Ooh, the monorail DOES smell funny... (almost finished!) [11/30-12/17, 2010]

I love looking out the window of a plane. To me it all looks like one great big beautiful quilt.:goodvibes

Yes, it was really neat!

SW and Alaska Air really make me miss Virgin America. I love the map function in their "Red" system that allows you to see where you are. But I had no idea where we are, unless I went by the cocktail napkin's map of their routes LOL. No wait, that was on Alaska, I just had no clue on SW.

We finally got outside, and I felt the muggy Florida air. Ahhhhh, mugginess.

Well I hope that I appreciated it, because that was about the last night I felt that warm and humid feeling!

Found our way to National, got confirmation that we just got to pick whatever from "that row" of cars. Hubby wanted to get a towncar type of car! Dude, we HAVE a towncar type of car. "It would fit all of our luggage." Well that's true, but how fun is it to just drive your own car????

There was that weird new Kia something or other that he's been drooling over, and as I was pointing that out (and realizing our luggage was NOT going to fit into that) I noticed a lucky guy throwing his stuff into a cool SUV. Then I saw another, bigger, but not as cool looking, SUV on the other side of him, and figured we'd go get that. I'm not big into big tall cars, but when in Texas and Florida, and to an extent in Montana, I WANT the big tall one, because everyone else seems to have one! I want the extra bulk LOL.

As we approached, the guy started taking stuff out of the cool SUV. I got up to him and said "are you taking that one?" He said no, that his equipment wouldn't fit. I indicated that we'd be taking the one he was abandoning, which was the Dodge Nitro.

I noticed his equipment, and asked if he was a photgrapher. Yep, he was a DISNEY photographer. I tell you, it took all the willpower I had to not toss Eamon in front of him and say "look at this face, LOOK at it!" LOL. But it had been a late night and early morning, with a long flight, and none of us were at our best, so I figured I wouldn't embarrass us. He and I joked about the REAL memories that were created daily in the parks, the ones caused by low blood sugar and long days...that was amusing. :)

Meanwhile Robert was loading the Nitro, and then I needed to install the carseat. The guy gave us some directions (fairly decent directions) and took off. Because it was Florida-hot at that point, I was sweating by then, especially once I had to squeeze into the carseat to get it really tightly installed. I don't sit in it of course, but I put my knees down into the seat to get it tight, which means I have to get into the back seat backwards, and that's not the way I fit best. I was a mess!

We got squared away, changed the credit card info on our reservation (they had hubby's work card for some reason, even though I changed it), verified the total, and we were off!

By the way, thanks to some excellent codes and coupon IDs (OK, one of each), I got basically 17 days of rental car for $311 plus change. While that's a goodly sum, when you think about how long the rental was, it's not bad at all.

And then came the FUN of driving in Florida! It's nowhere near as aggressive and frightening as driving in Miami, I will give it that. But you've got everyone, almost everyone, with FL license plates, so you can't tell the tourists, and people in different states drive differently from people from other different states...it's a madhouse. And then, the TOLLS!

I tell you, tolls and tips were the banes of my existence! In fact, tolls and tips should go into my list of possible titles. Tolls and tips and cold fronts, oh my!

Yes the toll roads are beautiful. Yes I can see where the money goes. Yes they are convenient. But OH my goodness how can people live with all those tolls? 50 cents, drive 2 miles, 75 cents, drive 4 miles, a dollar, drive 7 miles...auuuuuuuuuuugh.

But we were prepared with dollars and quarters, I was navigating while Robert was driving, it worked out. And it wasn't so late that the change-givers weren't there, so if we had gotten into a jam, we could have gotten change.

MCO really isn't that far away. That night it felt like it was, but we had the opportunity to get out onto the roads and get progressively better and better maps, and it's really not that far.

We never did make it to Whole Foods, but then we saw it as we left Universal. It's *right there*. And Universal is just a small number of miles up I-4 from the WDW exits. We ended up going up 4 and east on 528 to go back to the airport, that was EASY. Way better than 417 and 536 and whatever else craziness we did on the way to WDW that first night!

So I have some good maps. Tracey, Michele, anyone else in the planning stages, let me make copies or point you to the good ones. I had no maps, I was clueless, which is why I was getting directions from a Disney photographer on the Emerald Aisle 5 minutes before getting on the highway!

It doesn't seem right to get to WDW without a picture....I need to see what I can do about that. For now, I'm posting this!

I have to tell you that I was reading the part about the carseat to Scotty. And I must tell you I was laughing too in spite of myself. And the toll roads would drive me nuts.

You reminded me I needed to clarify that paragraph, thanks! But I'm glad it was funny. :) It never feels all that funny while installing carseats but it is an amusing thing to watch, that's for sure!

You reminded me I needed to clarify that paragraph, thanks! But I'm glad it was funny. :) It never feels all that funny while installing carseats but it is an amusing thing to watch, that's for sure!

It was all in how you worded it about being backwards in the backseat and it not being your best. It was funny. You have a talent with words.

I'm lovin' it so far ~ looking forward to more. And hey I :lovestruc Psych *so does my 10 year old! And I have been known to sit in a car seat to get it as snug as possible :)

I'm in Molly! I can't wait to read more about your Florida adventures!!

Hey! I'm here too--can't wait to hear all about it!

Loving it so far!!!! :thumbsup2

The hubster is Robert. I might be the budget-watcher, the one that made our money create this trip, but he's the one that made the money. Yay him! He also helps with the homeschooling. And the dishes. And cooking. Hmm, what is it I actually do around here? He might need to renegotiate his contract soon. Hmm.

This is fantastic! I love your writing style!

Wonderful start Molly, and I will take you up on the good map:) I have to say, giving up the car seat was a happy day for us, and now we are even without a booster. Love it! It has always amazed me how few people install their carseats correctly!

How exciting to have so many readers! And I see some Disneyland Divas in there, I am completely thrilled about that as well!

I have to go out shopping soon, but I've decided that with no easy fix to the Mac, and with a possible Disney Snowball Effect (or as Robert calls it, a bonus for having planned our WDW trip) about to happen for me (which would be about the same cost as getting a new cheapie computer (hmm, maybe this would be a good opportunity for just a netbook)), I'm going to have to work out the Robert-computer/photobucket/pix on external hard drive conundrum. Because I can't drag out this beginning, and I cannot get us up to the "gates" of WDW, without pictures SOON!

More blather before shopping...

E's first BIG molar just came through. This is one of the permanent ones, the 6-7 year type. And it came out differently than all the rest. Popped through on the inside side of his gums if that makes sense, then popped through on the cheek side of his gums, and now I guess we're dealing with an "eruption cyst", which looks absolutely horrid! Totally fine, a variation of normal, but that tooth went from little nubs showing to WHAMMO, I'm here, get used to it! :upsidedow

And as I prepare for going out in the world, I realize the potential for an Owners Locker (for those not WDW-minded, a local family has created an enterprise where you get big plastic bin, and they'll store it for you between WDW trip. can put Disney clothes, can put coffee makers, waffle makers, whatever else you like having at WDW but don't want to cart back and forth...many keep liquor in them so they don't have to keep re-buying), because I cannot use Tide or All! My shirt, last washed at WDW, reeks of that perfume!

What's weird is that I can't smell it when at a theme park, and I actually quite like the Tide my sis in law uses while we stay at her place. But once I'm home, yucko, cannot handle it on my clothes.

Just not sure about the expenses for the Locker just to store OK-for-me detergent, salt and pepper, coffee filters, and that sort of thing. :upsidedow

We haven't used a laundry soap with a scent for years. Loren is allergic to the perfumes they put into it. My senses get absolutely blasted when I am at the store and I go down the laundry needs aisle. We use "free" detergents which are better for the environment anyway so it is a win win for me.

OH the laundry aisle is so hard for me! ONe of the many reasons we used cloth diapers is that I can easily go into a sneezing fit while walking down the diaper aisle at the stores...so it's definitely WEIRD that I can use Tide while at my brother's. Maybe it's the flight thing? My nose stops working, or something? Not sure. Can't use it at home, though! Tried to use the same Tide that sis in law uses, and about a week or two later my skin itched SO badly, it was awful. Then I switched to a lavender scented detergent, and 1-2 weeks later my skin itched WORSE. Felt like blades were inside my clothes.

We've been using the Trader Joes powder the last 6 months or so. Not sure how effective it is at cleaning (our HE machine that is in our condo is pretty bad and gets musty) but it doesn't make me want to run screaming from my clothes.

We use a All that is a free and clear liquid. Loren isn't affected by it. I cannot use Tide no matter what. My mom used it when I was a kid, and it tore me up.

For those who have not yet been to WDW, it's enormous. Seriously. Words really cannot describe.

I thought I had a handle on it. It's about the size of Tacoma. It's twice the size of Manhattan. Yep, got it.

Oh dearie me. I didn't get it.

They have big highway-type roads (some at 50 mph) with actual highway type signs telling you where to go. I guess I was expecting lots of smaller roads, like inside a city. But no, they are big signs with exits and onramps and cloverleafs and all of that. Who can expect THAT?

We took all the appropriate turns. And all of a sudden we saw the distant Walt Disney World sign, all lit up! Wowie! I made sure Eamon was aware of it.

As Robert drove, Eamon and I reacted... I yelled "look, look!", and "it's Disney World", and then Eamon put on a rock and roll gruff voice and yelled "it's DISNEY WORLDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!"

And then Robert teared up b/c his family members were so happy and excited and it was all goopy in the car. Sigh.

We found our way (with the help of the big signs) to Caribbean Beach Resort, and parked in the check-in lot and went on in!

IMG_2859.jpg

IMG_2862.jpg

Oh boy...they were having system upgrades. UGH. We had planned to pay with part of a giftcard I'd earned, to pay the rest of the room off. Alas, they couldn't run giftcards. So we had to give them a card. And they couldn't properly run cards, so they had to haul out the old cling-clang machine, the hand-run card machine that makes the carbon copy (but without the carbon). I hadn't seen one of those in quite awhile!

Sherry mentioned on her own trip report that she likes getting the packets from Disneyland Resorts when she checks in...they use the same thing at WDW, let me tell you! We got our packet with our map of the resort and all sorts of info, along with a big apology letter of "this is what we are doing, this is when it will stop, here's what you can and cannot do during the upgrades"...

The lady gave E a "pirate" hat (really just an ad for the Pirate League thing) because we were booked in a pirate room, gave us slightly confusing directions, and we were off.

Oh wait, just like at DLR, they have the TVs with the kid seating area with the old-time cartoons that suck in Every Single Kid I've ever seen pass by those TVs (who aren't attached to a parent dragging them away). So we had to wait a minute. OK we didn't have to, we chose to. Because even though E can see TV at home, he can't see those OLD cartoons, because we don't have them on DVD and don't know where to find them on cable!

Wearing the hat, watching the cartoons, standing in the lobby. It's a pretty lobby, and most pictures I'd seen just show the lobby, no people. I felt that showing him in the lobby would be nice, because it gives a bit of perspective.

IMG_2860.jpg

OK, now we could go.

How funny E looks so intense on what he is watching. I love the classic old cartoons. I bought a dvd set with the old war propaganda cartoons, I love watching those. I would be just as intense as E.

That lobby looks huge!!

I knew it was big but the scope of how big is amazing.

Our first time we also did not expect it to be that big. We had a car the first time and definitely got lost at least a couple times with all of the turn offs and cloverleafs (even with all of the big signs :rotfl: ). Fortunately, the second time we used Disney transportation and they handled it all!

DLR29, do you have a name we can call you? Seems so odd to still be calling you by your username. :)

Anyway, we found that Overpass Road was our friend! It was a shortcut between, um...OK now I forget, but a couple times we took it by accident, and then once I realized that I could have taken it to save some time!

We also noticed that all roads eventually lead to where you want to be, though it might take some extra time.

Hahaha, my name is Stephen. Ya that's weird how I haven't revealed my true identity ever!! :eek:

BTW,
Merry Christmas!!!

:santa::santa::santa:

Yay for Stephen! It totally makes sense that you've been incognito until now- after all you were in high school etc.

And now I'm thinking back on my first winter break from college (sometimes it's weird that I stayed in my college town)...sigh. ON the way to the airport I encountered black ice for the first time (I wasn't driving, the college ran a shuttle for us, but it was still scary!), and took my first red-eye flight, and discovered the beauty of O'Hare airport at ~2am...all at a brand new 18 years old! And then got to see Miami for the first time, since that's where my mom had moved just after taking me from the hometown of San Jose up to college in WA. Miami is not a bad place to spend school breaks in! :3dglasses

Now see what you caused? Nostalgia! :upsidedow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter