• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Oooohhhhh Nnnnnooooooo

padalyn

Truth is stranger than fiction - you really can't
Oh dear...I have been reading the polls - please tell me I am reading this wrong.

It seems that in Florida,Arizona & California the defination of marriage is between one man and one woman??????

Please, someone tell me I am wrong....please????

Don't forget Arkansas...we can't adopt there.... and California is still very much up in the air....

My partner, who is black, suggested to me that the gay marriage issue is being driven by the black vote. Although blacks are mostly democrat, they are also conservative.

MIKE!!! You're in Glenn Dale?!? I'm at work in Laurel..... :goodvibes

Sadly, I think your partner is somewhat correct......

Don't forget Arkansas...we can't adopt there.... and California is still very much up in the air....

Oohhh, I just got back from a dispatch, now I can't find that story again. Seems MSN just dropped it off the page. I am actually a little nauseous from this. I really thought that we had progressed a little further than this.

A sad day. :sad1:

If anyone has a link to the latest info, please post it - I can't find an answer about Calif on MSN, MSNBC or by doing a google search.

thanks in advance.

It's looking pretty bad for us tonight on every ballot about same sex couples. :sad1:

PROPOSITION 8-SAME-SEX MARRIAGE BAN
Total Reporting:81%
Name Votes Pct.
YES 4,485,567 52%
NO 4,167,259 48%

LAST UPDATE: Nov-05-2008, 02:03 AM Pacific Standard Time

thanks for posting that website....

It's looking pretty bad for us tonight on every ballot about same sex couples. :sad1:

I agree - I guess the country isn't really ready. So sad that fear of what isn't understood can stop other people's happiness. My work partner and I had a conversation about this earlier in the shift - we agree - take the word marriage out of the text. This would keep the churches "happy", a lot of couples have civil ceremonies in a courtroom, this technically isn't a "marriage" in the eyes of the church.

Oh well - I guess I will just stop whining now.

<takes a huge sigh and tries to get over the upset>

Amendment 2 passed. I'm so sick of Florida right now it's making me ill :(

I'm with you ConcK. I'm not going to try to get over it. I am sick and completely disgusted.

One step forward, ten steps back.

There was a great article in the St. Pete Times that explained that the large African American vote would determine Amendment 2. Believe it or not 20 % of Republicans did not support it. African Americans are more against gay issues. I wish people could get over the word "marriage." It is sad that in this historic election, that discrimination shows ots evil face once again. My son was so sure this would not pass. I am so sad for him. I kept saying it would pass because of the large African American vote. Why can't people just agree that all people deserve the same rights as others? Religion does not belong in government. In this era of political correctness, sadly the gay and lesbian community are the last to be accepted as equal to the rest of society.

DS12 is doing an election notebook and one of the articles we cut out said that exact thing about the black vote in CA. With increased turnout in back voters it made Obama more likely to win but GLBT rights were more likely to be stomped. I am sure there are still plenty of other factors that played into it, but that didn't help.

I am so sorry these amendments passed in so many states. :grouphug:

What does this result mean for those who had already married in California...Like Ellen? Please don't tell me the law now considers those marriages not legal, now....:sad1:

What does this result mean for those who had already married in California...Like Ellen? Please don't tell me the law now considers those marriages not legal, now....:sad1:

Very early this morning (somewhere around 5 I think) I read an article in one of the San Fran papers, there is a group that is going to try to get all the marriages that were made during the allowable time frame dis-avowed (what ever that is supposed to mean) I took this as a group that feels the judge that approved the law "forced" the against community to "tolerate" these marriages. And as such, they want them all disolved, nullified or what ever word is the worst.

As of now - those folks who married in Ca (like my 2 friends - partners of 15 years who decided they had better do it whilst they could) will stay married.

I hope this splinter group of nasties does not get their words heard.

I think it is terrible that there are so many close minded people in FL. Marriage should be defined as two people that love each other. The people that voted yes in FL should be ashamed of themselves!!!!

I can honestly tell you that this disgusts me too, I am a married man with 4 children and I do not see what is wrong with letting gays marry, people are just stuck in the 1950's or something. All I know is that I am teaching my kids about equality and such so hopefully when this generation gets old enough they will change how things are percieved now. I just don't get how everyone can be in a uproar over a 70 year old man being told he can't work somewhere anymore because he is too old, we start screaming discrimination but when 2 guys or girls want to get married and can't then that is okay with the majority, it is okay to discriminate some of the time I guess for thos people. I am sorry things went this way for you, just keep fighting and hopefully you will win.

Yes, wallyb it is. The happiness of Barack's win is overshadowed by learning that Florida is still a backward state that breeds and upholds intolerance and hate.

I'm not so sure I can stand it here, anymore. Of course, in leaving we've only given "them" what they want, eh? :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter