Ongoing PTR for SE Asia

zanzibar138

DIS Veteran
For the foreseeable future, we are going to be sticking with lower budget, closer to home trips. For us, this generally means south east Asia.

We've had a few trips there now, and I often have people ask me how we found out about the places we go to, so I thought it might be worthwhile to keep a record, which can be a resource for others who may be 'Disneyed out' or perhaps watching the budget a bit more too.

Of course, this thread will mainly be based on my own personal experiences, but feel free to add any additional tips/resources that you think might be helpful.

Previous Trips
For the purposes of providing a useful resource, I am only including trips that I have taken as an adult and have taken an active part in planning. You can find further details/photos on each destination and many of the hotels in my trip reports, or feel free to ask me if you’d like any specific information.

March 2012
* Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (Grand Hotel Saigon)
* Nha Trang, Vietnam (Mia Resort Nha Trang)
* Halong Bay, Vietnam (Novotel Ha Long Bay + overnight junk)
* Hanoi, Vietnam (Sunway Hotel Hanoi)
* Hong Kong – Disneyland only (Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel)

March 2013
* Hong Kong - Disneyland only (Disney's Hollywood Hotel)

November 2013
* Singapore (Nostalgia Hotel)

February/March 2014
* Singapore (Nostalgia Hotel)
* Overnight Train Singapore – Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
* Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Hotel Summer View)
* Siem Reap, Cambodia (Kiri Boutique Hotel)
* Hoi An, Vietnam (Vinh Hung Emerald Resort)
* Hue, Vietnam (Hue Serene Palace Hotel)
* Quang Binh, Vietnam - for Phong Nha National Park (Phong Nha Lake House Resort)
* Phu Loc, Vietnam (Vedana Lagoon Resort & Spa)

November 2014
* Ayutthaya, Thailand (Baan Tye Wang Hotel)
* Pak Chong, Thailand – for Khao Yai National Park (Green Leaf Guesthouse)
* Phimai, Thailand (Moon River Resort Phimai)
* Chiang Mai, Thailand (stayed with friends)

Upcoming Trips

February/March 2016
Malaysia – 3 day trek at Mulu National Park in Borneo, rest of trip as yet undecided

November 2016
Vietnam – 2 week trip, tentatively planning south to north by train

Last edited:
Current plans for our next trip:
(Thanks to google for all these images)

We're looking at flying Singapore Airlines. Decent price, reasonable timing, and we get to use the perks of DH's gold status with Velocity. Our first destination is Mulu National Park, Malaysian Borneo. This is locked in, as we plan to start our trip with a 3 day trek here. There is no road access to Mulu - it can only be accessed by short flight from Kota Kinabalu, Kuching or Miri, or rather long boat ride from Miri.

For anyone who's interested, I found the trek by simply googling 'treks in south east Asia', and picking the most interesting looking one :thumbsup2

Sunday: Fly Melbourne to Kota Kinabalu or Kuching via Singapore
Monday: Fly Kota Kinabalu or Kuching to Mulu

Mulu has a limited amount of very reasonable looking accommodation within the national park. We are hoping to snag one of the bungalows, but bookings don't open until 3 months out, so we'll have to make sure we're onto it around Christmas time.

Tuesday: Start our trek - the first day is a 2 hour boat ride followed by about a 9k trek through the jungle
Wednesday: This is the hard day of the trek - about 2.5km up to the lookout, the last 400m of which is ladders and rope assisted rock scrambling
Thursday: Finish the trek with the 9k return walk and 2 hour return boat ride

We'll fly out on Thursday afternoon after we return, to Sandakan via Kota Kinabalu. Sandakan is on the east coast of Borneo, which does have a current travel warning for Australians due to the threat of kidnapping. I have done my research, and found out that the kidnappers come from the Philippines by boat, grab someone close to the shore, and take off again quickly. The most recent incident (the only one in recent history targeting Sandakan) in May this year was at a famous restaurant on the beach. Both people kidnapped were actually locals. Since we are planning to stay half an hour or so inland near the wildlife sanctuaries, I don't think it will be a huge threat for us, but we'll certainly be vigilant.

We looked at quite a few options around Malaysia (and even as far as Indonesia and the Philippines), but ended up deciding that we would like to stick with Borneo. Kota Kinabalu was an option, but Sandakan has everything that we were looking for.

The big drawcards in Sandakan (well, out of town) are:
* Sepilok Orangutan Sanctuary

* Sepilok Sun Bear Sanctuary

* Sepilok Rainforest Discovery Centre

* Labuk Bay Probiscus Monkey Sanctuary

We plan to stay at Sepilok Nature Resort - bungalow style accommodation surrounding a central lagoon. While it doesn't see overly luxurious, it does look like a great place to relax! And it's only a short walk from the wildlife sanctuaries too.

Sandakan city has lots of WWII history, involving a huge number of ANZAC soldiers. This is part of a nice looking heritage trail that takes in a few WWII sites, plus a bit of Malaysian culture as well. We really needed an extra day to spend in town doing this - I'm not sure we'll get the time on this trip.

Friday: Wildlife viewing and general relaxing
Saturday: Wildlife viewing and general relaxing
Sunday: Early flight home via Kota Kinabalu and Singapore

The flights DH is looking at have about a 7 hour layover in Singapore, which will give us time to do one of their free transit tours (or perhaps just make our way into the city on our own and have a fish pedicure and massage). We'll get into Melbourne first thing Monday morning, ready to hit the grind again on Tuesday :crazy2:

With the limited time we have available, it probably would have worked out better to fly out on Friday night, but my bestie will be having her 40th birthday party that Saturday night, so it will have to wait until Sunday!

Welcome PIO :wave2:

I love the idea of it, but the kidnapping scares me! I know Sepilok is (or was when I was a travel agent) very popular for the orangutans etc.

We very nearly wrote Sandakan/Sepilok off as a destination because of the kidnapping. However, based on the research I've done, I'm happy enough that staying inland will minimise the risk for us. If you have any information that contradicts this (as a previous TA), please feel free to speak up!

A lot of people seem to stay in Kota Kinabalu, and make a (very long) day trip for the wildlife sanctuaries. We did look at Kota Kinabalu, but we were going to have to make too many compromises (eg style of accommodation, location, activities on offer, features of accommodation, cost etc), and we really couldn't find much that we were interested in seeing/doing there.

We were also toying with the idea of staying up near Mount Kinabalu near the hot springs, but the 2-3 hour drive put us off. If we end up deciding to ditch the east coast, that will probably be where we end up.

No, no inside info on kidnappings :)
I was a TA a VERY long time ago, so was probably not a problem then. Go with your gut and you'll be fine.

No, no inside info on kidnappings :)
I was a TA a VERY long time ago, so was probably not a problem then. Go with your gut and you'll be fine.

Ah. We'll probably stick with the east coast then :thumbsup2 But I'll definitely keep doing my research, and be ready to make changes to our plans if I come across anything that gives me the heebie-jeebies!

If you end up in Laos (and who wouldn't want to) I can try and answer any questions you may have.

I've been living here for about 5 years now, on and off, and recommend it as SE Asia with a bit more of a communist twist.

Greg

If you end up in Laos (and who wouldn't want to) I can try and answer any questions you may have.

I've been living here for about 5 years now, on and off, and recommend it as SE Asia with a bit more of a communist twist.

Greg

It's definitely on my list! My main problem is with Laos Air. To avoid flying with them, we'd probably visit southern and northern Laos as separate entities, and arrive overland from Thailand. I suspect we'll be seriously considering Laos or Myanmar for next year's anniversary trip, since we haven't been to either country before, and we'll have a full 2 weeks to get around.

What is your problem with Laos Airlines exactly? Just curious.

I'm in Luang Prabang and you can fly into here on Lao Airlines, Bangkok Airlines, Thai Smile (Thai Airlines low cost arm) all from Thailand (Bangkok, Chiang Mai). If you want to come in from Siem Reap or Vietnam you can also fly Vietnam Airlines.

If you want to get to or from Myanmar from here then you'll probably go through Chiang Mai.

Flying internally in Laos is really expensive but the bus rides are long and rough.

Haven't been to Myanmar, despite how close it is, but it's certainly on my list. Everyone I know who has been raves about it. Also important to get there soon before it becomes too touristy.

Greg

Just realised that the "What is your problem..." question may sound accusatory. It isn't meant to, I'm just curious about what you may have heard.

Greg

What is your problem with Laos Airlines exactly? Just curious.

I'm in Luang Prabang and you can fly into here on Lao Airlines, Bangkok Airlines, Thai Smile (Thai Airlines low cost arm) all from Thailand (Bangkok, Chiang Mai). If you want to come in from Siem Reap or Vietnam you can also fly Vietnam Airlines.

If you want to get to or from Myanmar from here then you'll probably go through Chiang Mai.

Flying internally in Laos is really expensive but the bus rides are long and rough.

Haven't been to Myanmar, despite how close it is, but it's certainly on my list. Everyone I know who has been raves about it. Also important to get there soon before it becomes too touristy.

Greg

Lao Airlines don't have a great safety record, and they had that fatal crash outside of Pakse a few years ago. Luang Prabang and Vientiane aren't such a problem as there are plenty of options to get there. We'd also like to visit the south though, and there's really no way to get to Pakse apart from Lao Air or very long bus ride (no thanks!). We'd probably fly from northern Laos to Bangkok, then take the train from there to Ubon Ratchthani and go overland.

We might have to do the north and south on separate trips yet, but in 2 weeks we might have enough time to get a brief overview of both. Definitely wouldn't be doing Myanmar in the same trip though. We have friends in Chiang Mai, so there's always a good excuse to visit that part of the world :thumbsup2

Laos Airlines certainly didn't have a good record before they upgraded and modernised but it's been good for a while now, apart from that one crash which was obviously not good. I have flown with them more times than I can count and don't really have a problem. Mind you, I'm also the type that likes it more the bumpier it gets. :-)

Chiang Mai is a top spot. I'm heading there in about 4 weeks for a visa run.

Greg

Zanzibar DD flew with Laos airlines in 2013. She was comfortable with the research she had done for her flight into Laos (from Bangkok I think via Singapore-they flew Scoot to Asia) weighing up risks etc and found it a reasonable flight. Then I am pretty sure she flew out to Vietnam with Vietnam airlines so just did the one leg with Laos. She loved Luang Prabang and wished they had had time for Vientiane but not as adventurous as you for places further afield.

Laos Airlines certainly didn't have a good record before they upgraded and modernised but it's been good for a while now, apart from that one crash which was obviously not good. I have flown with them more times than I can count and don't really have a problem. Mind you, I'm also the type that likes it more the bumpier it gets. :-)

Chiang Mai is a top spot. I'm heading there in about 4 weeks for a visa run.

Greg

Zanzibar DD flew with Laos airlines in 2013. She was comfortable with the research she had done for her flight into Laos (from Bangkok I think via Singapore-they flew Scoot to Asia) weighing up risks etc and found it a reasonable flight. Then I am pretty sure she flew out to Vietnam with Vietnam airlines so just did the one leg with Laos. She loved Luang Prabang and wished they had had time for Vientiane but not as adventurous as you for places further afield.

Sorry, but any airline that has a fatal crash immediately gets wiped from our list until such time as they redeem a safe rating again. Lao Air still only has a 3 out of 7 safety rating, so it's a no go. Malaysia Airlines still has a 5 out of 7 rating, so we're happy with them, despite the couple of incidents they've had in the last few years. Having said that, I know that ABD uses Lao Air, so they can't be that bad.

Being so fussy with airlines means that we do have to miss out on some awesome destinations (eg Komodo National Park, Indonesia), but it's where we draw the line.

I tend to be more worried about getting to the airport than getting on the plane. In just the last 2 weeks 3 foreigners (two I know personally) have had to be airlifted to Bangkok after motorbike accidents. One of them was just walking when a drink on a motorbike ran into her.

Make sure you have good travel insurance.

Greg

I tend to be more worried about getting to the airport than getting on the plane. In just the last 2 weeks 3 foreigners (two I know personally) have had to be airlifted to Bangkok after motorbike accidents. One of them was just walking when a drink on a motorbike ran into her.

Make sure you have good travel insurance.

Greg

Yes, very important to have good travel insurance for all trips. You want to make sure that medical evacuation is included when you're in SE Asia, in case of questionable local medical facilities.

We're not fearful of flying in general, but we do want to make sure we're in safe hands. And I mean no disrespect for people who are happy to fly with Laos Air - everyone has a different definition of risk. Lots of people probably think we're silly for flying with Malaysian Airlines.

And I mean no disrespect for people who are happy to fly with Laos Air - everyone has a different definition of risk. Lots of people probably think we're silly for flying with Malaysian Airlines.

I'd be really worried if you are flying BOTH Laos and MH on the same trip. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter