• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Only five more years of DHS being incredibly bad!!!!

If Star Wars Land is open in three years, I will eat my Mickey ears hat. At DLR they aren't even going to begin construction until the end of 2017, and that is only because they had to promise to start by the end of that year to secure an extension on the tax break for admission tickets.

I'm guessing that DLR will be the first place to open Star Wars Land. There are simply too many people who are willing to keep giving their money to WDW no matter what.
I actually think they will open together. A big Star Wars celebration on both coasts opening both lands.

If Star Wars Land is open in three years, I will eat my Mickey ears hat. At DLR they aren't even going to begin construction until the end of 2017, and that is only because they had to promise to start by the end of that year to secure an extension on the tax break for admission tickets.

I'm guessing that DLR will be the first place to open Star Wars Land. There are simply too many people who are willing to keep giving their money to WDW no matter what.

Boom

Discussion requires listening AND responding. Most of these replies can be boiled down to "there is no truth in what you say, this is how it is".

Well put. There is very little "healthy debate" occurring in this particular forum. Anytime a poster attempts to spark debate with some against-the-grain thinking, they are immediately shot down by another claiming to have better credentials.

"You're wrong because I know better" isn't a debate.

Unless posts regurgitate information taken from WDWMagic--with bonus points for applying a healthy dose of cynicism--the commenter is often dismissed as an out-of-touch kool aid drinking sycophant. Forget voicing trust in Disney...there isn't even room for cautious optimism.

Forget voicing trust in Disney...there isn't even room for cautious optimism.

What would be the evidence upon which you base your cautious optimism? What is it about the way Disney has handled construction at WDW over the last five years that would lead you to believe that Star Wars Land will go from a handful of concept sketches to grand opening within three years? Because there is an awful lot of evidence that would support a pessimistic (or even cynical) attitude.

This may be a rumor and speculation forum, but that does not mean that wishful thinking should be equal to educated guesses. And the educated guesses, based on Disney's construction history, is that Star Wars will not open this decade.

What would be the evidence upon which you base your cautious optimism? What is it about the way Disney has handled construction at WDW over the last five years that would lead you to believe that Star Wars Land will go from a handful of concept sketches to grand opening within three years? Because there is an awful lot of evidence that would support a pessimistic (or even cynical) attitude.

This may be a rumor and speculation forum, but that does not mean that wishful thinking should be equal to educated guesses. And the educated guesses, based on Disney's construction history, is that Star Wars will not open this decade.

Yeah...I'm not necessarily completley down on the the Star Wars thing...I still have a sliver of hope that they'll "nut up"...open the money bin...and just build it to a standard that will last 20+ years...

But I gotta disagree with your defense, tjkraz...

I understand that the discussions here go south...guilty as charged for my part...but in particular here you're kinda siding with a history of patronizing, sanctimonious "silly child, don't doubt the great Dis" take

I'm being ornery...no doubt here...but I have to respectfully disagree with the self proclaimed "victim" on this thread.

There is at least enough evidence to suggest that the vision and operation of wdw has declined. Plenty to have a valid point without being patronized like an Inexperienced 5 year old...which happens plenty.

The real problem is the defense point has become harder to sell based on the Iger regime's approach to Florida. That is a hard truth here.

Not that there isn't a valid counterargument...there is and id concede point when made. But they typically aren't made...it's just kindergarten lectures and one liners that have nothing to back it up.

Convince me...is what I'm saying. You just don't get that much.

Last edited:
I really don't think DHS is "incredibly bad." We took our children to WDW for the first time last year, and despite a touring plan we didn't get to do everything on our list. We did Toy Story Mania twice, Star Tours twice, the great movie ride once, muppets once, Frozen sing a long, Beauty and the Beast Show, and Fantasmic. Met Buzz and Woody (the highlight of my son's trip!,) Mr. Incredible and Frozone, Phineas and Ferb, Monsters Inc. Lunch at Pizza Planet for our toy story fan and dinner across the pond at Cape May Cafe. I had hoped to visit the Indy Show and Tower of Terror without the kids but ran out of time. I also wanted to take the animation class, but I guess that's gone for good now.

At our next visit this fall I hope to see the Indy Stunt Show, the Little Mermaid Show, and LMA in case any are eliminated. We advised some friends who are taking their 8 and 10 year old boys to Disney for the first time in a few weeks for only two days that they should visit the Mk and DHS, not Epcot, because Epcot has few attractions for children right now. (And I hated the finding nemo ride--never again!) Their children are HUGE Star Wars fans and would love the Jedi Training Academy and Star Tours.

I'm hoping we will avoid most of the Toy Story Land construction with a visit before it starts, and then we might not visit again for 2 years. I've read that Toy Story Land might be complete by Winter 2017, and I really hope it's true. The family coaster and a ride similar to the Mater one at DL but without Mater singing an annoying tune non-stop would be great additions to the park. (I really prefer the TS aliens to Mater!) I'm hoping they might clone the army men parachute drop, too. And we'll hopefully be able to see Avatarland then, too. It's a shame Star Wars land will likely take several more years, but I look forward to seeing it one day, if the children still want to visit Disney then.

I do understand this park could be dull to people who have already visited it several times and do not want to meet the characters or see the same old shows again. I really wish they would have a new show there each year instead of B&TB every year. I would love to see Alladin or just about anything Disney instead. It's too hot when we visit to sit through the show outside a 2nd time when I've already seen the movie dozens of times. And I doubt I will want to sit though LMA more than once. I hope they keep the Muppets theater and possible update it. I would love to see the Indy ride or attractions based on more Pixar movies at DHS. I would also like an update to Fantasmic. I think the park has a lot of potential to be better than it was. But I still think it's worth visiting now.

I really don't think DHS is "incredibly bad." We took our children to WDW for the first time last year, and despite a touring plan we didn't get to do everything on our list. We did Toy Story Mania twice, Star Tours twice, the great movie ride once, muppets once, Frozen sing a long, Beauty and the Beast Show, and Fantasmic. Met Buzz and Woody (the highlight of my son's trip!,) Mr. Incredible and Frozone, Phineas and Ferb, Monsters Inc. Lunch at Pizza Planet for our toy story fan and dinner across the pond at Cape May Cafe. I had hoped to visit the Indy Show and Tower of Terror without the kids but ran out of time. I also wanted to take the animation class, but I guess that's gone for good now.

It isn't bad if you visit occasionally, but a significant portion of the people posting here visit regularly (as in multiple times a year). At that point the limited range of rides, plus shows that haven't changed in a decade or more gets old.

And that's where a lot of the sourness is coming from. I honestly don't expect to see Star Wars land before 2020, but I'm fine with it because I don't plan on visiting again until 2018 (at which point I should get to enjoy Avatar and Toy Story Land) so 2020 would be about right for the following visit. Value is relative. At that visiting frequency I get value from these expansions. Others, not so much.

Since you're quoting my post, please note that I never said that Star Wars would be open in 3 years. My own optimistic observation (prediction? hope?) was that Toy Story Land would be open in 2.5 years...3 years tops. And that's based on the fact that the plans appear to be fairly complete (multiple pieces of concept art, coaster animatic), the attractions are not terribly complex and rumors suggest that land clearing work has already begun at the back of Hollywood Studios.

As for recent comparisons, Walt Disney World began opening the first elements of New Fantasyland within 2.5 years and everything that was part of the initial plan within 3 years. (Mine Train was added later, represented new tech and thus took longer to complete.) The Toy Story Mania and Soarin expansions were announced in March 2015 and scheduled to open in 2016. Disney Springs unveiled a parking garage, two walking bridges, a dock and numerous restaurants & shops less than 2.5 years since it's announcement in March 2013.

The mistake (IMO) would be calling Pandora / Avatar the "typical" WDW expansion project.

But I gotta disagree with your defense, tjkraz...

I understand that the discussions here go south...guilty as charged for my part...but in particular here you're kinda siding with a history of patronizing, sanctimonious "silly child, don't doubt the great Dis" take

It's not about discussions going south...it's about arguments that begin and end with "you're wrong because you're wrong, and I'm right because I know better."

Discussions "go south" all the time...like this one apparently has. My beef is with posters who are less concerned with having open and honest debates, and more concerned with self-glorification.

I'm being ornery...no doubt here...but I have to respectfully disagree with the self proclaimed "victim" on this thread.

Well, it isn't difficult to find examples but this "victim" isn't taking the bait. By all means, feel free to review recent posts and see how healthy the debates are. (Hint: They usually aren't...unless you consider smugness and condescension to be the makings of "healthy debate.")

Last edited:
Ya, nothing like saying, "anyone who thinks X needs to have their head checked".

Healthy debate my Eeyore.

This seems to know be a non-philosophical style debate that I see on TV all the time.

The denial of truth.

Not everything is an opinion. Somethings are black and white.

Maybe that's getting back to my rub - that's somethings are good, some are bad, some are positive, some are negative.

My opinion on those things is a waste of time.

I can share my opinion on the construction timelines... I can say it's a sham...or that it's because Disney needs that time to be so "high quality"...

But it's to stretch out the funds and the PR for as long a possible...

...The sky is blue, the seas are salty - I'll take my chances on those things.

If it was Universal, SW Land would have been announced years ago, with the land opening this year at the latest.

To be fair to DHS it still has the best front of park imo, especially now that hat is gone from the beautiful view. Also, most of the remaining attractions are repeat visit attractions.

Our local news station, which is a Disney owned ABC network affiliate, reported the they would break ground in 2 years on Star Wars Land. I haven't heard that anywhere else but I think it makes sense time-wise, assuming the can have Toy Story Land up and running within 2 years and then start shutting down the Indy Stunt Show and whatever else gets gobbled up for more Star Wars stuff

Part of what's taking so long with Avatar is syncing up the opening of the park with the new films relesae, plus spearding out the cost so share holders don't get nervous, I'm guessing they will have the same problems with Star Wars

Our local news station, which is a Disney owned ABC network affiliate, reported the they would break ground in 2 years on Star Wars Land. I haven't heard that anywhere else but I think it makes sense time-wise, assuming the can have Toy Story Land up and running within 2 years and then start shutting down the Indy Stunt Show and whatever else gets gobbled up for more Star Wars stuff
Yes 2017 is expected construction start time. They officially said that for Disneyland and it's safe to assume that for DHS as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter