One day at the beach, but which one?

justjeepin

Earning My Ears
The last week of September, my family and I are flying to California. My family consists of myself, my wife and 3 boys ages 5, 7, and 10. It is our first time in California and was planning on spending a day at the beach. Is there one must see beach? I was leaning toward Santa Monica because of the pier and Pacific Park. Would that be a good choice or is there a better beach to visit for the day?

I forgot... we may only send the morning at the beach, then drive down the coast for Legoland. Wish we had more than 3 days at Disneyland.

I forgot... we may only send the morning at the beach, then drive down the coast for Legoland. Wish we had more than 3 days at Disneyland.

If you're going to go down to Legoland, I'd suggest going to an Orange County beach, like Huntington or Newport beach. Santa Monica is a good ways north of Disneyland, and then you have to drive south to get to Legoland.

If you throw out the Legoland trip, Santa Monica is a good choice (the Third Street Promenade is right there is well, which is a shopping area). It will be pretty crowded, but it's a great touristy thing to do. But trying to do Santa Monica and Legoland in the same day will have too much unnecessary driving.

I have also heard awesome things about Newport Beach and Balboa Island that is one that I have on my list!!

We love Huntington. It's only about 20-30 min from DL and I've been going there since I was a kid. This time of year it's easy to find $1.50/hour parking meters on PCH (park on the beach side), or you can pay $15 (!) to use the State parking lots. Restrooms, showers, rentals, snack shack - all right there. Firepits too. Waves are fun and not crazy or big undertow usually.

If you're going to go down to Legoland, I'd suggest going to an Orange County beach, like Huntington or Newport beach. Santa Monica is a good ways north of Disneyland, and then you have to drive south to get to Legoland.

If you throw out the Legoland trip, Santa Monica is a good choice (the Third Street Promenade is right there is well, which is a shopping area). It will be pretty crowded, but it's a great touristy thing to do. But trying to do Santa Monica and Legoland in the same day will have too much unnecessary driving.

We're just driving down the same day as the beach. We're going to Legoland the next day. maybe when we leave our hotel near Disneyland we'll just drive down the coast and stop at a few places. I've heard the water can be pretty cold compare to the Atlantic (which we're used to). Of course my boys were in 60-70 degree water, one year in the Outer Banks, NC.

Balboa has a nice "little beach town" atmosphere, Huntington is know for "Surf City," both have nice piers to walk out on. Balboa also has a little area with some small carnival rides and a Ferris wheel (no idea about end-of-September hours). You can also take a ferry for a couple bucks over to Balboa Island and gawk at the beautiful houses.

Or if you want to stop farther south on your way to San Diego, there is Laguna Beach and tidepools.

In any case, unless Santa Monica has a specific appeal, it's a long way out of your way if you're heading south.

PHXscuba

We're just driving down the same day as the beach. We're going to Legoland the next day. maybe when we leave our hotel near Disneyland we'll just drive down the coast and stop at a few places. I've heard the water can be pretty cold compare to the Atlantic (which we're used to). Of course my boys were in 60-70 degree water, one year in the Outer Banks, NC.

I grew up on the coast of North Carolina and I can tell you without any doubt, the water is freezing cold here even in the hottest point in the summer compared to the water temps in the southeastern part of the US. Its pretty to look at but not so great to play in.

We just spent 4 nights in Huntington prior to our 4 nights here at DLH. I honestly didn't want to leave Huntington. Beautiful beach, lots of amenities, super nice people.
But yes. The water is cold compared to the east coast.

You could start in Huntington and drive down the pch and stop where it looks nice. From Huntington you'd have Newport Beach, Crystal Cove state park, Laguna Beach, and Dana Point. Each beach is unique.

Yes the water is cold (65 last weekend) but surprisingly you get used to it quickly. Especially how hot the sun is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter