• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ooohh the Hostility!!

Johnnie Fedora

My cup is not 1/2 full or 1/2 empty, it's just 50%
I just hung the 2006 calandar and have created a backlash of workplace hostility. :mad: I have 4 DVC trips planned for 2006 (several are two weekers). Co-workers marvel at my time-off. :scratchin I get fewer vacation time then most of them. I just tell them I save my vacation days for vacationing. Many of my co-workers fritter away their time a day here and there :rolleyes1 and complain they can't ever go anywhere. :guilty: I never discuss my trips (where I'm going, etc.) unless people specifically ask.

Any of you experience similar senarios??

Same here. My vacation time is for Disney. We try 2 to 3 trips per year. Same issues with workmates, friends and some family. DH and I palyed a little game anddecided from now on we will reveal our trips to Disney in this fashion:
If staying at SSR we are going to New York. OKW to the Florida keys, BWV are a trip to Atlantic City, VWL the pacific Northwest and BCV the ocean!

We have that problem too. Last year we went on 3 vacations. 2 had to do with Disney. Being from California doesn't help since people cant figure out how we can afford to travel out of state.

My husband works hard and we do budget alot. Our friends wear more up to date clothes as well as their teenagers. They and their kids wear 100.00 new shoes every 3 months. I hardly see them wear the same clothes again. My poor teenagers. They shop at Macy's, we shop at Mervyn's. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that either. Please just don't judge me for what I like to spend our money on.

Makes it hard for rides to the airport...lol :)

I figure it just boils down to pure jealousy. I get two weeks of vacation time a year and I actually use it to vacation! Imagine that! When people ask me where I'm going, it's become "oh, don't even tell me, Disney again!" and I get the eyeroll from people. I don't even care. I work really hard, I go to school full time, AND work full time, and I feel I DESERVE to go away. When DFi and I purchased DVC almost 2 years ago, it was like a dream come true! Now we could go away every year and not have to worry about how to pay for it! We save enough money through the year for spending money, and always have a great time! I don't understand the people in my workplace who take time off to STAY HOME. It completely baffles me. But, if that's what they want to do, so be it. Going to Disney is what I love to do, and no one should complain about it.

When we booked our honeymoon, my coworkers were like "let me guess, Florida again"...and I said "No...we're going to DISNEYLAND :earboy2: ", LOL.

Oh yes, I hear you! I now get about 6 weeks/year (which is the NORM back in Germany) and have masses of airline and car rental points from being on the road so much. (they are a small perk for the rigours of travel and for being away from home so much, much as I love the travel and seeing new places)

I use every minute of my vacation time - ie I leave as early as I can and return at the very last minute.

Everyone makes choices in life, and hopefully does what works best for them. My vacation habits work best for me....

I get hostility from family. They just don't understand my love for WDW. They were really hostile when we bought in July. They think it is a waste. NOT TO ME!! I tell them. They vacation their way and I vacation my way. But they have been the first to ask when I am booking a whole family get a way. NOT!!!:guilty: Well I might in the future.

lovinthemouse said:
I get hostility from family. They just don't understand my love for WDW. They were really hostile when we bought in July. They think it is a waste. NOT TO ME!! I tell them. They vacation their way and I vacation my way. But they have been the first to ask when I am booking a whole family get a way. NOT!!!:guilty: Well I might in the future.

don't your family won't appreciate it.

and on top of that they will expect it again and again...

so don't - show them your expenses and tell them they need to pay half - that hopefully will stop the complaints....

Johnnie Fedora said:
I just hung the 2006 calandar and have created a backlash of workplace hostility. :mad: I have 4 DVC trips planned for 2006 (several are two weekers). Co-workers marvel at my time-off. :scratchin I get fewer vacation time then most of them. I just tell them I save my vacation days for vacationing. Many of my co-workers fritter away their time a day here and there :rolleyes1 and complain they can't ever go anywhere. :guilty: I never discuss my trips (where I'm going, etc.) unless people specifically ask.

Any of you experience similar senarios??
Maybe if these people smartened up and joined DVC, they too could take great vacations! DH used to be a "vacation day fritterer"-a day here, a day there, mostly to play golf. The joke (not so funny) at the end of the year was "So how many vacation days didn't you take this year?" This was a major reason he consented to joining DVC-it would force him to take weeksof vacation together. And it's worked so well, I recommend it to everyone.

Imagine the response I get when I tell friends I'm going to WDW BY MYSELF!!!! For a WEEK!!!!! I've taken 2 solo trips and have plans for a third next year. I'm also taking my daughter to WDW on her spring break - a week at BCV - and we're spending 5 days at HH in July as a family. Because we're driving and have APs from last year, those two trips are costing me very little. But you'd think I'd robbed a bank the way some people react!!!

I'm a therapist and firmly believe people need take care of themselves. If I am going to help other people with their problems, I need to take care of myself. I LOVE and NEED my vacations to tend to myself. People always say "are you going away again??????" The answer is always "YES!!!". I work hard and I play hard. To me vacations are a very important part of self care, and I never get tired of Disney.

People just never get that you never get tired of going to WDW except other people like us :)

I always feel as if we need to apologize to the our family for heading to WDW again. I say things like, "We have to go, otherwise we lose our points, and points are money." :rolleyes: Otherwise, we'd be stuck "visiting" them during the time we're normally at WDW.

We get the same from friends & family...they just don't get it.

My fav is when they comment "...again, aren't you tired of WDW yet?" Duh - no!

We tell them we're on our early retirement, usually silences them.:earsboy:

Off to finish packing for 1st trip home...hee hee!

I have the same problem. I get the "your going to Disney AGAIN, But you don't have kids?!" Someone tell me where it is written that you have to have children to go to Disney! My DH and I both work 2 jobs and really don't spend as much one on one time as we would like. Disney helps us do that. I too get two weeks a year and plan like crazy to maximize them.

OKWJan said:
I'm a therapist and firmly believe people need take care of themselves. If I am going to help other people with their problems, I need to take care of myself. I LOVE and NEED my vacations to tend to myself. People always say "are you going away again??????" The answer is always "YES!!!". I work hard and I play hard. To me vacations are a very important part of self care, and I never get tired of Disney.

People just never get that you never get tired of going to WDW except other people like us :)

Jan is that you?!?

Could we schedule my next therapy session down at OKW (I have my own points). I think that the therapeutic melieu will be so much effective in that setting.

By the way, the voices are gone!

-Tony

Disclaimer: Please read if you were upset by this post, otherwise if your sense of humor is functioning, please ignore it! OKWJan doesn't know me, and I'm not making fun of her or mental health issues, just trying to be cute, as in, two acquaintenances meeting up in cyber-space and discovering their mutual love of Disney

I get the "You should be tired of Disney by now." I am sorry but when we are down there we are already planning the next time we are coming. I need to have that "something to look forward too" in the next year. That is a great motivating factor for me. I work with alot of co-workers who just take time off and stay at home. To me, that is nothing to look forward to.

Glad to see it is just not me. :)

Our WDW vacationing is getting more difficult these days. The division of the company DH has worked for for 35 years was sold last year. He retired from the original company but kept his same seniority and position with the new company. The problem is that the new company doesn't believe employees should get as much vacation time as he was getting with the big international company. The first year they put a vacation time cap at 25 days. DH was getting 32 days at the old company, so he lost 7 days a year in one swipe of the pen. Now they have decided to cut another 5 days next year, so he will be down to 20 days of annual vacation. We are used to taking 2 7-10 day DVC trips a year plus some other travel, so this is a big change for him. Since he is of retirement age, it is also a hassle he doesn't want right now. I guess it might mean he'll just have to take some unpaid time off.

greenban said:
Could we schedule my next therapy session down at OKW (I have my own points). I think that the therapeutic melieu will be so much effective in that setting.

By the way, the voices are gone!

-Tony

That's funny my sessions haven't elimnated the voices, but I can't complain. Now I can see who I'm talking to.

Just remember when someone is giving you flack that you are very loved at WDW, especially by DVC. VCGs loooooooooooove to hear the stories of how many trips you take, how you have used your points. I have heard so many great stories, one of my members took their grandmother who had never left her hometown before (if I recall I think she was 85) and literally drove her to WDW. (She thought she was going to get her hair done). They had four two bedroom villas with their whole family there. I probably told that story 100 times to guests. Call your guides, they want to hear about your trips, especially if you have a newbie. Send them an email. First name.last name@disney.com most of the time.

one of my members took their grandmother who had never left her hometown before (if I recall I think she was 85) and literally drove her to WDW. (She thought she was going to get her hair done).

Soooo -- at 85 either her attention span wasn't like it used to be....or, they didn't drive from Wisconsin I'm guessing?
:earboy2:

Seriously - great story! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter