Opinion sought on Backstage Magic Dates

disneydani

Mouseketeer
I had a quick question for the ABD/DLR crowd. Our family of four (kids 17, 11) were originally planning to take the BSM tour June 10th as part family trip, part 20th wedding anniversary celebration. Between the new grad night schedule (on all of our DLR nights) and the opening of Carsland...I am a little worried about crowds and how everything will flow since this is still unknown territory. I have spoken with ABD and they don't seem to have any concerns that these two events will affect the tour at all.

We recently looked once again at dates and saw that we could also postpone the tour until December 16th. We have never been to DLR for the holidays and thought maybe this would be a great way to kick off the season. I am sure crowds will still be a concern but figure at least grad nights and the initial hoopla of Carsland will be gone.

Wondering what you all think? Thanks!

Dani

I am sure ABD will take good care of you at the parks--but nonetheless, I would also be concerned about grad nites (I had grad nite there--years ago--and it was crazy time, but back then we had it to ourselves overnight). The opening of the new cars section of CA will definately be a factor. What happens a lot is that the season passholders go to Disneyland in the first half of the day (and that park opens a little earlier), and then many come over to CA in the early evening (World of Color). It will be interesting to see what happens with the opening of Cars.

But...to answer your question re December: mid-Dec is a great time to be there, before the large holiday crowds (closer to Christmas and then up to New Year's). Nicely decorated, festive--the days are much shorter, and the winter hours are also shorter, so you have that to think about.

Weather-wise, early June has the "June gloom" but doesn't affect inland as much as coastal--and many of the schools will be letting out that week, so there may be a surge in traffic. With ABD, you may get VIP fastpasses and head of line surprises (especially for Cars)...

So, in balance: June offers longer days and hours, good weather, and your anniversary! December is less crowded (mid-Dec that is), colder (and by that I mean in the 60s and 70s during the day--maybe even into the 80s), but fewer operating hours. And you have to wait until December!

Hope this has been of some help--good luck with your planning!

I am doing the June 10 tour with my 11 year old daughter. I am sure that ABD will do whatever is necessary to get us priority access to the rides. Also I think we will be there for either the soft opening or official opening of Cars. It will be fun to get to be among the first guests to visit this new Land. Is your 11 year old a girl by any chance? There aren't too many kids booked on the June 10 tour. I hope you keep that date. I know my daughter will have more fun if there are at least a few kids her own age.

I'm not too concerned with Grad Nights for two reasons:
It only impacts DL and all evening entertainment will go on as scheduled for all park patrons. It won't close until 11 or so, so Fantasmic and all nighttime DL stuff will go on as planned.

Our planner also said that VbD takes of us by giving us fastpasses, although I'll believe that when I have them in my hand.

More concerned about Cars Land, if the opening is June15th, then our DCA day might be impacted if Media Preview is the 14th.

However, nothing is official about Cars Land, so anything is still speculation.

So, we are going, and whatever happens, happens, besides I'm more looking forward to the Muppett Studios than anything else.

Dolby1000

Thanks for all the great advice and insights! We are still waffling on dates but leaning more towards December....mostly because I think it may be one of the few opportunities we have to see DLR at the holidays....it is much easier for us to zip down to wdw than across the country to Cali. :)

dani

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter