Open Letter to the Disneyland Resort regarding Soarin' Over California

And Radiator Springs isn't even in California - it's in Arizona!

That is probably true (interesting article: Cars Land inspiration: Greetings from Route 66 in Arizona), but with it being on Route 66 which runs to California, and cars being such a part of culture in California, I can see it being part of California Adventure.

I think it would be pretty great if they could keep the movie about California in one theater and the World in the other theater. Maybe they would need 2 different FPs? There are some logistics there that would have to be figured out, but sure they could do it. Initially they may need to just show "World" in both to meet the demand.

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy to see a new movie. We don't really go on Soarin' much anymore since we've seen it so many times. It's not worth the wait unless it's less than 15 minutes. It would be cool if each park could have a different movie but the cost and time of filming just one of these movies makes that a very expensive proposition.

I'm with the mixed emotion group as well.
I absolutely love:lovestruc the current version of Soarin. I love the Music, the sights and the scents.
I enjoy it so much that I bought the song to download.
I hope they keep with the theme and integrate scents.
Since they have multiple screens it would be nice to have the option to choose see the new movie or see the California version.

I would prefer that they offer both versions too in DCA, but it could indeed be a logistical nightmare and I doubt it would happen.

I can see why they are doing that though -- Over California video while still great is rather old and needs refresh, and they just did a new World version for Shanghai's Soarin'. Plus Over California in EPCOT is out of place in any case. So why not just modify the Shanghai version for both EPCOT and DCA? Save money so it would keep DLR ticket acceleration in check. ;-)

Actually, despite my sarcasm above, I'm sure I would enjoy Over the World. I think that's probably what Disney is banking on -- people would miss Over California, but they would still enjoy the new version in any case.

I am assuming they could change the film throughout the year.

Yet I hope they are able randomize the video so it would be a bit different every time you ride. Similar to Star Tours.

That is probably true (interesting article: Cars Land inspiration: Greetings from Route 66 in Arizona), but with it being on Route 66 which runs to California, and cars being such a part of culture in California, I can see it being part of California Adventure.

CLgbdtXUwAAkplW.jpg

This is from one of the stores in Cars Land. Even Disney admits it's in Arizona, which is interesting as they tried to double-down on the "California" theme elsewhere at the same time.

I have no problems with it - just find it kind of curious! :)

Tiki Room has always been lame.

Yes!!! I may have liked one version (New Management only for the humor) over another, but both were pretty boring - a nice respite from the heat at best.

As for Soarin', I will definitely miss the original version - the music, the smells, the sights. But it's been there for 15 years, and it needs to be fresh before it gets too old. Just take a look at Star Tours. At WDW, it would usually be 5-10 minute waits when we'd go during the off-season. Then they changed it to be different every time. You go to WDW or DL and the waits start at 25 minutes in the morning and then hover around 45-60 minutes for the rest of the day. Soarin' could use a freshening up. Yes, I'll miss that pine smell of the Redwood Forest and the scent of the orange groves. I'll miss it a lot. But I think DCA can't afford for one of it's two best rides to become stale. I only hope it's as good as the original.

Oh, and I hope they don't have two versions on each side. That would create line messes for the new version that everyone would want to see. It just wouldn't work without another theater.

My question is. If you're already filming a new Soarin' and you are planning to a opening within a year, why would you spend 1 dime on the old movie to make it HD?????
The film needed an upgrade, but I don't get that. Don't get me wrong I love some change and this one in particular.

I can only imagine that they offer 2 experiences after the first rush of the new movie.

Wait, what are the changes? Where do I read about them?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the original post. I hope it's not closed for our trip next year!

Wait, what are the changes? Where do I read about them?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the original post. I hope it's not closed for our trip next year!

I read something on Disney blog where the person who runs it asked after Soarin' reopened and part of the upgrade was basically they just have to switch out a flash drive and there's a new ride. I suppose with smells & such it might take the ride down to synchronize them but I would guess that would be limited.

There was some speculation at the time as to whether they were going to do some kind of holiday version or if it was just prep to change the ride. Like Oswald23, I find it odd that they just redid the movie before announcing a change. I figured that was assurance that they might do a specialty (holiday or other) version but wouldn't be changing completely. Obviously, I figured wrong. I do hope they find someway to allow guests both experiences.

A typical Disney thing to do would be to replace the old Soarin movie with the new one until people got tired of it, and then bring back the original one in time for DCA's 25th anniversary.
I can totally see that happening!

I think the Soarin' should focus on California, and let Epcot have the one that focuses on the world. That way when I go to Epcot, it isn't a repeat of DCA.

The first time I rode Soarin', I got off the ride thinking "really? People wait multiple HOURS for that?" But 2 or 3 rides, that music got me and now it is one of my favorite rides. I love the Single rider line at DCA--saves me a bunch of time.
I expect they will change the music as well as the film, but I am going to try to keep an open mind and look forward to the new film.

I agree with you! Epcot is a "world" theme, so it's fine to change it there. But California Adventure SHOULD remain a California theme. Or if they insist on the new world theme, why not offer both? One theater could be world theme and one could be CA theme.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter