Open Lesbian Student Not Included in School Yearbook

OMG. This is getting almost ridiculous, would be if it weren't so damn stupid.

How can a fully clothed person be omitted from the yearbook based on stupid gender bias? That's what is really going on here. A woman in man's clothes, not allowed. Not the fact that this girl is a lesbian.

Mississippi needs to drag its backward self out of the dark ages.

Hell, Cat Cora is from there. You'd think that would have made SOME kind of difference!

Mississippi needs to drag its backward self out of the dark ages.

One year I was in Jackson MS for Drum Corps. We were at a club, a "western" club downtown. A friend said "Hey they have better music across the street, lets go over there!"

So we go across the street....to the "other" gay club in town.

We were not allowed in......because it was the "Black" gay club!

We could only go to the "White" gay club! :mad:

We also would go to breakfast at a local diner every morning, and were quite shocked that the black patrons would just automatically go to the back of the restaurant to eat! Like that was what was expected of them! :eek:

Never again will I spend one thin dime in that state!

OMG. :(

Can't say as I blame you. :( It's something right out of bad movies, isn't it? :(

I'm not one of those "outing" sorts of people at all, but Harvey Milk's philosophy; that everyone needs to be out, comes to mind with a state like this.

Of course, FL isn't really all that far behind, so I can't bash Miss. overmuch. :(

That really stinks and to not even have her name listed is just terrible.

One year I was in Jackson MS for Drum Corps. We were at a club, a "western" club downtown. A friend said "Hey they have better music across the street, lets go over there!"

So we go across the street....to the "other" gay club in town.

We were not allowed in......because it was the "Black" gay club!

We could only go to the "White" gay club! :mad:

We also would go to breakfast at a local diner every morning, and were quite shocked that the black patrons would just automatically go to the back of the restaurant to eat! Like that was what was expected of them! :eek:

Never again will I spend one thin dime in that state!

I'm speachless... :confused: This wasn't 40 years ago, but recent...WOW!

This has me so angry right now! :headache::mad:

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/04/29/us-mississippi-lesbian-student-yearbook-excluded.html

I don't know if it's me but this past year seems to have more stories than usual like this.... or are stories just more in the mainstream now than in the past. :confused3

I'm angry too. What year is this people?? Have we not come ANY furthur than this??:sad2:

Wow, really? What is the purpose of excluding this girl, other than to belittle her?

Maybe she should have worn an Armani. :(

Even when a student doesn't have a photo their names are listed.

Pigs. That's what they all are. Pigs. They can't think beyond sex and their christian based hate.

Surely this is an open-shut discrimination case?

I'm not up to speed on US laws, but I'm sure British and EU laws would rule in her favour.

Surely this is an open-shut discrimination case?

I'm not up to speed on US laws, but I'm sure British and EU laws would rule in her favour.

Sadly the human rights act, that gets so much bad press in certain sections of the British press, does not apply in the USA! :sad2: For every story we have over here about criminals suing their victims etc the truth is that the sort of discrimination that this poor child is suffering just wouldn't happen in the UK due to the human rights act.

It really is about time some of states in the USA got into the 21st century...hell they need to get into the 20th century they are that far out of date! I really don't understand what harm this girl is doing in any way to anyone in wanting to wear perfectly 'decent' clothing in her yearbook picture. If she had worn jeans and a t-shirt would that have been acceptable?

I'm just staggered and appalled that this is allowed to happen...:mad: :sad2:

Unfortunately, the South is about 20 yrs still behind the rest of the nation. Not that it's an excuse, but honestly, I don't expect much from (most of) them.

This is just disgusting. I alternate between being embarrassed and angry and sad that this is my country (the one where we claim we treat everyone equally) where this stuff happens.

I truly do not know how people live with themselves when they act this way:headache: It is behaviour that would be unbecoming in 5 year olds and is reprehensible in adults.

The school can deny the photo if it wasn't taken by the photography studio or the school itself. Yearbook companies are very strict on where photos come from. Now with this story I don't know if the girl had the photo taken on picture day at school or if mom took her somewhere else to have the photo taken. If she went somewhere else, then the yearbook company would be violating copyright laws. Now when someone is absent and doesn't get retakes at the school, most schools will insert a blank space and put the persons name under it or on the last page of the section, will print a list of the people they did not have pics for.

If the school has an actual yearbook class, then at times students in the class will go take pictures of those who did not get official taken and will create a candid page of pics for those students.

As to her name being left out entirely was way out of line if done on purpose which one would assume after all the other hoopla that occurred. Why do people put so much emphasis on a persons sexual preference? Isn't it more important to know more about a person character?

As to the reference to the south being 20 years behind. I totally disagree. I have lived in the south all my life and have seen things change for the better.

As to the reference to the south being 20 years behind. I totally disagree. I have lived in the south all my life and have seen things change for the better.

Move to the North and you will see the difference. Some change perhaps, but the South still has a long way to go.

Trust me when I say that racism is still alive and well in the South. Even in Dallas, which still hasn't decide whether or not it's officially "the south" or not. Luckily, we're not as bad as some of the true Southern states. I'm still amazed at the things I see and hear.

I SO agree Z, it's everywhere. This is a HUGE slam in this girls face. My heart goes out to her. :sad1:

Move to the North and you will see the difference. Some change perhaps, but the South still has a long way to go.

Too cold for me in the north. I wouldn't make it through the first winter. Also, a good friend of mine moved south, because of the discrimination he encountered living in the NE. He loves living here, because he feels more accepted.

Too cold for me in the north. I wouldn't make it through the first winter. Also, a good friend of mine moved south, because of the discrimination he encountered living in the NE. He loves living here, because he feels more accepted.

Really? In the south, he feels protected? I live in the south and there are STILL places we go that we are very watchful of. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter