• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Opinions needed re kids on their own

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goseethemouse

Mouseketeer
Okay, here is the deal: We will visit WDW in August. Boys are (almost) 11 and 8.5 and this will be their fourth trip to Disney. Both are reasonably mature/reliable.

Unfortunately, both boys are not exactly thrill seekers which means we skipped most "wild" rides (EE, Dino, etc.) and they did not enjoy some other rides (Splash Mountains, etc.). Now that they are bigger I am wondering whether it would be okay to go on my own while they are waiting/doing something else.

Please no flaming - I am not about to let them run around the park on their own all day. Really just looking for some feedback on what others would think is still okay.

A couple of scenarios:

Would it be okay to have them play at the Boneyard while I went on Dino (using Fastpass/single rider etc.to minimize wait time)?

If not, would it be okay for them to wait right at the entrance for a ride (say Splash Mountain) while I went on?

Finally, if the above is too much: Is it possible for them to go through the waiting line with me and wait at the ride platform (similar to child swap but without swapping)?

Would your opinion change if it was only one of the kids that was waiting (i.e. I and DS1 go on ride while DS2 waits)?

I am definitely not planning on doing this constantly. We will be at WDW for 10 days and I am thinking of maybe 5 rides or so in total that I would really like to try but that I know the kids will refuse/would hate.

So what does everyone think?

If you had no concerns, you would not ask the question. So in a way, you have already answered it for yourself. Wait until you can ride without worry

No flames here. However the answer to your question for me would be no. Maybe I'm just cautious...even paranoid, but IMO Disney is not the place to leave children that young alone even for 5 minutes, nor is it the CMs responsibility to watch them (if they stood on the platform to wait). If the kids were say 16 and up, I maybe would rethink it.

In my opinion, two kids those ages, together, would be fine walking through the ride line with you and then taking the chicken exit to meet you after the ride. You are talking about under 5 minutes you would be apart.
I am basing this off my own kids at that age and they wouldn't even have considered wandering off. They would have been glued to the exit and watching for me. If you think your kids would be scared or tend to wander, then my answer would be no.
My only concern would be: what if the ride broke down and I was on there longer than anticipated. Bare minimum, I would want them to have a cell phone so I could let them know what was going on and what I wanted them to do while they waited.
I do not know if Disney has a minimum age for children to be unaccompanied, but I'm sure you could find that on their website or someone on here can let you know.
Good Luck!

My answer would be no. My fear would be that they're kids, they're in wdw, anything and everything could grab their attention and they'd wander off...I'd never be able to enjoy the ride all I'd be thinking about are my kids.

I just got back from taking my 3 kids (10, 8, and 8).

We had a few rides where at least one of them didn't want to ride. I let the 10 year old ride alone a couple of times. I also let the 10 year old and one 8 year old ride together. I never left one or more of them to wait while I rode anything.

Do you let the 11 year old babysit or watch the 8 yo when you are not in the house? If yes then it wouldn't be a problem to have them go through the line and the exit and tell them to stay in the gift shop. But if you have not given them the experience of time without you at home - I would use Disney as the place for the first time.

I think WDW recently increased the minimum age for kids to enter a park without an adult to 14. It's possible I'm wrong about that, but hopefully someone will correct me if I am. In any case, I feel your pain about wanting to try rides your kids won't go on, but I think they are a little young to be left alone. Ultimately, it's your decision.

I think it would be fine to have them go through the line with you and then take the chicken exit, as long as you are very clear in your expectations about where they should wait.

I think WDW recently increased the minimum age for kids to enter a park without an adult to 14. It's possible I'm wrong about that, but hopefully someone will correct me if I am. In any case, I feel your pain about wanting to try rides your kids won't go on, but I think they are a little young to be left alone. Ultimately, it's your decision.

You are correct- but after you are in, you only have to be over the age of 7 to ride alone.

OP- I applaud you for raising independent children. I think as long as they know your expectations (ie- I will be on this ride, you may wait for me at X, Y, or Z) and you both have cell phones, they would be perfectly ok.

It *is* a busy time of year, and I would recommend taking them to the Secretary of State/BMV/DMV to get state issued photo IDs just for peace of mind

It depends on the individual kids. At 11 I would have no problem leaving my dd with her younger brother with instructions to "wait here" until I come back.
My other ds at 11 I wouldn't.

our kids through the line at Space Mountain. There is a lounge area (just the kids went) while we rode. They were in a protected area and it was a very short period of time so we were comfortable doing that.

I don't know what other rides have accommodations like that.

I think grabbing them a drink and a spot of shade close by and the wait would be a needed down time for them!

Every parent knows their own kids and clearly you know yours. Some 9 year olds are more mature than some 13 year pubescent middle schoolers! That said, if you feel ok to hop on the ride and allowing them the "chicken exit" just explain to them that they are to hold hands and stay at the end until you exit, as well. You pretty much can tell, scope out a ride where you exit from with regard to the chicken exit/regular exit. However, they may surprise you and ride along. Do one for mom...they may end up loving it.

I, however, wouldn't have them riding one ride while you are on another...that would make me more nervous only because it's easy to get disconnected. Do you have an extra cell phone for them, even a cheapy pay by the month one?
I probably wouldn't do it if I only had one child...two is a bit better.

I wouldn't, but when I was 8 and my sister was 11 my parent's wouldn't have hesitated. That was the 1970's, when the world was a different place. But I certainly understand parents that do that now, and you SHOULD be able to, theoretically, with no worries.

It's not the kids that are the problem, it's the other adults out there.

I would make sure the older one knew his instructions clearly, keep an eye on your little brother, and leave a form of communications with him. The suggestion of putting them on a bench by the exit with a coke or snack is how I would do it.

On a sociological note, I think it's a shame that we can't do things like that without worrying about something happening to our kids, or worse being charged with child neglect because everyone else has to have a hand in raising your kids.

Could they wait inline with you and then "chicken out"? They could exit and then you ride. It would cut way down on their wait time. Give the older one a phone in case the ride stops. Or walkie-talkies. A lot of the rides exit into gift shops. You could show them that first, "I'll exit at that door, you wait right in here."

How many/which rides do they not want to ride? I don't ride thrill rides, so I do ride Dinosaur. It's bumpy and jerky, but no flips or drops. Maybe watch the ride YouTube videos?

You know your kids best. I would let my 8.5 yo twins wait for me as long as they are together and I had a way to contact them. Especially if it was just for a few minutes (if they took the "chicken exit")

I think it would be fine to have them go through the line with you and then take the chicken exit, as long as you are very clear in your expectations about where they should wait.

I agree. I had to use the last minute exit when I couldn't ride because of an injury and I can tell you it's very easy and you are instructed where to wait for the other member(s) of your party. I think Twilight Zone has the best waiting area.

As for getting stuck on the ride should it break down, the chances of that happening aren't that great but the kids would know immediately since no one would be getting off the ride.

I would say go for it and see what happens. It's a shame we can't let our kids learn independence because we are so worried they are going to get scooped up in the five or ten minutes we aren't with them. We had a mother and daughter stay with us for a few months and the poor girl, at the age of 10, wasn't even allowed to play outside in our neighborhood - not even in the front yard - because her mother thought someone could drive by and snatch her. That's the state some parents are in these days. Overprotectiveness comes with a steep price when kids have to grow up and aren't allowed to.

It sounds like your kids are responsible or you wouldn't be considering it. If you knew they couldn't follow instructions or were going to do something impulsive, you wouldn't have thought of it.

11 and 8 year olds should be able to be trusted to be on their own for short period of time. I wouldn't worry about them killing 15 minutes in the gift shop while you ride something.

Just be very clear about your expectations, like you may go here, you shouldn't leave this area, here is the nearest bathroom, if you need to go, text me, here is what the cast members look like in this area, if you need help ask one of them, stick together.

Many kids in that age range walk themselves home from school, and I think that waiting in a theme park for a short time is on par with that. IMO, you are giving them life skills by letting them grow and mature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter