Online check in & upgrade

MeridaAndAngus

If you had a chance to change your fate would you
We are staying at All Star Sports for the upcoming WDW Marathon weekend. We booked through a TA who does running travel, and since I booked our trip late this was the only hotel option available. We're in a standard room, but I was hoping to try to get upgrade to a preferred room so we'll be a little closer to the amenities.

I've never done the online check in process for a WDW resort. If I do the online check in, will I still have the opportunity to request an upgrade to a preferred room? Is this something I'd do online, or would I need to do this at the front desk? Also, if I do online check-in and we have our Magic Bands, do I still need to go to the front desk or is our room key automatically "keyed" to our Magic Bands?

I have not done online check-in before, but from what I've read what others have posted to answer my own questions, online check-in is a separate queue from regular check-in. You still have to go up to the desk, but your packet is all prepared. They just have to know you're there, essentially.

As for requesting an upgrade, if that's not an option within MDE then I would call central reservations to get that noted on your reservation. You can also ask when you check in as well to see if any preferred rooms are available. You might want to mention that are willing to pay the difference. The CM might be able to sprinkle some pixie dust on you and give you a free upgrade, but that is never a guarantee.

Good luck in your races. I'm in no way a runner, but if I were ever to run a marathon (or a half, 10K, or 5K) Disney is definitely the place I'd like to do it.

We are staying at All Star Sports for the upcoming WDW Marathon weekend. We booked through a TA who does running travel, and since I booked our trip late this was the only hotel option available. We're in a standard room, but I was hoping to try to get upgrade to a preferred room so we'll be a little closer to the amenities.

I've never done the online check in process for a WDW resort. If I do the online check in, will I still have the opportunity to request an upgrade to a preferred room? Is this something I'd do online, or would I need to do this at the front desk? Also, if I do online check-in and we have our Magic Bands, do I still need to go to the front desk or is our room key automatically "keyed" to our Magic Bands?

Disney has gotten wiser over the years with values and mods, especially the mods and now made what used to be "requests", actual booking catgories. Your TA owns the reservation until they release it to you, so they would have to add the request, but it is just that - a request.

You still have to check into the resort no matter whether you have the magic bands or not - the CM's do not release the room until you physically check in and let them know you have arrived. If your room is not available at the time, then they will send you a text when it is available. Online check-in just means your package is already completed; regular check-in means it is not.

If you do online check-in and then check if there is a preferred room location available, then they would have to redo your reservation for you. If you opt to do regular check-in, again you can ask, and they can check, but there is no guarantee. Also most likely, they will quote you the difference between the two room rates, unless it is not a particularly busy week and the CM has been able to do some sort-of upgrade - but again, those are few and far between now with the booking categories.

Doing online check in means the paperwork is completed in advance and it will take less time to check in when you arrive at the resort. If you are planning to ask for an upgrade and it's granted they will have to redo all the paperwork so there is no point in doing online check in.

Upgrades aren't given very often. Generally it means the resort has had to take rooms out of use because of repairs or unexpected problems. You can ask for an upgrade when you arrive, but it would be better to have your TA check frequently right now to see if a cancellation for a preferred room comes up or if a preferred room is available at a different resort.

As a courtesy to those who would be behind you in the supposed to be expedited on line check in queue, if you want to attempt an upgrade at check in don't do on line check in. Note I say 'supposed to be' because the line doesn't always move any faster than the regular check in line:cool1:
FYI marathon weekend is pretty busy and the values are popular so there may be no preferred rooms left.

We have a standard LM room at AOA from the 9th to the 11th. I highly doubt anything will be available to upgrade to; the preferred rooms were likely already booked and paid for long ago. The ONLY rooms I've seen at AOA are LM standard or Cars suites for months and months now.

I did online checkin and my only request is ground floor. I have no interest in dealing with stairs when trying to get to the room after the Half and my son's Mile (or, depending on time, in between Half and his Mile), LOL. I don't care about distance to the room, because walking is fabulous for recovery. But stairs, no, no thank you.

You can call to see if the room category you want is available. I tried to book BC at CSR but not available, so I called a few times. Not available. I asked to upgrade when I checked in and added that I would pay the difference if the category was available. Not available.

WHat I am saying is that if you can't book it ahead of tiem, chances are slim you will be able to upgrade at checkin.

Out of curiosity, I just did a search for rooms over Marathon Weekend, and none of the values are coming up, so I'd say it's about a 99% chance they are sold out.

That said, the All Stars are not huge. I stayed at Music in 2011 for my first half and was about as far as you could get in the Country Fair section - the worst part was that I was on the top floor, so stairs. (Given the elevator at my school that has a mind of its own, I have just learned to avoid them at all costs.)

Don't stress it - walking is actually good for recovery!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter