• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

One day plans using Uber

luvsvacation

Mouseketeer
We are a family of 4 (2 adult kids, 19 & 18) We’ll be spending the week at a Disneyland next week. We have Saturday, the 23rd free and would like to do some touristy things. We will have no car since we’re staying across the street from the park. How realistic are our plans given that we need to rely on Uber for all of our traveling. We have reservations at 11:00 for a starlight tours celebrity homes tour that meets at 10:30 in front of the Dolby theater. Thinking of getting there earlier to walk around a bit and see the “Hollywood” stuff. Should be done with the tour by about 1. Then taking another uber to the Getty villa in Malibu. Have lunch and look around there (daughter loves Greek/Roman stuff) Then take another uber to Griffith park and walk around, maybe see the observatory, maybe walk up near the sign?? Then eventually take an uber back to our hotel in Anaheim. Does this sound doable? Especially relying on ubers?

It's doable, but sometimes drivers will cancel a ride if they think it's too far after they see the destination. Because of that, I'd call the ride about an hour before you want to go and just be early if they come on time.

Rent a car for the day. It'll be cheaper than all of those Uber rides.

This sounds great in theory and might work on a weekday, but my observation from pricing this out multiple times in the past is that the Anaheim rental car locations within walking distance of Disneyland have very limited hours on Saturdays and are closed on Sundays, meaning that your intended one-day car rental becomes a Saturday pick up and Monday drop off. And since they don't open early on Monday mornings, the total rental period ends up being more than 2 days. Just pricing it out for the weekend this poster is looking at it would be around $250, and the rental car also likely means a hotel parking charge for two nights (and possibly parking charges in Hollywood). It likely still be cheaper than 4 ubers, including two all the way to Hollywood and back, especially because they would need an XL with 4 people, but it's not necessarily easy or convenient.

Another alternative would be to take a Lyft/Uber to SNA on Saturday morning to rent a car that could be returned on Saturday night.

Thank you all for the replies. I looked into renting a car but ran into nothing but trouble with car rental places walking distance from Disney. Short hours and no after hours drop box. Thanks to Mel for the idea of renting from SNA. I found a car for under 100 for the day!

Hollywood is 30+ miles from Disneyland. I agree with the poster above me. I would see if I could find a cheap one day car rental before I rack up Uber charges.
And not only is it 30+ miles away, but with LA traffic, it can easily take up to two hours.

Rent a car. Go thru Costco travel They have car rentals in
Disneyland area and across the street Use your phone for directions to area you want to visit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter