Online reservation

Nicqc

Earning My Ears
If I understand, it's not possible to make an online reservation for DVC? I must to call?

You can send an email via the DVC website, but you won't get a confirmation until after they read it, try to match your request and e-mail you back.

Online resrvations is apparently in the works... Disney has been enhancing their online system over the past year.

I always found it strange that this was never offered. It's actually quite boggling.

Considering all the IT problems with member services, it's not a surprise. Booking DVC is not the same as booking a regular hotel room. They have to program in cases of multiple contracts, different use years, banking, borrowing, transfers, etc.

I wouldn't hold your breath, it's been promised for about 10 years now.

From the 2010 Condo Meeting Highlights posted on the Member Website. Can be found by clicking on 'News'.

Question: Online Booking – When will Members be able to book online reservations?

Response: We are very excited about the recent implementation of two new resort systems that will enhance our capabilities and the progress in designing and developing an easy to use online booking process.

When the new Member Online Booking site launches, in addition to the things you can already do online – Members will be able to book vacation points reservations at Disney Vacation Club Resorts.
  • Search for resort availability
  • Book "points" reservation and immediately receive confirmation
  • View bookings online (past and future)
  • And, even waitlist if necessary
It is expected to be available to Disney Vacation Club Members in Late 2011.

Disney and website and on-line computer systems have never been a good combination. It took Disney until about 5 years after every other hotel and resort in the nation had on-line reservations to adopt an on-line reservation system for WDW hotels. It then took another 2 years to fix the major problems that the system had.

Its website even today is poor in comparison to most for ease of use and reliability. It has a site search engine that is unable to find anything you are looking for and it still has portions for which you cannot use Apple's Safari despite that Steve Jobs practically owns the company. The DVD site always seems to have ongoing issues and recent MS computer reservation system changes in last 7 months have resulted in repeated problems. Many wait with excitement for the DVD on-line reservation system to come which DVD has said will be "soon" (which is what it has been saying since 2007). I am one of those who wait in trepidation of what we will get which will likely be a system that won't work correctly for at least two years and probably will make all your points vanish whenever you try to use it. Many will likely be a little disappointed when they show up at a DVC Resort for their vacation in December and are told there is no reservation because the computer has them coming in February.

Michael, didn't they make that same announcement at the 2009 meeting (and the 2008 meeting), etc.

:scared1: on-line booking, hopefully not in the near future:lmao:

I agree - - I'm happy to call. There have been way too many times that Disney's various systems have crashed on me...I think I have yet to be able to make cruise plans at 90 days without some sort of crash (and this will be our 5th cruise - LOL). I can't imagine super peak DVC times when everyone starts logging in at midnight (or whenever the system opens). Then, heaven forbid the system lets some people in earlier on some days than others...:rolleyes:

I actually find it better to call as MS can help me with any question I may have. Sometimes there are many possibilities with availability that is better to have somebody to help you.

It's highly unlikely anyone will be forced to use an on-line booking system, and when it finally appears, I'm sure the phone number will still work. So there's no need to become unduly anxious over the introduction of on-line booking.

I'm still amazed that there is no on-line reservation booking. When we purchased in 2003 the rep told us it was right around the corner . . . and I fell for it. LOL.

Come on...how much fun is it to hear "welcome home" when you call MS. I have NEVER in 16 yrs of owning had a person on the phone who was not only helpful but always cheery to talk to as well. I think it will be great if they ever get the online thing going but for now I still love calling and hearing that 'disney' voice on the phone.

The thing about being able to book online is the ability for me to see things that might work for me, without having to explain it to an agent. Many times we are flexible in our travel and having to say, OK, check this, ok now check that, well what about this, is a complete waste of time to me. I'd much rather see it up on the screen and in an instant look at my options and adjust accordingly.

Now the comments about Disney and some of their IT issues are very valid. I'll be shocked if we see this in operation before mid 2012. On the other hand my other timeshare, Hilton, has had online booking since we joined years ago! And it has very similar rules and operations with points, home resorts, etc. So who knows....

I look forward to this with DVC, when it's debugged and working as planned. I'm assuming 2013 for that to occur. Anything sooner...I'll be thrilled!

Some good & interesting view points in this thread. I personally would prefer for DVC to stay as a phone-only option. ;)

I could see online reservation as being what its good for now ... if you want an off-DVC-season room, when there's probably lots of availability and not much competition (ie. one wants January at their home resort 10 months in advance). When I have reservations I want to make that might be difficult to get/lots of people calling right at 11 or 7 months, I'll use the phone line. :thumbsup2

It's highly unlikely anyone will be forced to use an on-line booking system, and when it finally appears, I'm sure the phone number will still work. So there's no need to become unduly anxious over the introduction of on-line booking.

Unless the integration between online and phone is so poor that rooms end up double booked at both ends and some phone people lose their reservations. Which, given Disney's track record, I wouldn't bet against.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter