One Disneylander's View of First Trip to WDW (long)

Do not buy churros at WDW, that's one of the first things we learned on our first trip to WDW. We found them at a cart near Space Mountain and it looked they had been sitting there all day (they probably were). Nothing beats a fresh churro from DL. We also missed the chimichangas as well, definitely not found at WDW. The one thing we love that they don't have at DL are the waffle sandwiches at MK, especially the waffle with Nutella and fruit.

The biggest factor that goes into resort selection at WDW is the bus situation. We do not like the sprawling resorts like Saratoga Springs or Caribbean Beach, where there are 5+ bus stops and you can't walk to your room from the lobby. If there is an internal bus shuttle, that's the first warning sign. For the Values, Pop Century and AoA were great because they don't share stops with other resorts. We just look at the lines for the All-Star resorts and are glad we aren't staying there.

Being a DVC member, we have tried almost all DVC resorts and we love being on the monorail line at the Grand Floridian or Polynesian. Our last trip we stayed at Bay Lake/Contemporary and walking to MK was awesome. AK Lodge was great too, only two bus stops. Our next trip we will be at Boardwalk and being able to walk to Epcot or DHS should be great, especially for the Flower & Garden event.

Do not buy churros at WDW, that's one of the first things we learned on our first trip to WDW. We found them at a cart near Space Mountain and it looked they had been sitting there all day (they probably were). Nothing beats a fresh churro from DL. We also missed the chimichangas as well, definitely not found at WDW. The one thing we love that they don't have at DL are the waffle sandwiches at MK, especially the waffle with Nutella and fruit.

Florida is not at destination reknown for its Mexican food like California is. Perhaps Cuban and Caribbean, but not Mexican. Not even the Mexico pavilion in EPCOT has good Mexcan food IMHO.

The counter question would be: do you want to experience more of what is unique to WDW or are you going to need to immerse yourself in a Disneylandesque experience? If I were going to Disneyland as an easterner that has been to WDW many times, I would spend more time at California Adventure because of its uniqueness.
And vice versa, if I were from the west and had visited DL many times, I would probably spend more time at EPCOT and Animal Kingdom because they are unique to WDW.

I'm thinking you haven't been to DL? Because that would not be a good plan to most. You'd have to visit both parks (MK, DL) to see, but the uniqueness at DL is pretty amazing.

Thank you so much for the report. We are planning a WDW trip (Port Orleans French Quarter) for May and these reflections are very helpful. I am interested to see WDW (for the first time in 18 years!), but really love my home park in California. We went to DLP in 2013 and I became that much more of a proponent of DLR! I really appreciate hearing about WDW from a DLR vet. Thanks again for putting together a report.

I'm wondering what you think is the minimum amount of time you could get away with for a trip to WDW with two 11-year olds. We go to DLR every year so we see this as kind of an "add-on" trip as we are taking advantage of a hop over from a Texas visit. We currently have 4 days at WDW and 2 days at Universal planned, but I am concerned that is too short. I could change my trip up a bit but it would cost a fair amount to do so. I would love to know your thoughts.

I would suggest longer than 4 days at WDW. I went with only my 5yo a few years ago and spent 3.5 days at WDW and we only made it to 3 parks, but my objective was to go at her pace and to figure out the parks, layout, etc. As it happened, we ended up going as a family of 4 at the end of that year, so the earlier trip helped immensely with planning. Since my husband was going on that trip, I was really worried that he would hate it as crowds, commercialized things, and amusement parks are not his thing at all - therefore, I treated it as a one and only trip expecting to never get him to WDW again, and - spoiler - we have not gone back since. We stayed at Beach Club for 8 nights for the proximity to EPCOT - assuming DH might bail on us at times throughout the trip and that EPCOT would be his favorite park. I was right, EPCOT was his favorite, followed by Animal Kingdom. I planned out all 9 days (8 nights) with a variety of activities, parks, etc. We felt like we did a whole lot, but still left so many things undone. It was a good trip.

Hotels and transportation: I liked the busses, but staying near a park is certainly nice. It is walkable to Hollywood Studios, but if it were really hot, or I was really tired from a day at the park, I don't think I would desire the walk quite so much. With my youngest, I stayed at Wilderness Lodge and had the option of the boat or the bus to the parks. Many people have cars and drive to all the parks - I hear once you pay for parking you do not pay again that day - just to keep your receipt so you can show proof of payment for that day- I have not done this, so cannot say for sure.

For the record, DH did really enjoy the WDW trip - he never bailed on us once and is open to returning to WDW. I'm taking youngest to DL this December!!! So now I'll get to experience these parks for myself!

I would suggest longer than 4 days at WDW. I went with only my 5yo a few years ago and spent 3.5 days at WDW and we only made it to 3 parks, but my objective was to go at her pace and to figure out the parks, layout, etc. As it happened, we ended up going as a family of 4 at the end of that year, so the earlier trip helped immensely with planning. Since my husband was going on that trip, I was really worried that he would hate it as crowds, commercialized things, and amusement parks are not his thing at all - therefore, I treated it as a one and only trip expecting to never get him to WDW again, and - spoiler - we have not gone back since. We stayed at Beach Club for 8 nights for the proximity to EPCOT - assuming DH might bail on us at times throughout the trip and that EPCOT would be his favorite park. I was right, EPCOT was his favorite, followed by Animal Kingdom. I planned out all 9 days (8 nights) with a variety of activities, parks, etc. We felt like we did a whole lot, but still left so many things undone. It was a good trip.

Hotels and transportation: I liked the busses, but staying near a park is certainly nice. It is walkable to Hollywood Studios, but if it were really hot, or I was really tired from a day at the park, I don't think I would desire the walk quite so much. With my youngest, I stayed at Wilderness Lodge and had the option of the boat or the bus to the parks. Many people have cars and drive to all the parks - I hear once you pay for parking you do not pay again that day - just to keep your receipt so you can show proof of payment for that day- I have not done this, so cannot say for sure.

For the record, DH did really enjoy the WDW trip - he never bailed on us once and is open to returning to WDW. I'm taking youngest to DL this December!!! So now I'll get to experience these parks for myself!

That's what I'm thinking. It's going to cost about $700 (not including the extra Disney time) to switch it up, which is why I'm so hesitant. :worried:

I'm thinking you haven't been to DL? Because that would not be a good plan to most. You'd have to visit both parks (MK, DL) to see, but the uniqueness at DL is pretty amazing.

I didn't mean I wouldn't want to visit it. I would absolutely! The POTC, Pinocchio, Alice, Indiana Jones, and Snow White. The restaurants are different. Even the railroad is different. It would be amazing! However, it is still a Magic Kingdom type park and there are 5 in operation. There are unique things about all of them, but they are still similar. I have always wanted to go to DL, even before CA was built. However, if I had 3 days in Anaheim, I would spend 2 in CA and 1 in DL. It's completely different than anything that I can see in WDW. I know there are some rides that they share, but the park itself is unique.

Based on that philosophy, I would recommend that any Dianeylander that wants visit WDW give the 3 parks parks and perhaps the water parks (depending on the time of the year) the majority of their attention and time.

If you stay on property, I don't think you have to pay for parking at the parks at all. At least they didn't make me, even after we had checked out.

If you stay on property, I don't think you have to pay for parking at the parks at all. At least they didn't make me, even after we had checked out.

Correct. Your parking pass for your resort is also your entry to park free at the parks. We made use of this our last trip and it works very well for DHS, AK and EPCOT. For MK, it can work against you, depending on when you arrive and leave. Our experience with the buses has always been with either the All Star resorts or Pop Century. Catching rides to the parks from Pop does typically work pretty well. Closing one of the parks can mean a pretty long wait for a bus and the value resorts always walk the farthest to their bus stops at the parks. Your mileage may vary, but that's the way it has worked for us.

Correct. Your parking pass for your resort is also your entry to park free at the parks. We made use of this our last trip and it works very well for DHS, AK and EPCOT. For MK, it can work against you, depending on when you arrive and leave. Our experience with the buses has always been with either the All Star resorts or Pop Century. Catching rides to the parks from Pop does typically work pretty well. Closing one of the parks can mean a pretty long wait for a bus and the value resorts always walk the farthest to their bus stops at the parks. Your mileage may vary, but that's the way it has worked for us.

Unless you stay at Contemporary to which you can walk or the Deluxe resorts that have a boat ride, then leaving MK at closing is always going to be a long tortuous affair. Which is to be expected with the most visited theme park at WDW. Notice that I said boats, because trying to queue up for the monorail when thousands of other guests are trying to get back to their cars at the TTC via monorail is just an exercise in futility and frustration.

Thank you for your review. I'm a long time WDW visitor since I live in Georgia and it's just a 7 hour drive away. My dream is to get to DL but I have the problem that the west coast people have with visiting the east coast. It would take longer if I wanted to do my regular 5 days in the park since I'd have to factor in at least 2 days flying times. I'm limited to what I can take, again with the flying thing I drive to Florida. It will cost more for me to go to DL then it does for me to go to WDW, I would insist on staying at the Grand Californian since I stay at the deluxe resorts at WDW. I have APs so park hopping is a must for me as well. I'm told I went to DL as a baby, I was born in Cucamonga (before the Rancho was added) and we lived in Pasadena but we moved when I was 3 so I don't remember it.

I don't see either coast as better than the other, of course I might change my mind if I ever get to DL. I think the problem for most people coming to WDW is they tend to over plan and don't take the time to just stop and enjoy the parks. The advantage of being a frequent visitor is that you will be back so if you miss something it's no harm no foul and after a while you begin to appreciate the things other than the rides. Frankly, I rarely even book FPs and if I do it's just for one ride. I also don't book ADRs in advance, we wait until the we get to the park every morning and go to GS and play ADR roulette. Again, my son is grown so as adults we don't have to have the "must do" things and it's fun discovering new places. I agree the buses can be a pain and I try to stay in an Epcot resort because of that. I love Epcot and HS and spend a part of each day at one or the other so being able to walk to them is priceless. Having said that, I'm branching out and trying the values and moderates via split-stays just to check them out. I stayed at the three MK resorts when they opened and before the Epcot resorts opened, I'm not a fan of the monorail and MK is a half day park for me so there is no advantage to that. I just treat the buses as part of the experience, I relax, I read my kindle on my phone. PHs are an advantage as well, if one park is too crowded just move to another one. Taking it slow and easy pays as well. Many complain about the heat, I'm guessing being from Georgia I have an advantage because I often go in August and it really doesn't bother me, I'm more apt to complain about the cold then the heat.

Nothing wrong with preferring one to the other, it's all about enjoying yourself no matter which coast you are on. Here's hoping I get out to your part of the country and get to experience DL.

I don't see either coast as better than the other, of course I might change my mind if I ever get to DL.

Your views on whether one resort is better than the other will definitely carry more weight when you have actually been to both of them.

There are a fair number of ADR's cancelled 1-2 days before. A brief glance just now at reservations for two days from now compared to two or four weeks shows a significantly higher amount of open reservations for two days from now, especially at Hollywood Studios. However, I would not count on last minute ADR's for a place you defintely want to eat at during a trip. I would keep checking reguarly for hard to get ADR's and if something opens up, you have to book it immediately. More than once I did start booking immediately but wasn't fast enough, and the reservation was taken by someone else.

True, it helps to be as flexible as possible.

Ah, very interesting! I didn't know that price perhaps doesn't correlate to better bus service. I guess what I mean about Epcot vs MK is that as a DL person going to WDW, am I going to want to spend more time at Epcot or MK? I am thinking Epcot, since we don't have kids and we enjoy the idea of Epcot more. But we've never been. So it's hard to know.

So admitting that as DLR vets we didn't love our first adult trip to WDW in 2013, nor were we big fans of Epcot...we're going back to WDW in 2016 and we now understand why people love staying in the Epcot resort area so much. (We're planning on Beach Club when we return next year.) At WDW in 2013, we stayed at Pop, spent a lot of time at Magic Kingdom, and felt very isolated. We missed the DLR vibe of walking out of your on-site hotel and being smack in the middle of Downtown Disney, a short walk from the parks and the other hotels, and surrounded by restaurants, shops, etc. The closest equivalent to that vibe at WDW is in the Epcot resort area. Staying at any Deluxe around Crescent Lake, it's a short walk to the eateries, clubs, and shops at the Boardwalk, to the other area resorts, and into Epcot's World Showcase (via the International Gateway) for more food/drink/liveliness. (And a longer but doable walk, or a Friendship boat ride, to Hollywood Studios.) I'll still probably spend a lot of time at MK (which is a bus ride from the Crescent Lake resorts and which we still like better), but the outside-the-parks vibe at the MK resorts--and really, all the non-Crescent Lake resorts--is nothing at all like the DLR vibe. You might feel more "at home" in the Epcot resort area.

So admitting that as DLR vets we didn't love our first adult trip to WDW in 2013, nor were we big fans of Epcot...we're going back to WDW in 2016 and we now understand why people love staying in the Epcot resort area so much. (We're planning on Beach Club when we return next year.) At WDW in 2013, we stayed at Pop, spent a lot of time at Magic Kingdom, and felt very isolated. We missed the DLR vibe of walking out of your on-site hotel and being smack in the middle of Downtown Disney, a short walk from the parks and the other hotels, and surrounded by restaurants, shops, etc. The closest equivalent to that vibe at WDW is in the Epcot resort area. Staying at any Deluxe around Crescent Lake, it's a short walk to the eateries, clubs, and shops at the Boardwalk, to the other area resorts, and into Epcot's World Showcase (via the International Gateway) for more food/drink/liveliness. (And a longer but doable walk, or a Friendship boat ride, to Hollywood Studios.) I'll still probably spend a lot of time at MK (which is a bus ride from the Crescent Lake resorts and which we still like better), but the outside-the-parks vibe at the MK resorts--and really, all the non-Crescent Lake resorts--is nothing at all like the DLR vibe. You might feel more "at home" in the Epcot resort area.

And I like staying at the Pop Century because we can get full onsite perks at less than half the cost of the cheapest onsite room at DLR :) But we're not big resort people. We tend to do open to close in the parks. I'm sure that makes a big difference.

I disagree :) we live 12 miles from Disneyland, hold premium passes and go almost weekly but my entire family ALL still state that they love Disneyworld far more and feel way more immersed with the resorts, buses etc.. which is something that Disneyland can't ever compete with. While churro's are plentiful here, it isn't my thing but my DH and DS love them. I guess since we can get them all the time, they never really even thought about it there. We are planning again for Aug 2016 to go back and everyone is excited to go... I can't wait to go back and get a break from Disneyland and go back to Epcot...

So for this SoCal family... obviously we will keep our passes to Dland and love going but we treasure the visits to Disneyworld all the more :)

Thank you for taking the time to relay your experience. Though I have technically been to WDW, I was a toddler and don't remember it, plus a whole lot has changed since then!

I am planning on a WDW trip sometime in 2017, so I really appreciated your thoughts. I just don't see how WDW can beat DLR in my eyes, but I want to give it a shot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter