Ontario brides - trouble using marriage certificate to change name?

woodstoforrest

Earning My Ears
My hubby and I had a magical Disney wedding on January 22nd of this year. We received our marriage certificate after the wedding and I've had no trouble changing my name on my utilities, with the federal government or my Ontario health card.

Just this morning, I went to apply for a driver's license in my married name and was flat out refused, told that my marriage certificate was not good enough for them to accept it as change of name. The document I was using is from the county clerk in Dade County, State of Florida, and is a certified true copy (as the original is on file with the county in Florida) with a seal and a stamp and signature to verify it as such. Still, according to the MTO, it's not worth the paper it's written on. I am in a position now where I will be unable to get a driver's license in my married name. If I am to go forward with getting a license in my maiden name, it will not match the name on the insurance or the vehicle registration... All of my other ID is now in my married name.

I have yet to change my Canadian passport over to the married name because it's an expensive proposition, close to $200 I just don't have at the moment, and I would have to go through the entire passport application process, which is a nightmare. Not to mention now I'm concerned that they won't accept my marriage certificate either!

Has anyone encountered anything like this? Any advice?

Did they say what they would accept as proof of a name change? I'm sorry that I can't help :confused3 I worry about what will happen when I go to change my name on everything after my wedding. I hope someone can help you or come through with an answer. :wizard: good luck!

I didn't have any problems using my marriage certificate in Ontario (was married in Bermuda) to change my name. As you said, the certificate I have is a legal copy with a seal and signature to verify it. This was back in 1998 and maybe they have changed their policy.

I just checked the MTO website and it says in order to change to your married name you must have "Marriage Certificate (issued by governments)" and a
"Change of Name Certificate". I am not sure what a change of name certificate is and it doesn't give any details. Maybe the licensing centre can give you more detail. Even though it cost $200 to change your name on your passport, it may be easier to get your license changed if you did the passport first.

Hi there!

I too got married in Disney in May and I too live in Ontario. I am going through the exact same thing as you are with changing over identification and was so glad to see someone post the question on the Disboards.

I brought my marriage certificate from Florida to the MTO license location and they would not accept it as a valid document. I was very frustrated when I heard this because I just thought to myself, what do they want, and how do I go about getting the proper paperwork?

I did a bit of research and did not get very far. I called the "Service Ontario" number, which you can find on the website. They told me I would have to get a lawyer to notarize and authorize the marriage (to say it was a legal valid marriage). Then once I have that, I would have to go to the one and only location in Ontario, in Toronto to the "Official Documents centre". I thought this was bogus, because what about people who do not leave anywhere near Toronto?

My husband and I just bought a house, so we are dealing with a lawyer for that. I happened to bring up that I would need to sign an Affidavit to say I am who I say I am and from there that would be acceptable enough for MTO. I'll wait and see what happens. We are scheduled to see the lawyer in mid-October. I will let you know what happens if you are interested.

I was also unable to change my passport because they want two pieces of photo I.D. with your new name, your license and another valid piece of I.D. I couldn't change over my passport because I could not change over my license. I'll get the passport done when I get the license worked out.

Hope this helped. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM. I apologize for the long message. I know how frustrated you could be regarding this stupid and unnecessary process MTO has come up with.

Have a good day!

I'm so very glad to see that I'm not the only one! Not that I would wish this situation on either of us...

I've received a response from the Ministry of Transportation today:

"Unfortunately, a certified copy from another jurisdiction besides Ontario is not sufficient to make a name change. In such a case, the name change could be done only by having a legal name change by the Ontario Registrar General.

In January 2006, the ministry development new, very stringent, new standards for acceptable identity documents in order to ensure the driver license remains a highly secure form of identification."

What this suggests is that I go through the process of legally changing my BIRTH CERTIFICATE to my married name, which is utterly ridiculous. I take pride in my maiden name, but feel honoured that I was able to take my husband's name. I would not be comfortable erasing my pre-marriage existence, particularly on my birth certificate, and the very idea is offensive to me and would insult my parents. Simply because my spouse and I chose to be married in Florida instead of Ontario, we're facing this problem. It's outrageous and I have not completed my conversation with the provincial government about this.

I have contacted my MPP and have been in contact with his office. I'll happily make this a personal election issue - if he wants my vote, he can find a way for me to get my license in my legal and true proper name just like every other citizen of Ontario!

If I get my license in my maiden name, this would be the only piece of ID in that name and would not correspond to my vehicle registration, nor my insurance. Does the Ontario government expect me to carry my marriage certificate around with me for the rest of my life? Does it have no problem with the fact that this identification would not correspond to my name on any other documents, including those issued by the government of Ontario?!?

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the input and good luck!

I took my florida marriage license to the MTO a couple of weeks ago and it was accepted. The first girl wasnt sure and showed it to someone else who said it was fine. I had my name changed on my both my license and ownership. Used the same document to change name on SIN, health card and other items. Haven't tried passport yet.

What about trying a different office?

I posted earlier on this thread regarding the troubles of changing my name on my drivers license with MTO with my Florida Marriage License (application to marry).

I made a second attempt at the same office with a different agent in October and again, they did not accept it. I asked specifically what they were looking for; a marriage certificate. I went to the Florida State Vital Statistics web site where I noticed you could order a Florida marriage CERTIFICATE for $5.00 USD. This would be different from the Florida "Application of Marriage" that was given to me after the wedding; the same form I had been using as proof of my marriage with other goverment depts.

I ordered a marriage certificate, received it in the mail in about a week and a half, took it to the same MTO office and they still would not accept it. This time they claimed it was not a valid document, that they cannot accept "certified copy" of any legal document. WHAT ELSE CAN I GET? I was very frustrated, to the point I was going to my MPP.

I went to the MTO web site again and found that they have another office location in the city I work in, (as to the city I live in). I went there, didn't say anything but "I would like to change my name on my license because I got married". She took a look at the marriage certificate, had a puzzled look on her face and then said "okay, sign here with your new name". It got changed!

Long story short (I do apologize for the long winded version): order a marriage certificate from Florida State Vital Statistics and then try going to another MTO office with the marriage certificate. If that doesn't work, then fight it out with your MPP, don't give up until your license has your new name on it.

Hope this helps any Ontario Disney Bride. PM me if you need any further information. I know how frustrating this can be. Good luck!

As I read your post I had to ask myself "did I write this?" :) It sounds almost exactly like my situation...

Unfortunately, I have taken the steps that you suggested, at the recommendation of the MTO and have had no satisfaction. After the MTO told me to get the Vital Statistics marriage certificate, they rejected it. I went to my MPP who then went to the MTO on my behalf and my case is again with the policy office at the MTO, but since the policy office has already rejected both versions of the marriage certificate, I'm guessing there won't be a positive outcome from that either.

I am waiting to hear back from the mediator at the MTO that deals with MPP complaints as to what the manager of the policy office has to say. If I get a negative response, my next step is to go to the Ombudsman for Ontario, Premier McGuinty and the media.

I am also seriously considering taking the case to the Ontario Human Rights Commission on the basis that I am being descriminated against by the MTO because of my marital status.

I'm flabbergasted that there is not a mechanism in place to satisfy a reasonable due diligence process on the part of the MTO. If they don't accept the certified copy, then if confronted with one there should be a checklist to verify the information contained therein: Call the State of Florida - is the marriage valid? Check. Call the officiant - did they conduct the ceremony? Check. Call the notary that validated the certificate. Did they sign it? Check.

The policy MUST change. Surely they're dealing with brides from Florida (and elsewhere) routinely and they can't hold it against us that we decided not to be married in Ontario. It is scandalous that the MTO will not allow us to adopt our husbands' surnames should we choose to do so and it should not be left to some loophole for us to slip through in order to do it.

Good luck to all Disney brides from Ontario! I'll be sure to post an update once I have one. It's been a long fight so far, but I'm willing to take this as far as I need to in order to rectify this for all of us, no matter how long it takes.

wow! I'm so glad that you guys have brought up this topic. I would not have known otherwise. I am currently living in Quebec and we aren't allowed to take our husband's surnames but I'll be moving to Ontario for school soon and I'm planning on getting married in Florida next year and I THOUGHT I would be able to take my husband's surname with no problems. That is just horrible news and one more thing to worry about. There has to be a way around it.:eek:

Hi - We were married this year in Jamaica and are having the same problem
changing my drivers license over to my new name. I have had no problem
with other government depts just MTO. Has anyone had any further luck?
My local MPP's office suggested I write a letter and have our MP fight it, I
thought maybe I should try another city first but after reading other messages that may not be an option. Any help would be appreciated

Hi... I work in the media in Ontario... go to them, this is a good story. Tv, newspapers... call them up ask to speak to the assignment desk or the consumer reporter in your region...tell them your problem. they were all over the fake licences in the Caribbean in January, this is not much different. good luck... I'll be doing the same in October.

I am having a similar problem, though not with changing my name. My problem is getting a replacement birth certificate. Only the province of Ontario requires a guarantor to get a birth certificate replaced. I need my birth certificate to apply for a passport, but since I don't have a guarantor, they say I need to supply my passport to get my birth certificate. Hmm. I need my birth certificate to get my passport so I can get my birth certificate. :rotfl2: Any other province asks for your name, your parents names and three pieces of id. Since I was supposed to have an appointment with a notary public to get my passport, maybe they can help me out with this fiasco. :mad:

I am having a similar problem, though not with changing my name. My problem is getting a replacement birth certificate. Only the province of Ontario requires a guarantor to get a birth certificate replaced. I need my birth certificate to apply for a passport, but since I don't have a guarantor, they say I need to supply my passport to get my birth certificate. Hmm. I need my birth certificate to get my passport so I can get my birth certificate. :rotfl2: Any other province asks for your name, your parents names and three pieces of id. Since I was supposed to have an appointment with a notary public to get my passport, maybe they can help me out with this fiasco. :mad:

I have no help to offer. I was just going to share that I decided to wait to get my drivers license name changed 17 years ago. I have been using the last name of my first marriage all this time. So I am a Aka. I carry a certified copy of my marraige license with me incase I would ever need to verify for insurance issues. My dl and business license is in name of first husband. Social security, insurance and banking is in name of second. I even get confused at times ok now what name do I sign for this LOL.

If you can get it worked out do so--It is a pain when flying--Dl has to match name on the flight ticket.

Good Luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter