One for the books

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's obnoxious is that an ADULT would complain about a CHILD needing a small flashlight to feel safe on a ride. Grow up, people. We were all scared children at one point.

Welcome to Disboards, where someone doesn't agree with you so you get called obnoxious!!

I'm going to have to say that I don't think the poster was talking about the part of your quote where you were saying the child needing a light. It's extremely selfish to say "I take flash photos on dark rides. Get over it!" That's what's obnoxious. Then you said "everyone tell me what a horrible person I am". Well...

Exactly. I said I take photos on rides and other people didn't agree with me. So I was called obnoxious. All the times I've been to Disney, no one has ever asked me to stop or complained about it. Ive also been on many rides where people around me were taking pictures and I never complained. What a shock!

Clearly, some people think that being a member on Disboards makes them the Disney police. If a Cast Member was to tell me to stop, I would right away...but not other tourists. News flash guys, over 1,000 posts on Disboards doesn't give you entitlement!

It's really comical at this point...I knew this would happen.

I'm sorry, but even glow sticks are annoying to me when on dark rides. Justify it any way you want in regards to children being scared, but I still see the glow, and it is distracting from the ride experience.

Just being honest...

I've got the best idea for a customizable MyMagic+ experience! What if Disney were to let DISers sign up in advance to use MagicBand to somehow block out any imperfection on the ride that way even the slightest "bad" behavior will be blocked and not taint their magical experience!

Exactly. I said I take photos on rides and other people didn't agree with me. So I was called obnoxious. All the times I've been to Disney, no one has ever asked me to stop or complained about it. Ive also been on many rides where people around me were taking pictures and I never complained. What a shock!

Clearly, some people think that being a member on Disboards makes them the Disney police. If a Cast Member was to tell me to stop, I would right away...but not other tourists. News flash guys, over 1,000 posts on Disboards doesn't give you entitlement!

It's really comical at this point...I knew this would happen.

"All the times I've been to Disney, no one has ever asked me to stop or complained about it."

Lol you've not taken flash photos on a ride with me then. I never said I was the Disney police. Being polite and courteous also applies to the real world, not just WDW. But since we are specifically talking about Disney experiences, can you please tell me exactly why it is you feel compelled to take numerous pictures of rides?? Are you a once in a lifetime type? I just assume the ones who take flash photos repeatedly just want to document everything because they'll never go back again. Makes me sad for them.

I've got the best idea for a customizable MyMagic+ experience! What if Disney were to let DISers sign up in advance to use MagicBand to somehow block out any imperfection on the ride that way even the slightest "bad" behavior will be blocked and not taint their magical experience!

This!

Being clueless about how flash photography on a dark ride disturbs others--and it does disturb others--is one thing, being completely aware of it and not giving a flying flip is a different place altogether.

One thing my husband taught me 20 years ago and I'll always remember. I used to be an avid picture taker but he didn't even own a camera. When I asked why he said you are missing the experience while taking pictures. My picture count went down after that but the enjoyment of experiencing the moment (not through a viewfinder) went up. That's why I'm happy about the Disney photographers who can document a lot of my experiences. If I want to see an amateur video of POTC, I'll look on YouTube!

Is it also a problem if a child brings a small flashlight for the dark rides. We were going to try that as my granddaughter is afraid, but I don't want to do anything to spoil someone else's experience. If that is the case maybe she could just wear glow necklaces and bracelets, but I thought the flashlight would make her more secure.
The sneakers with the lights in the heels that turn on when you walk might work well. She could "click her heels together" :goodvibes

Being clueless about how flash photography on a dark ride disturbs others--and it does disturb others--is one thing, being completely aware of it and not giving a flying flip is a different place altogether.

Agreed! I do often feel bad for "foreigners" (not trying to be offensive to anyone) who don't understand many of the spiels and such. As I'm sure most are away, many of them are not Spanish and cannot speak English (or not to the level of fluency where they can understand it that quickly) leaving them in the dark (pardon the pun) with these rules. Does that mean they should chant as an abnormally high volume under Spaceship Earth? No. Does it mean they deserve a bit of "slack" when it comes to minor disturbances of a dark ride? I'd argue yes. I'd imagine, in today's world, most don't really understand how it affects others.

I think things like this are why its so hard to enjoy places like WDW sometimes. Everyone feels entitled to do what they want, when they want, no matter who it may inconvenience or ruin an experience for. If we would all be just a little more considerate, how much more enjoyable would places where large crowds gather be? 90% of people that I ran into on our first WDW trip were great. Kind, considerate, etc. But, unfortunately there will always be that 10% who feel they are more important than others, or who rules don't apply to. If dark rides bothered my child, then we wouldn't ride. We'd wait until she was more comfortable with that type of attraction before we did.

Welcome to Disboards, where someone doesn't agree with you so you get called obnoxious!!

For someone who claims to not care what other people think, you sure seem like you care. No one would be getting this defensive if they truly didnt care.

I think you are probably just trolling us..

I'm sorry, but even glow sticks are annoying to me when on dark rides. Justify it any way you want in regards to children being scared, but I still see the glow, and it is distracting from the ride experience.

Just being honest...

While we didn't use ours, the ones we brought (just in case) were purple -- the idea being that the light would be the least intrusive and would actually fit with the theme of the ride. Completely innocuous? No, but far less obnoxious than using a flashlight and still less obnoxious than a scared, crying child.

I'm one of those people that doesn't go nuts if someone takes pictures on a ride. I do it myself!! Everyone tell me what a horrible person I am!!

Anywho, if your granddaughter will feel more comfortable with a flashlight, go for it! She should be able to enjoy rides just like everyone else. I wouldn't worry about other people.

Enjoy!

disney is such a fantastic place, the only thing spoils it occasionally are those people who don't worry about other people, just glad i'm not one of those.

Last year when I went with my Dad and younger siblings, we rode Ellen's Energy Adventure. The rules clearly state no flash photography. However, the woman in front of us was doing it anyway. My Dad finally said something. In my head I'm screaming "What part of no flash photography do you not understand?".

They should give us spray bottles so we can squirt those using flash photography on dark rides. Sort of like training a pet to not get on the furniture.

Note I said FLASH photography. Most dark rides have either signage and/or a recording message to not use your flash. If you continue to do so, then you are flat out ignoring the rules set forth by Disney and are being selfish. Sorry, but it is not all about you.

To quote George Costanza: "We're living in a society!" :rolleyes2

"Why can't there be some things just for me (like, say, a dark ride at Disney)? Is that so selfish?"
"Actually, that's the definition of selfish."

jerry-seinfeld-george-costanza.jpg

I normally stay out of these, but seriously? The pp you quoted did not complain about a "CHILD" needing a flashlight, but someone NOT being concerned about other people. There are many solutions to helping PEOPLE that are afraid of the dark. Maybe in trying to find a solution, there is one that is not as likely to be an infringement on other people.

Example of picture taking: I have been known on some dark rides to take pictures, but I turn off my flash since the flash distorts the pictures and I only use my view finder and not the back of the camera. I also do this when my moving around is not as likely to interfear with others view of the attraction. Sometimes this is requesting the last row of a ride or being in an individual car type ride.

Example of helping with fear of dark places: Let the person with the fear know there is a flashlight in a bag if it is needed if the ride stops or all the lights go out. Then for the ride, use glow-in-the-dark items or smaller items that have a light that does not actully shine far, such as a pen light that individuals use for close up work. Most people I know, children included, that have a fear of dark, just cannot handle pitch dark and being in a darker place just increases that fear.

What the heck?! does this person not have children or have the luck of having a kid that is not scared?
I have a son who is pertrified of dark tunnels and has to be almost forced to ride most rides at WDW as they all start off entering a darkened tunnel. Even baby rides like Peter Pan. Let me just say we entered Spaceship Earth and the CM saw the fear in my son's eyes and said " here buddy take this ( a flashlight), just keep is pointed down" ... so to answer this woman's question, yes a flashlight is ok.. Just use common sense ( which so many I fear here dont have) and keep it from being pointed at the show/ride..

though glowsticks I might try in the future..What I also did was give my smart phone to my son.. Especially by scary stuff. I put Tom and Jerry on and it kept him focused off the ride, so the rest of us could enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter