One Week Post Trip - A Few Things

Erin M

Mouseketeer
We've been home a week now and we're still kind of reveling in the magic. I went with four of my favorite co-workers this time, some newbies. They already want to know when we can go back. We'd all said no way to a return trip next year because the veterans want to avoid SWGE, but with their enthusiasm we've decided to watch and see how things go, maybe we will go back next February.

It's so much fun to watch people discover the magic of DL as adults. It's ok to skip, and sing along, scream on a ride, and laugh until you cry. We all had so much fun standing in line playing Head Up our stomach muscles hurt from laughing. I apologize if you were near us in line, we got pretty loud sometimes!

Anyway, here are the observations from the week. We were there a total of 5 days. I think 4 is my new sweet spot for adult only trips. When I have my kiddo I need that 5th day to finish things off, but we were dragging that last day because we went so hard the first 4! We stayed at the Desert Inn and Suites, great location and the rooms were clean and spacious. Breakfast left a little to be desired, but the room rate makes up for that...plus I want that bacon, egg, and cheese croissant at Jolly Holiday anyway!

*Sorry this is so long!!

The Ehh:

Fastpasses were running out pretty early. On busy days like Saturday I expect this. On a Wednesday when RSR and GoTG are gone by 10am and 3pm respectively I start to wonder what is going on. Wednesday was not all that busy. We enjoyed lots of things but we would have enjoyed more if we’d been able to snag one more GoTG. So what gives? Are they limiting the number of FPs? If so that’s kind of a bummer for those who pay for MP.

We had a few grumpy CMs, nothing major but just enough that you knew they were not happy to be there. Both incidents were early in the morning and I suspect they just didn’t want to be at work.

The dinosaurs were covered up! We took the train just to show the newbies the awesome wonders of the Jurassic period. We got past the Grand Canyon and then just black windows. It was weird. No note, the sound was all still the same.

The Good:

We rode so many rides. I've used MaxPass before and as usual it just makes it so easy to pick up anything you really want to do. Everyone in our party got to ride what they wanted to at least twice, sometimes three or four or five times. IT'S WORTH THE MONEY! I haven’t compiled our ride tracker completely but we were averaging about 18 rides a day, with a 5 person party.

We had some of the best food! We had a list and we checked our way down it. A new find this year was the corn chowder at The French Market. I'd had it at River Belle but never French Market. We went back for it the next day because we loved it so much. We had quite a few of the treats for the Get Your Ears On Celebration. Favorites were the Cookies 'n Cream shake, the Caramel Corn Churro, and Mickey Celebration Churro. Also had the regular popcorn that just makes me so happy. Had dinner at Carnation Cafe - did not disappoint. Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans is still the stuff dreams are made of. The bao buns at Tropical Hideaway are the real deal. We jokingly called this trip The Lite Snack Tour and it should have been called The Eat All the Things Tour. If I listed all the things I'd run out of room.

WoC - It's just as magical as it always was and I was so glad we got to do it. Sometimes I try to explain to people what it is about DL that I love so much and I can't pin it down. It's a feeling, not just a ride or a food. WoC is kind of a manifestation of that feeling.

Mickey’s Mix Magic – I know there is a crowd who doesn’t like it so much, and I’ll admit it’s a real departure from what we’re used to but we loved it. The energy was great, everyone dancing was so fun. I love that they use the music for a minute at rope drop too. We saw it once with fireworks, once without. Both were fun, fireworks more so of course! I didn’t cry which is a first for me with a Disneyland fireworks show. We’ve been listening to it in the morning at work to start our day.

The Pixie Dust:

While eating lunch at Hungry Bear we watched the Mark Twain make its way down the river. Just as it passed us the train came up alongside it on the tracks. The train tooted its horn in a song rhythm, then the Mark Twain responded to finish the melody. It was just one of those things that feels magical when you witness it.

We found two Tower of Terror pins while out pin trading. Maybe this is common (we're new to pin trading) but one of our party looooooved ToT and for her to find two pins was magic.

Glad you had a good trip! I agree about the Disney “feeling.”

Guardians is running on reduced towers, so the FPs are running out sooner (they didn’t even offer them for awhile last week). RSR is just like that lately; they’re really flying.

The Pixie Dust:

While eating lunch at Hungry Bear we watched the Mark Twain make its way down the river. Just as it passed us the train came up alongside it on the tracks. The train tooted its horn in a song rhythm, then the Mark Twain responded to finish the melody.

Yes indeed - I've heard it many times. "Shave and a Haircut." :-).

Thanks for your report! Did you have a FP or dining package for WOC? How was your view?

So much fun! I'm so glad you had a great time!

Than you for your trip report. I love WOC! I'm so glad it's back. I saw it Feb. 27 (dessert party), and hope to see it again on our next trip. Glad you had a great time.

Fastpasses were running out pretty early. On busy days like Saturday I expect this. On a Wednesday when RSR and GoTG are gone by 10am and 3pm respectively I start to wonder what is going on. Wednesday was not all that busy. We enjoyed lots of things but we would have enjoyed more if we’d been able to snag one more GoTG. So what gives? Are they limiting the number of FPs? If so that’s kind of a bummer for those who pay for MP.

Were all the elevator shafts working? When they have taken one out for maintenance or when one or more are just "broken" I think they do limit the fastpasses based on the expected reduced capacity.

Edited to add: Whoops...just saw Skyegirl1999's post. Sounds like Guardians was at reduced capacity.

Thank you for sharing! Sounds like a great trip. I'm hoping GoTG is running at capacity while I'm there later this year. I would like to hear all six songs...lol

So glad your trip was magical -- for you, the vets, and the newbies!
Your tidbit on the Mark Twain and the train made me smile -- there is a really special relationship between those two rides! One time we were riding the train just after the second F! had ended. The Mark Twain was rounding the bend and came up alongside the train in the dark. And for the entire time that the train and the riverboat were in view of each other, the entire F! cast of characters waved and called out to all the guests on the train! It was fantastic! Now we have to start eating lunch at HB until we witness your moment... :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter