One of the funniest things I've ever heard at WDW:

It was my first time to ride the Dinosaur ride at AK. My DH and I were seated next to a grandmother and her grandson. The boy looked about 7 or 8ish. I was trying to make conversation and said "oh, this looks pretty scary. I hear there are dinosaurs here." He looked at me straightfaced and very matter of face "they aren't real."

In the picture we have from the ride, I am screaming then this boy is sitting calmly. Next time I'll keep in mind they aren't real. ;)

Last year, while in the Magic Kingdom, we were sitting next to an "interesting" family (that is another story). One of the daughters, probably about 16, looked at a bird and yelled "OH MY GAWD, ITS A BABY CHICKEN!" My daughter, who was 7 at the time, looked at the bird, then the girl and then said to my husband "Dad, thats a sparrow." I almost spit out my water.

Not Disney at all, but that reminded me of this video done by some friends of mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm8UAUjAlUE

My husband and I were entering the Magic Kingdom one time just under the train station. A group of people (maybe 8 teens & adults) ran in front of us towards the area by Roy Disney's statue as some of the characters were out for photos. . . Loudly as they ran, "Goofy!, Goofy! Goofy!" A CM nearby and within our earshot yelled out as loudly, "Pluto!" correcting them enroute. . .to which the cries then became "Pluto!, Pluto!, Pluto!". Quick save, there. A lot of people around us laughed having witnessed the whole drama. . .

We had this moment in the Garden Grill. Pluto came to our table, and my mother and DD kept calling him Goofy. He kept pointing at his name tag until they finallly got it right.

4. This one isn't a stupid remark, but it was hilarious. We were on the way back to the resort form the park, taking the bus ride back. It was a night, so the lights were out. The bus driver decided to play Disney Trivia. He asked us to name all the Disney animated movies that were one-worded titles, such as 'Fantasia, ' 'Aladdin,' etc. We got most of the obvious ones out of the way, and someone shouted 'Shrek!!' The bus driver stopped the bus, pulled over to the side of the road, and turned on all the lights. He then asked 'who said Shrek on a Disney bus?" and acted like that person had to walk the rest of the way. :lmao: It was so very hilarious. And then, someone else guessed Pirates of the Carribean, which one, isn't animated, and two, isn't a one-worded answer. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I read this one to my mother. Her response: "Shrek isn't Disney??"

Oh and can I add today at the Magic Kingdom it was 37 degrees, we were literally freezing and choosing our rides based on how warm they would be and how long we'd be out of the cold and we saw several people with ice creams. Are you crazy? Let me add I'm from New England, so we are used to the cold, wow!

Our last trip to WDW was the first weekend in December. The temperature didn't get out of the 40s one or two of those days. The first day we were there, I wore socks and walking shoes. The seam on the sock rubbed a blister on my little toe, so I couldn't wear those shoes anymore. The only other pair? Flip flops. Yep. I walked around in 30-40 degree weather wearing flip flops. It really wasn't that bad -- the shoes kept my feet off the ground, and my jeans were long enough to cover the majority of my feet. It only really bothered me when the wind blew. Mom kept fussing about how I needed socks or SOMEthing else on my feet, so I did wind up wearing socks with flip flops (next trip, I'm buying those $20 socks in the Japan pavillion....) I kept trying to tell her I wasn't bothered by it, and wound up counting at least 50 other people walking around in sandals and flip flops in the cold weather.

My own funny experience.... two years ago, we went for a week for my DD's and my birthdays. We're a day apart. Mom couldn't go until the day before my bday, so DD and I were there 3 or 4 days by ourselves. I had told DD that we were celebrating BOTH our bdays all week. The morning of my bday, Mom pulls DD aside and tells her, "tell Mommy 'Happy Birthday'". My DD started crying, because I had told her it was both our bdays. It's bad enough that I'd told everyone that it was my last birthday (you know...I turned 29...it was time to stop, right?) and people started acting concerned ("Are you okay?") But here we finally get to my bday, and the baby cries because it's my bday. (She turned 5 the next day, btw.)

This year...DD expected well before we planned to go that we WERE going to go to WDW for her bday. She has decided to be gracious and allow for us to go down early enough we can be at the World on MY birthday. (Which, of course, I shouldn't worry about, because I was supposed to have quit having birthdays 2 years ago....)

hi! this is my first post after YEARS of just reading the boards. I had to reply to this. In Spain "mono" means "cute" and it's not an old-fashioned word at all (here). A person can be "mono" (or "mona" if we're talking about a female person) and a thing or an animal can be "mono" as well :) .You used perfect Spanish but too many countries speak it and the slang varies from country to country. I'm from Argentina and wouldn't call anyone "mono" there, but now I'm living in Spain and here it's a very common adjective :D.

As for the thread it's hilarious what you get to hear at WDW!!! I'm still reading page 18 and laughing so hard hehe :D

It's not just Spanish that you run into that. So many terms used in the English Language in England if you go to America and say you'd get laughed at, looked at funny, or slapped. :rotfl:

Easily the most "famous" of these is the English term for a Cigarette or have a smoke, and the American meaning of that term.

Early November this year, we were in AK on a rainy day. We stopped at the Dawa Bar for a beer and then looked for a table. An older man invited us to sit with him. He was obviously well-to-do and used to the finer things in life. He commented to us, "I'm surprised that Disney has let this park get so run down." I tried explaining to him that this is how AK is supposed to look, to which he responded, "You mean they PAID to make it look this bad?"

Sounds exactly like my dad except he is on the other end of the money spectrum, Type A personality. Once they went to Niagara Falls and when he got back he complained that they should "Turn off the falls and clean up all that rock mess below them" :rotfl2::rotfl2: He finally quit after I brought it up every time someone came around.

Sounds exactly like my dad except he is on the other end of the money spectrum, Type A personality. Once they went to Niagara Falls and when he got back he complained that they should "Turn off the falls and clean up all that rock mess below them" :rotfl2::rotfl2: He finally quit after I brought it up every time someone came around.

I know this is a little off topic but, it's been done already. I was stationed in Niagara Falls in 1968/69 and while I was there the Army Corp. of Engineers did divert the water from the American Falls effectively "shutting them off". The purpose was to see what would be needed to clean out the huge chunks of stone at the base and make it a more attractive looking sight.

Well, after spending a few months, exploring and hauling out bodies from the base, they decided that the only thing holding up the walls of the falls were the big rocks in front of it. They felt that if the removed them the remainder of the American Falls would crumble and become the American Rapids. So what you see today is the best they can do or at least could do back then.

Sorry to have disrupted this thread, but just think about how much more you will be able to appreciate Niagara Falls now that you know this vital information. We now return you the "Funny things you have heard".

I know this is a little off topic but, it's been done already. I was stationed in Niagara Falls in 1968/69 and while I was there the Army Corp. of Engineers did divert the water from the American Falls effectively "shutting them off". The purpose was to see what would be needed to clean out the huge chunks of stone at the base and make it a more attractive looking sight.

Well, after spending a few months, exploring and hauling out bodies from the base, they decided that the only thing holding up the walls of the falls were the big rocks in front of it. They felt that if the removed them the remainder of the American Falls would crumble and become the American Rapids. So what you see today is the best they can do or at least could do back then.

Sorry to have disrupted this thread, but just think about how much more you will be able to appreciate Niagara Falls now that you know this vital information. We now return you the "Funny things you have heard".

a_completely_dry_640_06.jpg

http://izismile.com/2010/12/16/a_completely_dry_niagara_falls_8_pics.html

:)

[QUOTE

Our last trip to WDW was the first weekend in December. The temperature didn't get out of the 40s one or two of those days. The first day we were there, I wore socks and walking shoes. The seam on the sock rubbed a blister on my little toe, so I couldn't wear those shoes anymore. The only other pair? Flip flops. Yep. I walked around in 30-40 degree weather wearing flip flops. It really wasn't that bad -- the shoes kept my feet off the ground, and my jeans were long enough to cover the majority of my feet. It only really bothered me when the wind blew. Mom kept fussing about how I needed socks or SOMEthing else on my feet, so I did wind up wearing socks with flip flops (next trip, I'm buying those $20 socks in the Japan pavillion....) I kept trying to tell her I wasn't bothered by it, and wound up counting at least 50 other people walking around in sandals and flip flops in the cold weather.

)[/QUOTE]

I was actually going to suggest those socks from Japan. Great minds think alike. :)

Some people, like me when I was young, think that its possible to turn off the falls. Like there is a big valve somewhere that you can just turn.

Some people, like me when I was young, think that its possible to turn off the falls. Like there is a big valve somewhere that you can just turn.

Goofyernmost is accurate in what he descirbes as being done back in the sixties, but they still CAN "turn off" the falls if they need to. They divert 50 % of the water to the power stations during the day - and 75 % overnight - but have the ability to divert it all. It has occasionally been done for rescues and stuff. So, there really is a "big valve" that can be turned.

OK - sorry to continue the diversion...back to "Funny things..."

Goofyernmost is accurate in what he descirbes as being done back in the sixties, but they still CAN "turn off" the falls if they need to. They divert 50 % of the water to the power stations during the day - and 75 % overnight - but have the ability to divert it all. It has occasionally been done for rescues and stuff. So, there really is a "big valve" that can be turned.

OK - sorry to continue the diversion...back to "Funny things..."

Ok back to the diversion.

While I know that they can divert most of the water I didn't think they could completely shut it off.

OK back to funny things.

I was standing near the Tree of Life Gardens in the Animal Kingdom. This group of people were very excited and pointing at a squirrel in a tree. Apparently the squirrel was the most exotic animal they had seen all day.

Well, we took a trip to WDW with MIL and FIL one time. They loved Epcot and FIL was particularly interested in eating at Restaurant Marrakesh. I'm sure this was due to the belly-dancer. Anyway, at check-in, MIL said to the Moroccan woman, "The only thing I know about Morocco is Grace Kelly."

By this time in the trip, I was only half listening to what those two would say, but this caught my attention and I started to laugh when I told MIL that she was thinking of Monaco and this was Morocco.

The Moroccan woman nicely explained Morocco is in the World Showcase because they were the first nation to recognize the newly formed United States.

We still laugh at this. In fairness, during our tour of Mt. Vernon, while staring into the master bedroom, she asked, "Is this where Lincoln died?" We can't take her anywhere! :rotfl:

It was my first time to ride the Dinosaur ride at AK. My DH and I were seated next to a grandmother and her grandson. The boy looked about 7 or 8ish. I was trying to make conversation and said "oh, this looks pretty scary. I hear there are dinosaurs here." He looked at me straightfaced and very matter of face "they aren't real."

In the picture we have from the ride, I am screaming then this boy is sitting calmly. Next time I'll keep in mind they aren't real. ;)

OMG, I have been on that ride ten times and it still scares the you-know-what out of me.....and I keep telling myself, they aren't real, they aren't real, they aren't real....;)

OMG, I have been on that ride ten times and it still scares the you-know-what out of me.....and I keep telling myself, they aren't real, they aren't real, they aren't real....;)

It's mine worst ride as well. I KNOW the dinosaurs aren't real, but, man oh man are they lifelike!! That ride scares the &*$@#%&*(&^ out of me and I avoid it. I get anxiety just waiting in the line. LOL :rotfl2:

I was standing near the Tree of Life Gardens in the Animal Kingdom. This group of people were very excited and pointing at a squirrel in a tree. Apparently the squirrel was the most exotic animal they had seen all day.

We saw people from Asia also doing this.

A friend was visiting from Australia (where, apparently, they do not have squirrels) and thought that squirrels were absolutely amazing. We heard many stories about the squirrels she saw during the day.

I have to talk myself through "Tough to be a Bug". It scares the heck out of me.

The first time we saw the bug life show we were in the front. When the bugs popped up through the bench i jumped up out of my seat. Im sure a few people laughed at me. It weirded me out. I wasnt expecting it thats for sure.

The first time we saw the bug life show we were in the front. When the bugs popped up through the bench i jumped up out of my seat. Im sure a few people laughed at me. It weirded me out. I wasnt expecting it thats for sure.

Don't worry I do that everyy time! :laughing: I have to conquer my fear of that show, because I want to like it, but it just creeps me out :scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter