One thing I learned on my first trip:

kerplop

Gawrsh!
You can plan as much as you want and get to the parks to reserve a seat for the parade as early as you want - but when the 6'8" guy wants to watch the fireworks right in front of you, what can you do but laugh? (DP who took these is still not laughing, but hey.) At one point he even had a kid on his shoulders and he spent the entire fireworks with his arms in the air like this. Apparently there's a castle in that picture somewhere!

qz1vk6.jpg

xfwyhi.jpg

Disclaimer: I'm not complaining. Tall people deserve to see the fireworks too I just got a laugh out of it I wanted to share!

Well, at least you could see the fireworks good, if not the castle itself. ;) :)

BTW, I like your positive attitude about this. :thumbsup2

Dan

Well, if it makes you feel any better, last December I was on the boat dock of the GF waiting to watch the fireworks in a spot where I had been standing for at least 20 minutes. I'm short. A 6 foot large guy walks up as the fireworks were starting and the guy decides to stand right in front of me- I'm talking directly in front of me and about 6 inches from my body. He was blocking my view of anything, not to mention kind of infringing on my personal space. It was like someone put a board in front of my face. The boat dock was definitely not wall to wall people. There were plenty of other places he could have stood. It was so ridiculous that another stranger on the dock made eye contact with me and gave we a "What the?" look. I moved out from behind big guy and got positioned where I could see again, and about 2 minutes later a guy not nearly as tall and his wife came up (or I should say stumbled up with drinks in hand as they were a bit- okay a lot- intoxicated) and again stood directly in front of me. Not quite as close as guy No. 1, but still pretty much blocking my entire view. I heard the stranger who had made eye contact before trying to supress laughter. I on the other hand was trying to figure out if I had suddenly become invisible. It clearly was not my night to watch the fireworks! :rotfl:

I've got some pics like this from a previous trip too! I didn't realize how bad it actually was until I got home and looked at the pics! lol!

and about 2 minutes later a guy not nearly as tall and his wife came up (or I should say stumbled up with drinks in hand as they were a bit- okay a lot- intoxicated) and again stood directly in front of me. Not quite as close as guy No. 1, but still pretty much blocking my entire view. It clearly was not my night to watch the fireworks! :rotfl:

Maybe you should have stood on the dock as close to the water as possible. When you hear the splash you could snicker and see the fireworks.

That's why I bought a really tall tripod!

I'm good with tall people standing in front of me. Them's the breaks. But putting their kid on their shoulders right in front of you is the same as saying "my kid's view is more important than yours".

We are both tall and make every effort to help our height not be a nuisance to others. I usually stand BEHIND my husband so my head and his are close and we take very little space so others can see. We will also try to get up close behind a group when there's a space in front of short people so they can see and NOT try to step into that empty space when its there for a reason. I will have to say that no matter what we do, we too have had many dads lift their child onto their shoulders at the last minute in front of us or someone's mickey balloon is allowed to float up and into the view messing up the castle/fireworks shot. So very many things can go wrong when the crowds are big. Now that the castle show brings everyone in front of the castle rather than seeing fireworks at different places in the park, the space in front of the castle and down mainstreet is getting horribly congested even in off season.

Being tall, we can usually enjoy things from most anywhere. One of our fave things to do is get a perfect viewing spot at Illuminations in Epcot ahead of time and then right before it begins invite kids and shorter families to step in front of us next to the water's edge. The kids are so delighted and the parents are always surprised. It's our little bit of magic we can share.

Maybe you should have stood on the dock as close to the water as possible. When you hear the splash you could snicker and see the fireworks.
:rotfl2: Good idea!

Love it!! Glad you found the humor in it, too!:thumbsup2

Me too! Things happen, but sometimes you just gotta laugh.

While waiting for the MK to open last May, my son and my mom were sitting on a planter area and next to my son sat a lady with an umbrella. Now, it was not raining, but them sun was very bright so she was using it to block the sun. Only she could not sit still. She was poking my son in the head with the umbrella. It went on forever and we just sat there looking and kind of laughing. I even took pictures. :rotfl2: we still laugh about it when we pull out an umbrella. :goodvibes

Yes, sometimes you've got to laugh. These stories bring to mind the time I was at a baseball game and the guy sitting in the row in front of me was sitting forward so far that it looked like he was kneeling in church. He sat like that, off and on, through the majority of the game and it effectively blocked my otherwise excellent view of the plate. It was so funny/bizarre I had to take a picture.

I also give you a big thumbs up for humor. Now that our children are grown and gone, we walk around during the fire works vs. finding a spot. But I do have to say, your pictures so made me laugh. I just remember bringing my 4'11" 90 year old mother to church each Sunday and she'd complain that she could not see anything because of all the big people in the pew in front of her (the entire congregation was taller than her) and I'd say Mom..what the heck!....they do the same thing every week! Oh well...thanks for bringing back that memory. Love the pictures.

Hahahaha!

We have a set just like these. Thanks for the good memories. We had a blast laughing about it and looking at the photos when we got home :laughing:

I can honestly say I have never had this happen! Being only 5 foot, that is hard to believe. Now watch this happen on our trip :lmao:. I have learned that I am invisible, even with ears on and a sparkly shirt. People always walk RIGHT into me, not just a bump on the arm either. I've resorted to yelling "OW!" when they do it. Makes them feel bad, but hey, oh well.

There is one trip we always remember. While waiting in line at Indy, this rather large woman kept bumping my backpack with her belly. I decided to move it to the front so she could have more room. Bad choice. She just moved closer and kept bumping ME with her belly. Still makes us laugh, but boy, talk about no respect for personal space!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter