Online Booking coming to DVC for real

Discussion in 'DVC Member Services' started by CheapMom, Feb 27, 2009.

1. CheapMom

CheapMom DIS Veteran

From Disney Files Magazing (Spring 2009)
    Question: When will Members be able to book resort reservations
    online?
    Answer: This is a priority for Disney Vacation Club, and informationtechnology
    efforts are underway to make this service available. While no
    timetable has been set, Disney Vacation Club President Jim Lewis expressed
    his optimism for a launch by early next year. Disney Files Magazine will share
    updates when new details are available.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. wildernessDad

wildernessDad DIS Veteran

Oh NO!!!!! :scared1:

4. LauraLap

LauraLap DIS Veteran DVC Gold

That would be awesome! I am shocked that in this day and age we have to make our reservations by phone.

5. White_Sox_Fan

White_Sox_Fan DIS Veteran

I wonder how much time MS will spend trying to undo and fix that which has been royally screwed up by those attempting all but the simplest online bookings.

6. bookwormde

bookwormde <font color=darkorchid>Heading out now, another ad

I am really happy that they are finally going to institute on line booking for DVC. I am even happier that is am not going to be trying to book any vacations during 2010 while they work through the mess that IT will make out of it.

bookwormde

7. kerickson

kerickson VGC Dreamin'

They better do some pretty significant load testing before rolling out to take Christmas/NYE reservations.... Even so the system is likely to crawl, if not crash, during those times. But, they have to move this way eventually.

Hopefully 'launch by early next year' means Feb/March 2010 not Jan 2010... :badpc:

8. CarolA

CarolA <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

Don't panic or waste time getting excited!

DVC has to deal with the "wizards" in Disney's IT shop. Do you think this will work? Have you ever tried to book a HOTEL on Disney's site?

We have at least a year after Mr. Lewis's GOAL before the "broken" system will be rolled out! LOL! And then it won't work right most of the time based on current technology they use!

9. AnnaS

AnnaS DIS Sponsoor/Veteran

I don't mind looking for availability not sure I want to actually try to book something on-line.

There are many times they have had to get a supervisor or manually fix something. Not sure how it might work (w/the whole banking, borrowing, transfer, using banked points first, waitlisting, etc.) I don't know if this will become a reality.

10. kerickson

kerickson VGC Dreamin'

Forgot to ask, did you receive your Disney Files Spring magazine?

11. ILIKEWDW

ILIKEWDW "Girls just wanna have fun"

I have made all my pasts hotel reservations trough Disney´s website with NO PROBLEM!!!

The big benefit for us is that we can make it 24/7.

So if making reservations on DVC will be as easy and comfortable as at the Disney webpage, it would be OK!!!

12. WilsonFlyer

WilsonFlyer <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

God save us one and all. Amen.

13. CarolA

CarolA <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

Congratulations!

However, this should NOT be something thats considered unusual... and sadly it is with Disney! I spend a decent amount of time on the resort boards reading the "horrors" of booking threads!:lmao: :happytv:

I have suggested that Disney call Marriott and/or Hilton and STEAL some programmers! Disney thinks "cute" equals function. Disney's site is CUTE, but is NOT functional! If you want to compare the pricing at a value and mod for example expect that you have re-enter EVERYTHING several times! And at some point Tinkerbell will just fly around and around and around and around and around and around and......................popcorn::

14. fijidoc

fijidoc Mouseketeer

15. ILIKEWDW

ILIKEWDW "Girls just wanna have fun"

LOL, that is true, however as we did not need to compare prices or resorts (we like MK resorts, so there were only two options for us : Poly or GF), I just go directly to choose the resort, nights, etc.......

Most of the times in less than half an hour, our reservations were ready and as I said, if we were busy all the week, we easily did it on weekend or late at night.

16. wildernessDad

wildernessDad DIS Veteran

"Easily" is the operative word here. We'll see how easily this turns out, but I'm not going to be one who uses this service early in its existence. After all, if I'm going to be an alpha-level tester, I'd like to get paid for it.

17. keishashadow

keishashadow Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!

:scared1: based on their current IT track record, i am concerned as to pandora's box effect...would think the likelihood for a crash to be substantial for peak dates....sure hope it's a secure site!

so, is it safe to believe we'll be footing the bill for the hardware upgradepopcorn::

18. Tozzie

Tozzie DIS Veteran

I personally believe there are too many variables to making reservations and doubt that it will be functional any time soon.

IF they do roll out on line booking how do they decide when a new day starts, is it midnight eastern time, is it 9 am eastern time? What about people who don't use the internet? Will those who have access be able to book reservations earlier than the people who have to call in, possibly shutting people out of prime times? What about scheduled nightly maintance? This is far more complicated than making a hotel reservation due to the booking windows, borrowing points, combining points from different resorts at the 7month window. Wait what about those who change reservations at 7 months and have to cancel the original reservation to free up points first? I don't think , given the past performance of the IT department that this will come to fruition anytime soon, definitley not next year. Heck they can't even get the on line checkin to work correctly.

19. mikeandkarla

mikeandkarla DIS Veteran

NO!:scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

20. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

Cash reservations and DVC are totally different. With cash, you just pick what you want, enter your credit card info and that's it. With DVC, you will be dealing with banking and borrowing, use years, separate contracts, etc. The problem is many new members do not understand how DVC works.

21. rkdahl

rkdahl Mouseketeer

I am very confident this won't be made available to members until at least 2012 after they go through a beta test and find all the bugs that the 'real world' creates during testing! :worship: