Opinions on cleanliness of rooms...

lenshanem

DIS Veteran
I'm just curious what everyone's thoughts are on this. It seems I read a lot of posts on here about the rooms not being as clean as they would have expected when they arrived. I've even read on posts that they had to clean the bathrooms themselves when they got into the room. For the money we paid to join I don't except to clean the toilets or shower when I first start my vacation!

I personally would be very disappointed to check in and the room not be as clean as say if I had checked into a non DVC resort at WDW. Not to mention I would be embarrassed if I had my parents with me and they know how much money I spent to join.
(My dad works in the hotel industry anyway so it would make it even worse!)

We all paid a pretty penny to join and our dues are not small. I'm assuming that housekeeping is part of our dues and if the staff aren't cleaning the DVC rooms as they should then we are not getting what we paid for in dues, correct?

Is anyone concerned about this? Does anyone think this is starting to become a problem? I would like to know as I haven't stayed on my membership yet, only with rented points once at BCV shortly after it opened.

Thanks!

Is anyone concerned about this? Does anyone think this is starting to become a problem?
Not in the slightest. They are meticulously maintained.

I have stayed at OKW and VWL, and didn't think they were unclean by any means. Now I haven't been to WDW in almost 2 years, and it does seem that you hear more complaints lately. What I've heard most about was people cleaning the tub. I haven't heard of anyone doing a top to bottom cleaning of toilets and everything. The tub I could see cleaning due to the whirlpool part, wanting to flush it all, and maybe mousekeeping overlooks this, I don't know. Some people, and I'm not saying these ones, are clean freaks. I know people that are cleaning cleaning things just to clean it. You ever see that show "Monk". He's that way.

We stayed in BCV last Thanksgiving and the bathroom was a mess. I asked Mousekeeping to come back and reclean and they did a good job the second time around. I don't feel I should have had to ask that it be cleaned. At that time I was not DVC and paid cash (a lot of cash I might add) to book a 2 bedroom villa for 9 days. The floors had small pieces of trash (a used band-aid, kleenex shreds, etc.) and had not been mopped. This is not acceptable as far as I am concerned for Disney or any hotel chain. I did bring it to their attention and they fixed the problem when I did so but apparently there is an ongoing problem with this. I hope someone higher up is keeping up with the Mousekeeping complaints and will improve on this. I love WDW and love the DVC resorts which is why (once I talked DH into it) we are now DVC owners.

OK, this is what I am talking about. What rtwhite described is totally unacceptable to me. I thought BC was supposed to be a deluxe resort. I know BCV was added on, do you think they just have the attitude that we are suppossed to clean the villa part ourselves? I wonder if the BC part is this unkempt? I personally wouldn't spend that amount of money on a room at BC when I can stay at All-Stars for so much cheaper and the rooms there both times I have been were spotless. What rtwhite mentioned -a used Band-Aid on the floor is just plain gross!

With the amount of complaints I keep reading I would think DVC would be on top of this and things would start improving, but I've yet to hear that. It also seems many of these complaints are coming from BCV. Has anyone noticed any of these types of problems at the other DVc resorts? Sounds like BCV housekeeping needs a staff change! I hope the members that are staying with cleaning issues have informed DVC. I think just calling housekeeping isn't going to change things permanently. This sounds like something that needs to be addressed higher up.

Also, not maintaining the BCV like it should be will result in it needing refurb sooner and more often. This in return will result in higher dues for us BCV owners.

1) Contrary to other posts, we have NEVER been displeased with the condition of the room at check-in or during the stay.

2) ONCE, maintenance was still working on the Air Conditioning when we checked-in, but that was a momentary interruption.

3) We haven't been disappointed yet, and do not expect any in the future.

I have stayed at all WDW on-site DVC resorts except VWL,a nd have never found a problem. Most recently, we were at the BCV in Ocotber 2002, January 2003, and then OKW in July 2003, and the rooms were fine all 3 times.

It's not something I am concerned about.

I do agree that I would not find it acceptable to have to clean the bathroom myself pon checking in, nor would I. I would call Housekeeping and have them come back and do it again. But I also wouldn't think that a less than perfect bathroom was the beginning of the end either.

We have had to call housekeeping back a couple of times. The villa was not a "mess", but it was not up to the queen bee's standards. Housekeeping was always very apologetic, and took care of everything. They even through in a full cleaning, and a carpet shampoo. We didn't kick and scream or anything, they just insisted they do it.
As much as I hate to say it, I think housekeeping is one area the DVC should tighten up.
I do not think that housekeeping looks at DVC any different than a non-DVC resort.
I would still bet dollars to doughnuts that it is better overall than the vast majority of places in the local area. :cool:

We've stayed at the BWV and VB a total of 8 different times. Never had any problem whatsoever with the cleanliness of the rooms at either place.

That said, every resort/hotel in the world occasionally has problems, including those at WDW and the cream of the 5 stars. The test of a great resort is how they deal with problems. IMHO, Disney does a great job of resolving guest room problems. If you frequent the resort boards, you will always find one or more of the resorts undergoing some kind of "bashing". All of them have had a turn. We've stayed at many of them and never ever experienced anything remotely similar to what was described. While I'm sure that some do have problems, keep in mind this is an internet discussion board and people can post anonymously. I'm positive some posts are an exercise in creative writing - or at least in exaggeration!

People who have a complaint post a LOT more often than those who have a good experience. Don't let the negative posts spoil your anticipation - it's not worth it!

If you are one of the very, very, small percentage of guests that do have a problem, call Housekeeping and get it fixed - preferably while you enjoy one of the WDW attractions!

We've had problems at BCV; 11/02, the room was a mess, hangers on the dining table, dishes in the dishwasher, our shoes stuck to the kitchen floor when we stepped onto it, yellow mustard on the front of the TV cabinet in the master bedroom & a missing outlet cover in the entrance hall. We called and they sent up a housekeeping supervisor, housekeeping & maintenance, and all items were corrected.
I've found housekeeping at OKW & BWV to be a lot more thorough than BCV. We had a recent stay split between OKW studio & 1 bdrm, and BCV 1 bdrm, and OKW was great in both rooms, but not BCV. OKW was immaculate & everything was where it should be. At BCV, I found a mini chocolate chip cookie on the carpet in the living room and there were stains on the carpet. I didn't call this time; just picked-up the cookie, did a quick vacuum & tried to ignore the stains (it was only for two nights).
I think the management at BCV needs to pay more attention to the housekeeping issues.

On our last stay at OKW (8/16 to 8/29/03) we had the following problems

On arrival:
TV screen in the living room, little hand prints all over the screen. More than likely sun screen. That was the only thing then.

On the 2 full cleanings we got:
Did not appear to vaccum the carpets. Any room.
Did not refill or replace paper towels or dishwasher detergent, even after leaving a note and tip.
They did leave extra Tide boxs, which we did not use at all or request.

In my post above I should have been more explicit about our positive experiences on other stays. The stay at BCV was the first time we have had a problem with our room in the 18 years/13 visits we made to WDW (see signature if you want to know where we have stayed). One of the reasons I was so disappointed in the cleanliness was because BCV had only been open a few months. As was stated, we called housekeeping and the problem was rectified, I just felt that housekeeping should not be something we had to call about. Lack of a switchplate on a light switch, missing utensils, etc. would be something that would have to be excused. Cleanliness is expected at any resort, Disney or otherwise. We have traveled quite extensively and have had a few rooms that were not up to par in other places, but the question was asked and I answered about my ONLY negative experience. I would not have just spent money on DVC points had I thought this was a chronic or ongoing problem. All in all, I am very pleased with Disney resorts and especially DVC resorts.

I will preface my comments with letting you know, that we have only been to our home one time, and everything was fine. I have read many reports on this board about people having great rooms, clean, and in good repair. But for every four or five good ones, we hear a report of one that wasn't so well, and in my opinion that is far too many. Things like the above poster with the bandaid situation would almost make me sick. I would question whether or not someone had cleaned the room at all. How could someone miss these items, and isn't a supervisor supposed to be going behind and checking behind mousekeeping? Shan, I'm like you, If I showed up to a room like that with my parents in tow this December, I would be embarrassed. This will be there first trip to Disney since '89 and I don't want them to think that we have wasted our money. It is MHO that mousekeeping in some areas treats DVC differently than Disney's other resorts. Because of the lack of everyday housekeeping, I think they are a little lax. The reports of being handed towels through the door and never emptying the trash on trash and towel is an example of this I believe. Telling occupants to just put their trash outside the door, and someone will get it later. I think that mousekeeping isn't spending the time they need to on check out day in some cases to really deep clean some of these rooms, and IMHO the new room ready policy will only make this worse. Maybe they feel that we should be cleaning more ourselves, I don't know. I do think that it is something that DVC needs to address, and address it soon before the situation gets out of control. I don't mean to sound negative in any way, but for those that have had good experiences, and just dismiss those on this board that have not, is just hurting the case. It's everyone's vacation investment, and if things start to get lax, it's going to hurt us all. This board represents a small number of owners, and just the reports we see here are too many to not feel like it is an issue.

Originally posted by CarolMN

That said, every resort/hotel in the world occasionally has problems, including those at WDW and the cream of the 5 stars. The test of a great resort is how they deal with problems. IMHO, Disney does a great job of resolving guest room problems.
I agree completely! :cool:

I also think the most important thing is how they deal with the problems. It sounds like Disney does a pretty good job of dealing with any housekeeping issues.

I also have noticed a lot of negative comments about the housekeeping at BCV. Hopefully, they are dealing with it properly.

Maistre Gracey,

What's the meaning of your Kevin Bacon tag?

I have stayed more times for cash than DVC right now. My cash times are at AS's. Ok I have noticed a slip in housekeeping at all the reorts. We have not had a dirty room at all with DVC. We have stayed at VWL,OKW and BCV. I have had some light bulbs out and such but nothing else. My last trip was at ASMo. I think the room was not cleaned as well as I have seen in the past. Iit seems to be an attitude creeping into the housekeeping staff in general. I wonder if some of this is due to cut backs and expecting more from less. I don't kknow.

We have not had any major problems with the cleanliness of any of our rooms. When we checked into our room at BCV in July, the carpets were still damp because they had just been shampooed and the rest of the unit was immaculate.

I think when people post trip reports (I am the same way), you tend to point of all of the little negatives and pass over the positives. For instance, if the bathrooms hadn't been cleaned I would post this in my trip report, but if everything was fine with the unit I wouldn't post it because we expect everything to be fine. While housekeeping is an area that probably needs to be more closely scrutinized, I also try to keep in mind that given this type of work and pay, there is probably a high amount of turnover and difficulty hiring quality employees. As long as housekeeping addresses any issues in a timely manner to my satisfaction, I will be happy with that.

I've never had the least whiff of a problem with cleanliness in any Disney resorts, but I'll admit that at VWL a couple of weeks ago, I thoroughly inspected the studio, esp. the bathroom, just because reading these posts may have made me a little more sensitive.

Sounds like no matter what state your find your room in, housekeeping is REALLY good about making things right.

As an aside, I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in Phoenix back in June, and the room sure didn't seem as clean as it should've. I can assure you that one courteous phone call made the difference. I was astonished at the response and management's willingness to offer some, uh, restitution. I ate well that evening!

I stay in many different WDW resorts on a regular basis and I have never (knock on wood) gotten an unclean room in any of them. If I ever did though, I would call housekeeping immediately and expect the room/villa to be recleaned or to be assigned another room.

Rooms have always been up to our standards, including at BCV. Other people may have different standards.

I think when things are not cleaned properly, they are just mistakes and do not imply a matter of practice in the resorts.

It would be unreasonable to expect no mistakes to occur.

Personally, if I were to get a room that were not clean, I would call them, ask to have it cleaned and then move on to enjoy my vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter