One day trip. Would you do it?

1osfan

Mouseketeer
Our family took three amazing trips to WDW over the course of three summers and loved every moment. Now, we were unable to take a trip this past summer and will not be able to take a trip this upcoming summer. We now have a third child who just turned two, is fascinated by castles, and loves princesses. I would love to take her to the MK. We don't have the money to take a "normal" vacation to WDW this summer but we may be able to swing one day. The catch - we live 18 hours from WDW.

I am just curious how many of you would make an 18 hour drive to spend two nights at WDW and visit MK for one day. Couple of other details - we have three kids: 10, 6, and 2; we take a trip every summer to visit family - it's a 10 hour drive and we make it with no problems. We would drive the 18 hours to Orlando, spend a day resting and a day at MK, then drive 15 hours to see our family.

I know it sounds crazy - it sounds that way to me. But, we love Disney and I would love to see my daughter's face when she sees the castle and the princesses.

Our family took three amazing trips to WDW over the course of three summers and loved every moment. Now, we were unable to take a trip this past summer and will not be able to take a trip this upcoming summer. We now have a third child who just turned two, is fascinated by castles, and loves princesses. I would love to take her to the MK. We don't have the money to take a "normal" vacation to WDW this summer but we may be able to swing one day. The catch - we live 18 hours from WDW.

I am just curious how many of you would make an 18 hour drive to spend two nights at WDW and visit MK for one day. Couple of other details - we have three kids: 10, 6, and 2; we take a trip every summer to visit family - it's a 10 hour drive and we make it with no problems. We would drive the 18 hours to Orlando, spend a day resting and a day at MK, then drive 15 hours to see our family.

I know it sounds crazy - it sounds that way to me. But, we love Disney and I would love to see my daughter's face when she sees the castle and the princesses.

Personally, I would not do it. To drive 18 hours for one day....nope. Is it possible for you to just save up for the next year and take a "normal" vacation next summer? I would think that would be a lot more satisfying. Again, just my opinion. :goodvibes

Agree with previous poster. She'll surely enjoy it as much when she is 3, and with her sibs. Wait til next year!

Mousemommy1 said:
Personally, I would not do it. To drive 18 hours for one day....nope. Is it possible for you to just save up for the next year and take a "normal" vacation next summer? I would think that would be a lot more satisfying. Again, just my opinion. :goodvibes

I agree. This will be such a tiring experience. Your older children will likely be disappointed by the lack of time for experiences in the World.

I'd do it!!! Just make sure you get plenty of sleep before you drive and take turns with the spouse. I've driven 18 house by myself before it wasn't that bad but I was also loaded up on monster energy drinks. I say take advantage of the here and now.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Seems like a lot of travel expense for 1 day. I understand the desire, but as others have said, maybe a better plan would be to take the $$ this trip would have cost and apply it to next year.

I would do it. I think that the biggest memories are from the biggest plans. Plan it right and you will be fine.

No way!! But my kids are MONSTERS in the car. We just did a 5 hour road trip last weekend and it was torture. By the time I got there I wouldn't be able to enjoy it one bit.

Now, we did a 2 day trip to Disney last summer because we were already in Orlando. It was worth every second. But we flew to Orlando, and had a really nice inexpensive hotel and did it on the cheap.

I would definitely do it even just for one day! We live about 18 hours away from the MK too and drive every time we visit so my kids are used to the drive and sleep well in the car.

That's too much driving to make it worthwhile. If you could stretch it to one more day, then it may be worth doing. Eighteen hours is a long drive. Even if you have two drivers, you'll be rather tired the next day. There's a big difference between 10 hours and 18.

I personally wouldn't do it. Not just because of the length of the drive, but paying park admission for just one day is outrageous on top of all that gas money. It's easier to handle paying the gas and admission prices for a multi-day trip.

I would find something closer to take your daughter to and save up for a longer Disney trip. Next month we are driving 3 hours for a Chicago weekend trip and going to Medieval Times (a castle dinner show thing, they have multiple locaions too) since our guy is really into knights now and we just really love Chicago. Search around, there are other castle options besides Disney World. No doubt our son loves Disney World, but to be honest he's had just as much fun doing little outings and cheap beach trips. Recently we took a nice cruise and it's the day we spent at the beach after the cruise that our son keeps talking about! He says that was his favorite part.

Another suggestions is look for a Little Tikes Classic Castle. We got a used one off Craigslist for $50 in excellent shape. He's gotten hours of use in that and it's a huge hit for all the kids who comes over. I've spent hours sitting inside slaying dragons as well, a few days a week we sit in there together eating lunch. Something like that will create more memories and enjoyment than a one day Disney trip.

Kids don't need something extravagant in order to have a good time. To a young kid, a castle is a castle. I would personally find a different way to indulge your daughter and save for a nicer Disney trip in the future:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter