• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Only one ride to ride. Where would you be?

donipan

Mouseketeer
Not as dramatic as that... :rotfl:

I'll be landing in Orlando on a Saturday around 5:00 pm. I still want to take my two (young) kids to MK around 7:00 (is this realistic?), just to see the castle, take everything in, get into the mood. I'll not be staying for the parade or fireworks as I want them in bed by 9:00 ready for an early breakfast at CP on Sunday. Still, it would be neat to do one, just one, ride. Something with a short queue, light and cheerful, not too overpowering, or long, or scary... Just something disneisy to set the tone and start the vacacation on an uplifting mood. What's my best bet?

The Carousel. That will for sure set the mood. But I don't know how the wait will be. :confused:

How about Mickeys Philharmonic - the music gets me going everytime!

Agreed! :thumbsup2

In my opinion, this is hands down the best overall attraction at MK. The movie not only includes many characters and songs from Disney movies, but I think it is also very funny.

I know this doesn't exactly answer the question, but I have personally never been to MK and not ridden anything. I tried to think of what the perfect ride would be based on your scenario and honestly, I feel like it might be best not to ride anything.

I can only imagine getting to MK late in the evening, just wandering around taking everything in for an hour or 2, visit the shops, have some ice cream. That would be a wonderful evening in itself. It would definitely set the mood and it would just make you anticipate those attractions that much more.

Now if I had to suggest a ride definitely carousel (queue usually isn't that bad) or if the line is too long, there is always TTA.:thumbsup2

TTA, its relaxing, smooth, and not to mention a great ride.

How young are your kids?? Depending on their ages....it might be HARD TO RIDE JUST ONE THING. It might be easier to pick some of the easy to get on rides and ride 3 or 4 things. I would think Small World, Carousel and maybe ride the Transit Authority through Future World.

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is a great ride.
-Jungle Cruise is funny
-Peter Pan always has a long line but is a classic
-ITS A SMALL WORLD! CLASSIC

Also, where is your resort....gotta remember travel time to and from in that 2 hour span.

don't know what crowds are like when you will be going...but Splash Mountain?

First, I'm not sure it is realistic if you plan to get the kids to bed by 9:00. Where are you staying and are you using ME for your luggage and ride to the resort? We almost always hit the parks right after checking into the hotel. Usually we get to the parks about 2 1/2 hours after landing, which would put you there at 7:30. Also, that looks like right around dinner time? Is feeding everyone going to slow you down? As far as getting into bed by 9:00, remember it will take some time to get from the park back to the resort depending on where you are staying. Also, you may have pretty wound up kids after a taste of MK. If I had to pick a first ride for pretty young ones that usually has a short line, I would say Small World. It is a little long, but DD was completely mezmerized by it when she was 2, and still loves it at age 4. It is such a Disney classic! You probably wouldn't need a fast pass for Philharmagic, but you might want to start them off with something that isn't as dark and doesn't involve 3-D glasses unless they are already pretty used to 3-D movies. Pirates can be scary for really young ones. I probably wouldn't start with that one if you expect to get them on other rides. The Carousel is nice, but if your kids are like my DD and have have ridden a lot of Carousels already, I'd start off with something more Disney. Dumbo will probably have too long of a line, but Aladdin's Magic Carpets might be a decent choice if they are Aladdin fans. DD loves that one.

i suggest NOT doing any rides, rather, soak up Main Street, maybe let each child pick out a trinket or toy from one of hte stores and then get a photo in front of the castle.

this will wet their appetite for MK, create a photo of touchdown at MK and the toy/trinket will give them something to go back to the room with occupy their minds.

I know if i went in with my DS's4&9, they would be really bummed to do only one ride and then leave, plus they would bug us all night about it.

Main Street is a great place to 'get in the mood' and there is lot's to peek at.

small world and TTA would be a nice introduction....again just looking down "main street" alone looking at the castle is as "Disney" as it gets!:goodvibes

My daughter's favorite is ThunderMountain.. so probably that if it was me and if the lines (based on the Mobile Magic app) were managable..

I also agree with just wandering around. I did it once with my then 1yo. We went just the 2 of us for a quick 3 hour trip. We wandered around more than anything. We did get on IASW, and saw toon town. Not much more though.

I'd even, at that late of a time, to skip it.. build the excitement for the next day.

you could go to DTD and wander around... but if you want the castle, then... just go and wander...

I agree that maybe it would be better just to walk around, but if you want to do one ride to get them excited:

Philharmagic, hands-down. It is a great ride that will really get your kids excited for Disney World. It is not even my favorite, but I wouldn't recommend any other ride for getting in the mood.

And no, you won't need a FastPass. Every time I've gone on it, it was walk-on. The theater seats a huge amount of people, so if you hit it at just the right time (right as a show ends), you will walk right in.

:goodvibes

This is all so useful advice! Thanks! :thumbsup2

We are staying at Port Orleans FQ and I'm prepared to take a taxi to maximize time.
My children are 6 and 4. Never been in Disney before.

Food would not be an issue I think (gotta get that ice cream ;)). I'm not worried about them begging for rides or asking for more, they are quite reasonable like that. I'm more worried about overexciting them, as they are very active and sort of naughty...

I really appreciate the advice to do no rides, and just enjoy a walk around. That would definetely be an option...

I'm lalso iking the sound of Magic Carpets (both Aladdin fans and it's like a Dumbo with less queues right?), Small World, TTA...
What about taking the train around the kingdom before leaving? would that make sense?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter