Opinion on AK dining please, which would you choose?

Lovemy3babes

DIS Veteran
My ADR window is coming up and I keep changing my mind. Shocking. :rolleyes:

If you planned to be in AK for most of the day, which of these would you select? I will be dining by myself, with my four kids. They aren't really picky but aren't totally adventurous eaters either I suppose:

1. Yak and Yeti (either lunch or early dinner)
2. Tusker House (either lunch or early dinner - are characters at both meals?)
3. Bus over to AK after we're done for the day and eat somewhere there

I really cannot decide! What would you personally select? Thanks for any help! We have done none of these in the past so I have nothing to go from.

Characters are at Tusker House all day ad I love the interaction there so I would chose that! The Tusker House breakfast is one of my favorite meals at Disney! I have never personally eaten there for lunch or dinner.

We liked Tusker House. Our reservation was at the tail end of breakfast, so we were able to eat from both the breakfast and lunch menu. Our girls loved the characters, but they were in a rush. They seem to stay longer at other character meals.

For the kids, I'd choose Tusker House but for yourself I'd pick Yak & Yeti. We LOVE Yak & Yeti so much and would highly recommend it. You should look at the menu on All Ears and see if there are entrees you think your kids would like, and if so, definitely choose Yak & Yeti!

I haven't eaten at Tusker House, but my kids loved Yak & Yeti. It was one of their favorite meals of the trip. They love sweet and sour chicken though. lol

Tusker House. We enjoyed the food there while I haven't been too impressed with the food at Yak and Yeti, unfortunately.

If you want characters, I would choose Tusker House, if you do not care, I would choose AKLodge Boma. Animal Kingdom has rather short hours, so with Boma you would not have to take time away from attractions, and Animal Kingdom Lodge has savannahs and amazing activities that you could explore before or after a meal.

Tusker House for lunch or dinner. Both have characters. I think dinner is only slightly, mane an extra meat/entree or two, compared to lunch. The food and drinks are good, and the interaction is great. They have normal WDW kids food too, but the regular stuff is unique and a little adventurous.

If you & your kids aren't into character dining, I'd go to AK Lodge and eat at Boma. Go a bit early before your ADR to see the animals out back. Boma is prob the best buffet (but also $) at Disney World and offers interesting African-inspired dishes plus lots of North American staples & comfort food including a carvery, salmon plus some kid-centric selections.

You really can't go wrong with any of the options. Tusker House is the only character dining where we actually enjoy the food too. We typically do a late breakfast ADR (1045) and you get both breakfast and lunch at the breakfast prices. I'd likely do that and then end with a dinner at Yak n Yeti or AKL. I like Yak N Yeti but if given the choice would elect for AKL and either Jiko or Sanaa

I would do Tusker House just because of the characters OR Sanaa or Boma at the lodge. Check out the menus- Boma can be good for kids because it's buffet and has more options, but Sanaa with the views of the animals and the atmosphere is top notch!

Because you have children who aren't food adventurous, and I don't know if they'd like the choices at Yak and Yeti, I'd suggest going to Tusker House. As a buffet, there's something for every taste.

My wife and I prefer Yak and Yeti to Tusker House, primarily because every time we've eaten at Tusker House we invariably eat some combinations of individually tasty foods in such volumes that we don't feel like doing anything afterwards other than take a nap.

All good choices. The themeing at Y&Y is some of the best, and the food is good too. I prefer the buffet at Boma over Tusker House, but TH does have the characters. Now I'm hungry... and not really helping. You really can't go wrong with any on your list. Have a great time!

Both tusker house and Y&Y are great options, but may I suggest the 6:15 Hoop Dee Doo show? Great way to end a AK day since the park closes so early. We did this in 2013 and now it's a must do!!!

Dan

Characters are at Tusker House all day ad I love the interaction there so I would chose that! The Tusker House breakfast is one of my favorite meals at Disney! I have never personally eaten there for lunch or dinner.

We liked Tusker House. Our reservation was at the tail end of breakfast, so we were able to eat from both the breakfast and lunch menu. Our girls loved the characters, but they were in a rush. They seem to stay longer at other character meals.

For the kids, I'd choose Tusker House but for yourself I'd pick Yak & Yeti. We LOVE Yak & Yeti so much and would highly recommend it. You should look at the menu on All Ears and see if there are entrees you think your kids would like, and if so, definitely choose Yak & Yeti!

I haven't eaten at Tusker House, but my kids loved Yak & Yeti. It was one of their favorite meals of the trip. They love sweet and sour chicken though. lol

Tusker House. We enjoyed the food there while I haven't been too impressed with the food at Yak and Yeti, unfortunately.

If you want characters, I would choose Tusker House, if you do not care, I would choose AKLodge Boma. Animal Kingdom has rather short hours, so with Boma you would not have to take time away from attractions, and Animal Kingdom Lodge has savannahs and amazing activities that you could explore before or after a meal.

Tusker House for lunch or dinner. Both have characters. I think dinner is only slightly, mane an extra meat/entree or two, compared to lunch. The food and drinks are good, and the interaction is great. They have normal WDW kids food too, but the regular stuff is unique and a little adventurous.

If you & your kids aren't into character dining, I'd go to AK Lodge and eat at Boma. Go a bit early before your ADR to see the animals out back. Boma is prob the best buffet (but also $) at Disney World and offers interesting African-inspired dishes plus lots of North American staples & comfort food including a carvery, salmon plus some kid-centric selections.

You really can't go wrong with any of the options. Tusker House is the only character dining where we actually enjoy the food too. We typically do a late breakfast ADR (1045) and you get both breakfast and lunch at the breakfast prices. I'd likely do that and then end with a dinner at Yak n Yeti or AKL. I like Yak N Yeti but if given the choice would elect for AKL and either Jiko or Sanaa

I would do Tusker House just because of the characters OR Sanaa or Boma at the lodge. Check out the menus- Boma can be good for kids because it's buffet and has more options, but Sanaa with the views of the animals and the atmosphere is top notch!

Because you have children who aren't food adventurous, and I don't know if they'd like the choices at Yak and Yeti, I'd suggest going to Tusker House. As a buffet, there's something for every taste.

My wife and I prefer Yak and Yeti to Tusker House, primarily because every time we've eaten at Tusker House we invariably eat some combinations of individually tasty foods in such volumes that we don't feel like doing anything afterwards other than take a nap.

All good choices. The themeing at Y&Y is some of the best, and the food is good too. I prefer the buffet at Boma over Tusker House, but TH does have the characters. Now I'm hungry... and not really helping. You really can't go wrong with any on your list. Have a great time!

Both tusker house and Y&Y are great options, but may I suggest the 6:15 Hoop Dee Doo show? Great way to end a AK day since the park closes so early. We did this in 2013 and now it's a must do!!!

Dan

Thank you all so, so much for your opinions! I hate that I struggle so much over dining decisions. It's just food, right? ;) I have to decide soon so am taking all of these into consideration. Thank you for replying to me!

The cream cheese wontons at Yak and Yeti put it at the top of my list and service was swift. Ok it almost bordered on take out they did it all so fast, but those wontons covered in vamilla sauce, with vanilla ice cream and fresh strawberries and fresh pineapple (insert Homer Simpson drool nosie here) :cloud9:

We love breakfast at Tusker House, but have never done lunch or dinner. May I thow in another suggestion? For counter service, we love Flame Tree BBQ

Flame Tree barbecue

The cream cheese wontons at Yak and Yeti put it at the top of my list and service was swift. Ok it almost bordered on take out they did it all so fast, but those wontons covered in vamilla sauce, with vanilla ice cream and fresh strawberries and fresh pineapple (insert Homer Simpson drool nosie here) :cloud9:

We love breakfast at Tusker House, but have never done lunch or dinner. May I thow in another suggestion? For counter service, we love Flame Tree BBQ

Thank you!! I appreciate your thoughts!!

Because the hours are short at AK, unless I got a preopen breakfast I would not take the time for a sit down during the day. That goes against everything I usually preach (rope drop, nice refreshing TS lunch, FP's) but that is because of the hours. We had lunch at Pizzafari and that was enough to regroup for the afternoon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter