One day...Disneyland park or California adventure?!

irishelysia

Earning My Ears
Hey guys--long time since I have been on here! I am planning a trip to SoCal and obviously have to do a day at Disney. DBF is NOT excited so there is no way I can get him there for more than a day, lol. So I want to know what everyone thinks...should I spend my day at disneyland park or at California Adventure? It seems like theres a lot more to do at Disneyland park, but it seems some of it is repeats from WDW in Florida, which is much closer and I'm more likely to go back there than California, some 2000 miles away from me;) I considered the park hopper, but I also have to consider my significant other does have a lot issues with walking/joint pain due to a connective tissue condition so I have to plop him up on a bench frequently to chill. So I felt that the park hopper would be just way too much, not to mention it would be $300 for the both of us for a day. yeesh.

So what do you guys think? It seems just wrong to miss out on seeing the Disneyland Castle, fireworks, and classic attractions since it's not likely I'll ever be back to California in my life, but it also seems like California Adventure has more "adult themed" rides but I'm just not sure if its enough to fill a whole day? California Screamin' and the "carnival" type rides all make me sick, so I'm better with the fun themed boat rides, Soarin' over California, Pirates of the Caribbean, Big Thunder Mountain, water rides that kinda thing.
My favorite parks in Walt Disney World are Epcot & Magic Kingdom, if that helps anyone know what might be best for me :)

Thanks for your opinions :)

I would do Disneyland over DCA. While I love both, DL is where all the park magic began. There are rides there you can't see at WDW that need to be experienced. Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad, Matterhorn and even the "kiddie rides". Casey's circus train is fun and the Story Land Canal Boats at night are beautiful. The train ride around the park is different, too. I like DL's Space Mountain and Pirates better than Magic Kingdom's versions.
Also, Adventureland has Bengal BBQ which has MEAT ON A STICK! Possibly the most awesome quick serve meal EVER! OH.. Cafe Orleans has THE BEST MONTE CRISTO SANDWICHES IN THE WORLD!!! (Yes, you can get them at lunch in the Bayou restaurant, but they're less expensive at the Cafe)

Btw, I'm right there with you re: the carnival type rides at DCA. it's a big turn off for me and we don't like most of them. So for us, DCA is a half day park.

Hmm, tough one! DCA is definitely more "adult themed". The major highlight is Carsland, not available at all in WDW. I don't think that there is enough to keep you occupied ride wise the entire day taking out Paradise Pier but there are some lovely dining options. If you drink there are a few "wine terrace" style options to enjoy a glass of wine. Carthay Lounge makes amazing drinks in a 1930s "golden era" setting. Quick access to Napa Rose at GCH if your DBF is a foodie.

DL would give you plenty to keep you busy ride wise all day. There is much less in the way of "adult theming". Really the only adult break from the park is the Blue Bayou restraunt- which isn't available in WDW btw.

I would say Disneyland. If you aren't doing any of the rides on the pier then that really doesn't leave a lot to do. The only thing DCA has that WDW doesn't is California Screamin' and Carsland. Carsland is a lot of fun, but I wouldn't spend a whole day at DCA because of it. DCA is only a half day park for us, but we can make a whole day at DL! Also, with the new fireworks and parade at DL that will be even better!

I agree with the PPs, DL all the way! If you're craving some adult fun, take the monorail to DTD where it will drop you close to the Disneyland Hotel and go to Trader Sam's for dinner/cocktails. Even if you can't sit inside (it's very small), grab a seat on the terrace and enjoy the live music and relaxed vibe. When you're done, hop back on the monorail and close down the park!

If California Screamin' will make you sick I would say skip DCA....Carsland is fun, TSM is great....but for only one day and with no hopper option I would say hit Disneyland....as others have said that is the original. Soarin' is cool but I wouldn't miss DL for it.

DISNEYLAND... hands down. There is a reason it's 60 years old and I have been going there for nearly 50 years, no lie.

I love DCA and it has improved in the past ten years but DL is still my favorite and if you are only doing ONE day...DL. DCA is great park but it's not quite on the same level as the original. DCA is cleaner and better than most any other theme park I have been to.

I usually can't fill a whole day at DCA, and that's even me being willing to go on all the rides. I would choose Disneyland, no question.

However, if you want to take a peek at the inside of DCA, you can always take a ride on the monorail (it is more of a ride/attraction at DLR rather than actual transportation). It goes in a short loop from Tomorrowland through DCA, Downtown Disney, then back to Tomorrowland.

In our case... we started in Disneyland in the morning, went to California adventure in the afternoon and returned to Disneyland in the evening for the fireworks. The parks are side by side!

In our case... we started in Disneyland in the morning, went to California adventure in the afternoon and returned to Disneyland in the evening for the fireworks. The parks are side by side!

This is what I have done in the past with Park Hoppers!

my significant other does have a lot issues with walking/joint pain due to a connective tissue condition

If I'm not overstepping, they also have wheelchairs available for rental - it may up his enjoyment of the parks not to worry about walking everywhere. https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/wheelchair-rental/

I'm not sure what the current policy is for disability line jumps (I haven't kept up with the recent changes) but I have a Thyroid condition and can't stand for overly long periods of time. I considered asking for it years ago when I first started going, but I've never had a problem (as I go during the slow times) so I've never ended up trying for it.

Yikes! Big decision! Whether we are Disneyland for 1 day or multiple days we always park hop. The parks are very conveniently close together which makes it incredibly easy to walk from one to the other. Here's some food for thought... The magic kingdom is about the same size as Disneyland and California Adventure combined so distance wise your DBF shouldn't in theory walking anymore then he would at MK.

We usually start out in DCA because we usually want to get on RSR first then get a fastpass (often try to time it so the fastpass return is evening, great ride after dark/dusk). My son and I don't do the California Screaming or other 'adult' themed rides but there is a lot to do and many sights worth seeing there. I think the vibe is incredible and Cars Land really is a sight and experience that shouldn't be missed. I'd really really re-consider doing the park hopper if at all possible! Don't kill yourself and only pick a few things in each park you're sure you want to do. Fill in the 'extra' time with other events, shows or attractions. Take breaks through the day to pace yourself.

If you don't know when you'll be back or if you'll ever be back you won't regret spending the money to see both parks. I think you'll be very happy at the end of the day if you splurge for the park hopper.

Good luck with your decision and have a magical trip!!

Wow you guys have made so many great points. Especially about California adventure having a lot of dupes to wdw. And it's also very interesting to know that DL and CA are the same size as MK. And I LOVE the suggestion of taking a break at DTD in the evening. I've heard a lot of people talk about the blue bayou, so I need to look into that.

I would say Disneyland it is. I will still consider the park hopper, depending on what else we do.

Do you guys recommend a day of the week to go ? I was thinking Tuesday or Wednesday would be a slower day.

Thanks EVERYONE for such awesome suggestions !

Last edited:
If I had to choose just 1, it would be DL. Don't get me wrong, DCA is amazing, Carsland is spectacular, but DL has more magic for us. Plus, it's easier for us to find spots to stop and chill (I have some back pain issues).

The parks can be unpredictable so you never know. I find the closer you get to the middle of the week (wed) the less crowded it is. Either Tue or Wed would be a great pick.

I'm not sure what time of the year you are going, because I think pretty much every day in the summer is busy. Yes, mid week is usually a great time to go. I would say Tuesdays are better than most.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter