One dollar coins vs. one bills for mousekeeper tips?

GSLand

Mouseketeer
what do you think of leaving the One dollar coins vs. the bills for Mousekeepers?
I think they are kinda neat - do others think they are too much of a pain?
(I get them as change at the post office)

I think the dollar bills will be much simpler for them to put away in a wallet and to spend. The dollar coins make nice gifts for kids though.

A dollar is a dollar is a dollar :sunny: - it is nice of you to tip mousekeeping - I am sure the tip is far more important than the currency unit

Where we live, there are no $1 bills or $2 bills anymore - we have $1 and $2 coines - loonies and toonies - people have gotten used to them

I thought the $ coins were generally out of circulation in the States

Have a great day

Cheers
jaysue

We like to give out the coins too but most people are confused by then thinking it is a tarnished quarter... :rolleyes: We get them for change when we buy stamps in a machine..we used to save them for the toothfairy to use. Anymore I just spend them when I get them.
You can go to the bank and get $2 bills too.

I think people remember you when you tip differently from everyone else, so if you want to use the gold coins give it a go, my kids love them so perhaps the receiver of the tip will think so too.. money is money afterall..

Bev

I prefer tipping in bills, as it's easier for them. I get the dollar coins in our work vending machine as change, but always end up exchanging them, as they get heavy in my bag. Plus, if they do not know it's a dollar coin, they may think it's a quarter.

I give the dollar coins.....err.....I mean the tooth fairy gives dollar coins to the kids for lost teeth. Then, they can save all their change and other money and buy Disney Dollars when we go on vacation.

GSLand said:
what do you think of leaving the One dollar coins vs. the bills for Mousekeepers?
I think they are kinda neat - do others think they are too much of a pain?
(I get them as change at the post office)
Money is money. I'd rather have a $5 bill than five golden dollar coins, but I'd rather have five golden dollar coins than no money at all!

Don't give them as a tip because you think they're "neat." Give them as a tip because you have them and because they are convenient for you to give as a tip.

In other words, if that's what you happen to have, then use them. But I wouldn't advise going out fo your way to acquire them to then specifically use them for tips.

Ok....I know I shouldn't....but I really enjoy using the dollar coins when the people don't get it. My personal favorite is the fast food drive thru--they tend to be really snotty about it. "Look Lady....I said $4.85!!" and then I get to very innocently reply...."Mamam...I gave you $5...I believe you owe me 15 cents." :rotfl2: I know this shouldn't amuse me, but sadly it does.

Now.....disclaimer.....it I thought there was a reason they didn't get it like language barrier etc. then I wouldn't have fun with it....but in most instances I just have to chuckle later. :blush:

I think the only place I have seen $2 bills is at Monticello - Jefferson's home place. They give them as change there in the gift shop.

GSLand said:
I think the only place I have seen $2 bills is at Monticello - Jefferson's home place. They give them as change there in the gift shop.
Actually, you can get them at ANY bank (well, I guess there may be SOME that don't have them) just by asking for them.

Years ago, I brought 100 $2 bills to a friend's bachelor party. It was fun using them there. :rolleyes1

With Mousekeeping? Well, unlikely it would be AS MUCH fun, but definitely not as inconvenient as the golden dollars.

I think I would have to agree with using bills for Mousekeeping.

Since your targeted reciever of the tip you trust into your room while you are not there it's probably best to avoid any type of confusion of quarters/dollar coins , especially since most of us wipe our faces on our towels. ;)

I personally am very fond of the dollar coins! I also collect the 2$ bills so go figure. :)

I might be odd, but I unload any "unusual" money ASAP. Don't like using the $2.00, OR the Dollar coin. There's no place for them in a cash register drawer!

Although you find them neat, I would guess a housekeeper might not, particularly if they are difficult to use because they confuse vendors. Keep it simple and give them standard bills that they can easily carry and easily spend.

:offtopic: :scared1: I have always heard that $2 bills are bad luck! I am very superstitious about them and have gotten rid of any as soon as I receive them.
I had to check to see if my superstition is founded (is a "founded superstition" an oxymoron?--anyway). I found this on Wikipedia
Two dollar bills have been considered unlucky, particularly by gamblers in the past. The origin of this idea is thought to stem from the lowest value card in a deck of cards being the "deuce." Gamblers would often tear or cut one corner of the two dollar bill when they received it in order to counter the bad luck that might occur. It was at one point not uncommon to find a two dollar bill with two, three or even all four corners torn or cut off.
Some wait-staff also have a ritual to counter the bad luck from a two dollar bill, by kissing or pretending to kiss the bill when it has been received.

There's other interesting $2 bill info on there, if you have absolutely nothing else to do :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter