One day, both parks...which one to start? And other touring q's

tstottle

Mouseketeer
Hi! We are doing a whirlwind one-day, both-park day soon. We will have early entry to both parks and will be using it, along with Unlimited Express Pass. We have never seen the new HP section; we've seen the Wizarding World and love it.

Do you experts have recommendations on where to start our day? I know that early mornings are the best...do we try to get both HP areas done in the morning? Is that worth taking the time to switch parks, and switch again later? Or if we do one and then try to get the other in the morning, will we just hit the other when everyone else is there and should just wait until evening...I know on previous summer visits, the HP areas really seemed to calm down after dinner. Is that still the case?

And if anyone knows of a one day two park touring plan, I'll take a look! We like the big rides, have teenagers, and aren't into shows that much. But we love the HP areas too.

Thank you!

Since both parks are open for early admission, it is really a toss up as to which one to do first. Personally, I would choose Universal and jump right on Gringott's. Forbidden Journey is a higher capacity ride, so I'd wait to do it later in the day.

I'm a teenager/Florida native and I purchased an Annual Power Pass in April. I've used it for about 5 day trips since then.

If I were you I would use the early admission in Diagon Alley, but I would take the Hogwarts Express to Islands once I was done there. I've taken the train twice in one day a couple of times and I didn't think it was annoying to switch parks or that it took too long (with no Express Pass). I'd think you wouldn't have a long wait (for anything, really!) with the Express Pass. (They're seriously the best!) Islands has more thrill rides than Universal, so I think you'll want to spend a lot of your day there. I tend to spend more time at Islands when I go! In addition, Universal has more shows, and in general more places to rest and relax your feet IMO, and you'll probably be more tired towards the end of the day!

Last edited:
I am thinking of trying both parks with Express pass in one day as well. The dates we are in Orlando are 12/18 to 12/28. So any suggestions and advice is appreciated.

I would head to gringotts first thing. You can then re-ride and check out some shops and such before heading over to hogsmeade via the express. Since you will have the express pass everything else can be done in any order that you fancy.

I would also plan to spend some afternoon or evening time back in the alley for shows and more shopping.

I am thinking of trying both parks with Express pass in one day as well. The dates we are in Orlando are 12/18 to 12/28. So any suggestions and advice is appreciated.

During that time, doing both parks in 1 day will be a challenge even with express. If you could squeeze in even an extra 1/2 day it would be useful. You didn't mention if you were planning on buying express or staying onsite where you'll also get early entry. I agree with the previous poster you can hit most of the rides whenever you want but that time of year there could still be a wait. The rides without Express are Gringotts, Forbidden Journey, Hogwarts Express, and Pteranodon Flyers. Despicable Me can get backed up even in the Express Line.

Orlando Informer and Touring Plans both have 1 day/2 park touring plans that you could use to start making a plan.

Hi! We are doing a whirlwind one-day, both-park day soon. We will have early entry to both parks and will be using it, along with Unlimited Express Pass. We have never seen the new HP section; we've seen the Wizarding World and love it.

Do you experts have recommendations on where to start our day? I know that early mornings are the best...do we try to get both HP areas done in the morning? Is that worth taking the time to switch parks, and switch again later? Or if we do one and then try to get the other in the morning, will we just hit the other when everyone else is there and should just wait until evening...I know on previous summer visits, the HP areas really seemed to calm down after dinner. Is that still the case?

And if anyone knows of a one day two park touring plan, I'll take a look! We like the big rides, have teenagers, and aren't into shows that much. But we love the HP areas too.

Thank you!
if you have been to pottsland and road FJ in the past, start with the studios pottsland
take the HE / train to the other park once you have explored all you are interested in this section of the park.

hit the highlights and rides at IOA.

return to the studios for the rides outside of pottsland.
DE, transformers, RRR, simpsons, etc.

if you plan to hit the water rides, do those last.

We did both parks in one day in March during Spring Break and I wrote a post about it here. I recommend visiting Islands of Adventure first, then Universal because Hogsmeade has little shade around noon when it's super hot. Then again, our day was focused solely on the two HP theme parks, we didn't visit any other areas except the Seussland because we have a toddler.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter