• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

One day only?

NLD

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Just found out I'll be going to Anaheim for a work conference, end of August.

Considering flying a day early to get a Disney fix. However, I'll only have one day for DLR.

I am a WDW vet, have been to FL the past five years. Grew up in So Cal and did lots of trips to DL back then, but haven't been since before California Adventure. Obviously I'd like to focus on rides that are unique to DLR.

What do you recommend as a plan for one day only? Parkhop or not? Kind of dying to see Cars Land, but not sure I could entirely skip DL--but would it be silly to parkhop with only one day?

Date I'd be at the park is Monday, Aug 26. It's early entry for CA that day, which makes me worried about getting to ride RSR without too much wait.

Anyway. Enough rambling. What do you all think? Parkhopper or not? Must-see attractions? Order of attractions?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

Just found out I'll be going to Anaheim for a work conference, end of August.

Considering flying a day early to get a Disney fix. However, I'll only have one day for DLR.

I am a WDW vet, have been to FL the past five years. Grew up in So Cal and did lots of trips to DL back then, but haven't been since before California Adventure. Obviously I'd like to focus on rides that are unique to DLR.

What do you recommend as a plan for one day only? Parkhop or not? Kind of dying to see Cars Land, but not sure I could entirely skip DL--but would it be silly to parkhop with only one day?

Date I'd be at the park is Monday, Aug 26. It's early entry for CA that day, which makes me worried about getting to ride RSR without too much wait.

Anyway. Enough rambling. What do you all think? Parkhopper or not? Must-see attractions? Order of attractions?

Thanks in advance!

Yay a day at Disneyland!

I would say get a parkhopper. I would start out in DL getting there as soon as the park opens (my daughter and I were there last week got there early and rode most everything we wanted to before it got crowded). I would say must sees would be Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, Pirates, Space Mtn., Star Tours, and pretty much everything in DCA as you have never been.

As you are on your own take advantage of the single rider line for RSR. My favorite time to ride is at night when its all lit up.

Thanks Plutos Mommy.

Didn't know RSR has a single-rider line--that is fantastic news. Any other big attractions with single-rider? Indiana Jones? Matterhorn?

How fun!

I was raised in Alabama, but my dad's business required that he visit the Anaheim area quite a bit, so he had an annual pass to Disneyland. Sometimes, he would have just enough time to watch a parade or grab his favorite snack back in the day -- the Snickerdoodle. So, even if you want to focus on Carsland and DCA, it's always worth a quick stroll around Disneyland. Definitely get the park hopper.

One day as a solo traveler is plenty of time to do and see lots, especially with the single rider (I don't know which others besides the ones mentioned are available) and early entry. We really enjoyed World of Color when we saw it on our last trip, so there's an idea. Either way, have a great trip!

Splash Mountain also has a single rider line. You go in through the exit. There have been days that I have literally walked onto that ride as there was no one in line for single riders.

I would get a park hopper for sure and as you have said concentrate on the rides that you don't have at WDW. Even though you also have Pirates at WDW the Disneyland version is longer.

Super jealous! I wish I worked for a company that would send me to conferences!!!

Even though DCA has early entry that morning, they don't start giving out fast passes to RSR until the park opens. Get a fast pass for that and then go up the hill and get one for World of Color. Ride Toy Story mania then head over to DL and get all the must do rides out of the way. This way you can get on what you want. I don't believe WOC or RSR count towards fast passes so you can get another one for a separate ride. Good luck & have fun!

Definitely make a point to see Cars Land, ride RSR and see World of Color at DCA. My husband loves Screamin' so if you are roller coaster person, do that ride as well. It also has a single rider line. Matterhorn now has a single rider line too!

I would definitely get a hopper so you can go back and forth. We have annual passes and hop back and forth all the time! Enjoy!

Splash Mountain also has a single rider line. You go in through the exit. There have been days that I have literally walked onto that ride as there was no one in line for single riders.

I would get a park hopper for sure and as you have said concentrate on the rides that you don't have at WDW. Even though you also have Pirates at WDW the Disneyland version is longer.

Super jealous! I wish I worked for a company that would send me to conferences!!!

I forgot Splash had a SR line. :thumbsup2

Single rider in DL are Splash, Indiana Jones and Matterhorn. In CA, RSR, Screamin, Soarin, GSS and GRR.

Speaking of walking onto Splash, that's all we've ever done on that ride. We always go when it's a little cool out and early in the morning. Walked right on both times.

I love it.

See:

420177_10101314066591905_1664563910_n.jpg

Me and the husband. That's my fun face! ::yes::

Thanks Plutos Mommy.

Didn't know RSR has a single-rider line--that is fantastic news. Any other big attractions with single-rider? Indiana Jones? Matterhorn?

Disneyland:

-Matterhorn
-Indian Jones
-Splash Mountain

DCA:

-Soarin
-Radiator Springs Racers
-Grizzly River Run
-Sky School
-California Screamin

Disneyland:

-Matterhorn
-Indian Jones
-Splash Mountain

DCA:

-Soarin
-Radiator Springs Racers
-Grizzly River Run
-Sky School
-California Screamin

Yeah I was going to name all of those as well and the beauty of it is those are all FP rides minus one, Matterhorn, so more than half of the resorts FP attractions are SR and you dont have to deal with FP at all with the hassle of dealing with times, trying to make the return windows or trying to get more FPs to reride them. You will do the most popular rides 10-15 mins tops as a SR. Even RSR its under 30 mins these days.

So yeah since you are alone and you plan to get there early do a parkhopper and just hit DCA first to do CL/RSR. Once you get RSR out of the way, the rest of the park will be SUPER easy in the morning. You can probably hit all the SR rides in 2 hours (giving time to get to them). You grab FPs for TOT which is always a quick return time in the morning/afternoon, you will be on that in no time, assuming its even busy (and Im sure as you know a bit different from DHS). And the dark rides like MI and TLM are walk ons all day. TSM will be busier but if you hit that in the morning first thing 20 mins or less if you must do it.

My advice is hit DCA first, give yourself from 7-11 a.m. (with the extra hour) and you will basically do everything WITHIN reason with all the FP and SR advantages and then spend from 11-8 at DL. IF you want to see WOC, grab a ticket for the 9 p.m. show in the morning and give yourself an hour in line (which is why I say 8) and then after you see WOC either high tail it back to DL to catch the fireworks OR do anything you missed or want to do again in DCA since you will have 30 mins before park closing. And then if you are not completely dead lol you will still have 2 hours left for DL and you can get A LOT done once the fireworks are over.

Or you can go back to your room and pass out! ;)

Of course you may want to circle back to DCA in the afternoon to catch the parade, Alladin, etc, but this is just a rough guide. Basically you want to probably spend 4-5 solid hours in each park if possible first and then park hop to catch shows, meals, etc.

I will say the 'must see' attractions in each park is:

Disneyland:

-Space Mountain (FP)
-Matterhorn (only one in the world!) (SR)
-POTC
-HM
-Star Tours (FP)
-Toad Wild Ride (the only one...now)
-Splash Mountain (FP/SR)
-Indiana Jones (FP/SR)
-Alice (Again, the only one, right?)
-Nemo Subs (this one IS unique but yes it seems to be mixed. If its under 30 mins and you got time, do it. Still cool to have ONE park with subs)

DCA:

-Soarin (FP/SR)
-TOT (FP)
-Calif. Screamin (FP/SR)
-RSR (FP/SR)
-Maters
-TSM
-TLM

And then the slow/take it all in attractions with smaller lines and inbetween the big stuff or if you have filler time.

DL:

-Train
-IASW
-Lincoln
-DL Museum
-Monorail
-Mark Twain

DCA:

-Red Car Trolly
-Animation Studio (actually a must see IMO, but depends on time...give a peek at the lobby if nothing else)
-Any of the 2 3D films (but probably done these to death at WDW so wouldnt worry then)
-Factory tour (A nice remnant of DCA 1.0)

These are the top shows in the resort IMO. If you can squeeze in any 3 of them you done good.

-Alladin (HIGHLY recommended since never done)
-Soundsational Parade (Also highly recommended)
-World of Color (same)
-Fantasmic (Probably the only one you've done and at DHS, so would skip if between this and WOC)
-Mickey Magical Map (Fun show, very new, but not as great as hoped)
-Magical Fireworks (Its good, but not my favorite one)
-Pixar Parade (A fun parade but not as good as Soundsationals IMO)

And TONS of smaller entertainment too obviously, especially at DCA. You'll be amazed.

But you're a vet you will know the drill lol. Have fun!

Thank you all so much! Disboarders are the best. You've made me feel confident about getting a lot done in one day--sounds like it will be worth it.

For some reason I thought Aladdin had stopped playing. Super glad to hear it's still showing; that will definitely go on the must-do list.

Also glad to see a number of SR lines.

Again, thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter