online check in

Went to POFQ last year and didn't do online check in. I could have cared less what room I got. This year we are staying at AKL in a standard room. We are arriving on Wed Sept 21 after 8pm. Any one have opinions on whether not checking in online could lead to an upgrade? I know there aren't very many standard rooms at AKL and my reasoning was that maybe they would all be taken by the time we checked in late in the evening:rolleyes1. Of course I am not expecting an upgrade at all....but didn't want to hurt my chances any with online check in. Thoughts???

That's not a busy check-in time nor is it a busy time of year. If you have no requests, go for it. If you have a ton of requests, it makes more sense to me for you to wait until you get there so you can re-iterate them and make sure you get what you want.

Thank you. I had thought that late on a Friday might mean that there'd be little choice left but your post has reassured me.

The only request we made was a high floor. I would like to try to upgrade to a bunk-bed room and my TA can't do this so I think I may actually go for normal check-in and see what I can get.

We arrived just after midnight and I was soooo happy I had completed online check-in ahead of time. Just grab our package and head to bed. Great concept.

Problem: nobody working at the online check-in counter!

I stood there for 20 min. Not one CM showed up. The rest of our ME load was getting checked in while I stood there. Finally, someone in the regular check-in line took pity on me and let me in. Sure enough, when I told the CM I had checked in online, she went down to the Online Check-in counter and grabbed my package.

I was soooo unhappy!

Sorry to hijack.....we will be arriving the Saturday before Thanksgiving (19th) sometime in the afternoon. Would that day be considered busy and an online checkin preferred? The only thing I requested was Acadian or Magnolia and TBH since we've never been to this resort I won't break down and cry if I don't get it.....

We checked in around 7PM on a Friday in mid August at POR. We did online checkin and thought there wouldn't be any problems. When we arrived we were told they were completely booked and didn't have any 5 person rooms left.

The CM then tried to convince us we would be ok in the mansion section (4 person max) with a roll away bed and then could be moved into AB later. I flat out said 'no' and asked for a manager. I got pretty grumpy after traveling for upwards of 15 hours and making the reservation a year in advance. We were already planning to pack up our room three times - for a cruise and returning to wdw and weren't about to do it again because of overbooking.

The manager was great. She calmed us down and called around. She also apologized for not taking care of the problem before we arrived. She said she was in the process of taking care of other 5 person families arriving later that night but hadn't flagged our reservation yet.

Long story short, she found us a room at the Boardwalk for all 9 nights. We really missed POR but can't complain about an upgrade. The Boardwalk was spectacular.

I really thought online checkin would make a difference, but I guess it's luck of the draw....

Sorry to hijack.....we will be arriving the Saturday before Thanksgiving (19th) sometime in the afternoon. Would that day be considered busy and an online checkin preferred? The only thing I requested was Acadian or Magnolia and TBH since we've never been to this resort I won't break down and cry if I don't get it.....

I arrive the exact same day; every year. It is a very, very busy check-out day for the resort.

I never do online check-in and arrive around 10:30 am. I tell the CM I don't mind waiting for my room.

So far, I haven't waited any longer than 1:30 pm to get into my room and it has always been at least as requested and last year, was the best room yet by far.

Since Acadian House and Magnolia Terrace are the only buildings fully refurbished, you may find that they are the most requested right now. But that gives them a fair chance to honor your request by asking for more than one.

I noticed someone said they had charging option removed from their 10 year olds ticket...since I did online check in Sunday will all 5 of us have that on our tickets or just everyone over age 9 ?

I noticed someone said they had charging option removed from their 10 year olds ticket...since I did online check in Sunday will all 5 of us have that on our tickets or just everyone over age 9 ?

Everyone over the age of 9 will have charging priviledges on their ticket; you will have to have the 10 year's card re-printed w/o the charging option.

Would you mind sharing why, considering what you said prior to this statement? I'm just curious if it's a personal preference or if there's a reason we haven't considered.

Well it's a personal preference TYPE of thing. Personally, especially having a background in the industry, I like to chat with the front desk staff as I check-in. Generally I'll ask questions about their job, day to day operations, booking capacity that week etc. Sometimes, though VERY infrequently you will be being served by a manager, room assigner (though these in my understanding NEVER work desk at Disney hotels), or just an employee who wants to move up within the industry and they will all do what they can to make your room the best available because they feel yoy are likely to leave positive feedback with not only their higher-ups but also (and more importantly) the general public.

The number one thing NOT to do, and I feel this applies to any industry in which the person serving you has control over your experience, is to go on the offensive, flip-out, or generally be an ***. Imagine how you'd treat someone if they did it to you.

I love on line check in. The last time we arrived it was during Pres. week. The check in line was so long and there was one person in the online check in line. I walked up gave my name was handed my packet and was off. We went to our room went to get something to eat and the people that were at the end of the line when I was checking in were just getting up to a CM. Plus who doesn't LOVE checking into their vacation while at home. It's an EVENT in our house!!!! 14 days until we check in online...

Everyone over the age of 9 will have charging priviledges on their ticket; you will have to have the 10 year's card re-printed w/o the charging option.

Our DD (10 at the time) did NOT have charging on her card. I was told only the adults had it and if I wanted her to have it they would re print the card.

Just a few questions to see what people think of the online check in system....

Do you check in online or do you wait until the day?

Can you explain why you see this as a benefit/waste of time?

Do you get to make room requests when checking in online?

We check in online- I'm not sure what time it actually saves us at the front desk. We make our special room requests when we initially call CRO, and then do it again with the online check in. Then we do it again at the front desk when we actually get there. 3rd time is normally the charm! If you haven't made a special request yet, go ahead and call CRO to have it noted on your ressie. Better safe than sorry. For us, our special request is a fridge at the Value resort- we have medical need for it.

If I only want DH, DD22 and myself to have charging priviledges on their KTTW card and no priviledges on the 3-11yr olds should I avoid on-line check in? I don't want to slow anyone down by requesting this in the on-line check in line :goodvibes

If I only want DH, DD22 and myself to have charging priviledges on their KTTW card and no priviledges on the 3-11yr olds should I avoid on-line check in? I don't want to slow anyone down by requesting this in the on-line check in line :goodvibes

No, it takes them very little time to reprint one card.

Went to POFQ last year and didn't do online check in. I could have cared less what room I got. This year we are staying at AKL in a standard room. We are arriving on Wed Sept 21 after 8pm. Any one have opinions on whether not checking in online could lead to an upgrade? I know there aren't very many standard rooms at AKL and my reasoning was that maybe they would all be taken by the time we checked in late in the evening:rolleyes1. Of course I am not expecting an upgrade at all....but didn't want to hurt my chances any with online check in. Thoughts???

Checking in online has nothing to do with upgrades.

Upgrades occur when the resort is overbooked, maintenance issues with a particular room, someone having to stay an extra day due to weather beyond their control at their home base (i.e. if they cannot fly out that day), etc.

It is also best not to expect an upgrade nor ask for one; if you do, you will most likely be told the difference in price (at the full rack rate) and you have to decide if it is worth it to you.

Doing on-line check in does not stop them from re-assigning rooms.

That is correct. Rooms are re-assigned if:

1. There is a maintenance issue with the room that cannot be readily fixed or may take time for maintenance to get to it.

2. If there is overbooking in the resort.

3. If people have to stay an extra day, because they cannot fly out due to bad weather at home.

4. If someone ahead of you has asked for another room/area; they may give them your room assignment and then wait until you arrive and give you another room.

All of those things can occur whether you do online check-in or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter