Only 1 DME yellow luggage tag per person?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Huff, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Huff

Huff DIS Veteran

Others have stated Disney sends two per person. I got my DME package today and found only 1 yellow tag per person. What have others gotten recently?

Not sure if 1 per person will be enough. Can I call someone at Disney and request a few more? We're still 5 weeks out so hopefully that will be enough to get more. Ya, I know I can give claim tickets if needed to DME but the yellow tags makes it easier.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. treehugnmama

treehugnmama <font color=blue>I am soo excited i just have a pr

If you call Dme they will send you more tags

4. phred52

phred52 I love vacation!

yes, real easy to get more. Just call and say one per person isn't enough. They'll mail out more immediately

5. jlewisinsyr

jlewisinsyr DIS Veteran

How long are you going?

I mean, if it's a week, do you really need to check more then one bag per person? I mena how much do you need to bring?

Disney realized that people don't pack more then one bag in most cases, so they saved a significant amount of money by reducing the number of tags sent by default.

6. Huff

Huff DIS Veteran

We're going for 9 days. We'll probably be ok with 1 bag each. Problem is that our luggage is old and rather heavy and airlines limit to 50lbs. Maybe better to use two heavy bags than have to buy a new lighter weight one. If we need to it would be 4 bags for 3 people.

7. Disney_Freak56

Disney_Freak56 DIS Veteran

8. Jestocost

Jestocost DIS Veteran

The charge for an overweight bag generally is higher than the charge for an additional bag, FWIW.

9. ancestry

ancestry Trees Without Roots Fall Over

Since the change in airline baggage policies Disney has only been mailing out one luggage tag per person. If you need more just call them.

You can also provide your baggage claim check tag at the DME counter along with a description of your luggage and they will pick up your luggage even if you don't have the yellow tag on it.

10. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - b

There's NO reason the standard DME packet should 'know' which airline the Guest is flying; since there's only one domestic airline that allows two checked bags free, it makes absolute sense to provide one luggage tag per Guest and require Guests needing more than one to request additional tags.

11. Disney_Freak56

Disney_Freak56 DIS Veteran

12. PlutoPony

PlutoPony DIS Veteran

Actually that is NOT the case. DME cannot be arranged upon your arrival at MCO, it must be reserved prior to that. That stipulation is part of Disney's contract with MCO for DME. If you get to MCO without DME reservations, you can do walk-up with Mears and pay on the spot. It's often been reported that Mears puts those customers on DME buses as well but that is not always the case and either way, you do have to pay to ride at that point.

13. LSchrow

LSchrow <font color=green>We're eating brussel sprouts & a

fyi, you can cut the DME tag in half, and use it on 2 different pieces of luggage (a skycap did this for us, and we've been doing so since - works pefectly. of course, just make sure the info is easily visible on both pieces of the tag).
    :)

14. Missytara

Missytara I'm all ears!

It is actually cheaper to print 1,000,000 single tags, and then send out a second set to the handful of people that need a second tag.

Seriously, with the amount of people who are carrying on baggage now with those airlines that charge per bag - I bet even some of those 1,000,000 single tags are going to waste as well.

15. ssawka

ssawka DIS Veteran

Here's a concept, how about if DME asks you how many luggage tags you need when you make the reservation? :confused: Since the luggage tags are personalized to the guest anyway, this would most likely save more than one-per-guest-ask-for-more or two-per-guest.

16. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

Seriously....people book DME before they have any flight booked..happens all the time. The poster was merely asking a legitimate question. Methinks you over-reacted just a bit.

First, no..you can not just arrive at MCO and be directed to the DME counter and arrange transport then. It must be reserved in advance.
    DME started sending out just the one tag per person in response to the airlines allowing only one free checked bag. The vast majority of people are flying with only one checked bag now..if that.
    Having DME be able to track your airline and then send out tags based on how many bags are allowed, free, is asking for trouble. There is nothing to say an airline can't change it's baggage policy at any time. Why add confusion to the situation.
    Any guest is perfectly able to call DME and request addtl tags be sent out. Not a big deal.

So...here I am. Trying to figure out how the heck I'm going to get everything I need to pack, into 3 checked bags, even though SW allows us 2 each. I have 3 DME tags and don't really want them searching for that 4th bag at baggage claim. And the thing is...I only need that 4th bag for the flight down....a lot of the stuff in that bag is going to my ds upon arrival.
    Never thought about cutting one in half. Thanks.

Now, that, is a good idea. It wouldn't be all that difficult to have a slot where you could provide that info. I doubt all that many people would over order tags. That would be a nice touch for those needing just one or two extra.