One day at Magic Kingdom...need guidance!

athurston629

Earning My Ears
We are making an impromptu Disney trip next Friday. We will arrive Thursday night at Art of Animation and get an early start at Magic Kingdom on Friday morning. Since we only have one day in the park, I would like to make the most of it. Please let me know the things we should definitely do, and what we could skip. Tips and tricks appreciated! We have a 1.5 year old boy, and a 3 year old girl. They both do not mind being worn in a carrier, but wondering if we should get a stroller too. Unsure if they will nap in the park, or if we'll have to go back to the resort for a siesta. Thanks for any input!

Edited to add: What about meals? Should I book something now? Or just expect to eat on the run. I'm mainly concerned about dinner.

Last edited:
I'd focus on Fantasyland. FastPass Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan for sure. Then maybe Dumbo too or Enchanted Tales with Belle if your daughter is into that. Small World, Carousel, Tea Party are all hits for that age. In other lands you'll want to hit Jungle Cruise, Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Pirates of the Carribean. My kids both loved the Tiki Room and Country Bear Jamboree at that age.

We like eating at Cosmic Ray's: there's an animatronic alien that sings. It's in Tomorrowland. Or try for a last minute ADR to Be Our Guest which is gorgeous inside!

Oh and I always think a stroller is good for storage. Worst case you just park it and come back.

I'd focus on Fantasyland. FastPass Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan for sure. Then maybe Dumbo too or Enchanted Tales with Belle if your daughter is into that. Small World, Carousel, Tea Party are all hits for that age. In other lands you'll want to hit Jungle Cruise, Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Pirates of the Carribean. My kids both loved the Tiki Room and Country Bear Jamboree at that age.

We like eating at Cosmic Ray's: there's an animatronic alien that sings. It's in Tomorrowland. Or try for a last minute ADR to Be Our Guest which is gorgeous inside!

Oh and I always think a stroller is good for storage. Worst case you just park it and come back.
Perfect! Thanks! When hubby gets home tomorrow we will be getting our tickets and then figuring out fast passes.

BRING A DOUBLE JOGGING STROLLER (or rent one). They will both need it. Here is my opinion on what to do and what to skip, I will put the things to do in order of priority from best to worst for that age (imo). I will put the ones they can't ride due to height in the skip category.

Skip:
Goofy Barnstormer (height)
Seven Dwarves mine train (height)
Space Mountain (height)
Splash Mountain (height)
Big Thunder Mountain (height)
Stitches great escape (sucks)
Tomorrowland speedway (not that much fun for such small kids)

Do:
Small World
Peter Pan
Little Mermaid ride
Winnie the pooh ride
Prince Charmings carousel
Dumbo
Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Tea Cups
The parade
Mickeys Philharmagic (although they won't likely wear the 3d glasses)
People Mover/Tomorrowland Transit Authority
Enchanted tales with Belle
Various other princess meet and greets
Jungle Cruise
Enchanted Tiki Room
Country Bears Jamboree
Buzz Light year space ranger spin (hard to ride with a 1 year old on your lap)
Pirates of the Caribbean (has a drop on it that can be scary)
Monsters inc laugh floor
Carousel of progress
Other character meet and greets (the non-face characters tend to scare the little ones)

Thats all that comes to my mind, sorry if I missed anything

If you have to go back to your room in order to nap that is going to kill a good portion of the day. If they can nap in the stroller that would be far better. There is a nice shady nook to sit in with the stroller by the exit to Stitches great escape in tomorrowland. Its nice to take turns doing buzz lightyear and space mountain while they are sleeping since they are right there and Buzz is much easier to ride without a kid on your lap.

My kids are 3 and 5 year old girls and we have been about 15 times since my oldest was 5 months old so I have a lot of experience with kids of this age at the parks and those would be my suggestions

BRING A DOUBLE JOGGING STROLLER (or rent one). They will both need it. Here is my opinion on what to do and what to skip, I will put the things to do in order of priority from best to worst for that age (imo). I will put the ones they can't ride due to height in the skip category.

Skip:
Goofy Barnstormer (height)
Seven Dwarves mine train (height)
Space Mountain (height)
Splash Mountain (height)
Big Thunder Mountain (height)
Stitches great escape (sucks)
Tomorrowland speedway (not that much fun for such small kids)

Do:
Small World
Peter Pan
Little Mermaid ride
Winnie the pooh ride
Prince Charmings carousel
Dumbo
Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Tea Cups
The parade
Mickeys Philharmagic (although they won't likely wear the 3d glasses)
People Mover/Tomorrowland Transit Authority
Enchanted tales with Belle
Various other princess meet and greets
Jungle Cruise
Enchanted Tiki Room
Country Bears Jamboree
Buzz Light year space ranger spin (hard to ride with a 1 year old on your lap)
Pirates of the Caribbean (has a drop on it that can be scary)
Monsters inc laugh floor
Carousel of progress
Other character meet and greets (the non-face characters tend to scare the little ones)

Thats all that comes to my mind, sorry if I missed anything

If you have to go back to your room in order to nap that is going to kill a good portion of the day. If they can nap in the stroller that would be far better. There is a nice shady nook to sit in with the stroller by the exit to Stitches great escape in tomorrowland. Its nice to take turns doing buzz lightyear and space mountain while they are sleeping since they are right there and Buzz is much easier to ride without a kid on your lap.

My kids are 3 and 5 year old girls and we have been about 15 times since my oldest was 5 months old so I have a lot of experience with kids of this age at the parks and those would be my suggestions
This is exactly what I was looking for! I have a Graco double stroller, but I'm thinking it might be better to rent one at the park considering we are going to be taking the bus to and from the park. The stroller doesn't really fold up nicely.

Yes, it stinks folding up the stroller to get on and off the bus. However, your stroller is much nicer than those plastic monsters in the park. I think your kids would appreciate the comfort of a real stroller.

Although it takes more time than a quick service meal, MK has great table service options for little ones. Be Our Guest (last minute reservations are usually available), Crystal Palace (Pooh and Friends), and Cinderella's Round Table are great character meals. I think your 3 year old would be in heaven. Breakfast and lunch are less expensive than dinner (but the same experience).

I hope you have a great time!

Yes, it stinks folding up the stroller to get on and off the bus. However, your stroller is much nicer than those plastic monsters in the park. I think your kids would appreciate the comfort of a real stroller.

Although it takes more time than a quick service meal, MK has great table service options for little ones. Be Our Guest (last minute reservations are usually available), Crystal Palace (Pooh and Friends), and Cinderella's Round Table are great character meals. I think your 3 year old would be in heaven. Breakfast and lunch are less expensive than dinner (but the same experience).

I hope you have a great time!
Thank you!!!

This is exactly what I was looking for! I have a Graco double stroller, but I'm thinking it might be better to rent one at the park considering we are going to be taking the bus to and from the park. The stroller doesn't really fold up nicely.

I have an enormous double stroller, it doesn't fold up well either, I can't remember the name of it but it was from Walmart and the model is called a safari. Anyway it fits on the bus alright and if you have trouble ask the driver if you can bring it in through the back door and just stand with it on the ECV ramp while the bus is driving

Our double umbrella type stroller was perfect in the parks. has an adjustable sunshade and the backs can recline. "Jeep" was the brand, but anyone would do. Strollers were life savers at that age.

I recommend a stroller as well. I found the carriers to be a pain when we went with our 4 month old. The constant in and out of the carrier to get on rides.

another drawback to the park rented strollers is you turn it in leaving the park...and now have kids to carry across parking lots, to transportation, and back to hotel rooms, and some of the resorts have quite a walk from transportation to your room...

While I would normally recommend a midday break, I wouldn't if you just have the one day. Definitely hit rope drop so you can get several attractions done with little to no waits. Then as it gets busier, maybe try a late breakfast or early lunch (QS, or TS if you can get). Agree with letting them sleep in the stroller in a shaded area while you and DH take turns on "adult" rides. If it gets hot (you never know with FL weather, right?) hit some of the indoor shows and attractions during that time of the day or if it isn't too bad, try for the afternoon parade (though you could probably ride a few things with less waits during it if you prefer). Then another break for an earlier dinner (another QS, or a TS if you did QS before). If the kids are still going strong in the evening but you've ridden what you want, you could do the Main Street Electrical Parade or Wishes...or again, ride with less waits during those things.

While I would normally recommend a midday break, I wouldn't if you just have the one day. Definitely hit rope drop so you can get several attractions done with little to no waits. Then as it gets busier, maybe try a late breakfast or early lunch (QS, or TS if you can get). Agree with letting them sleep in the stroller in a shaded area while you and DH take turns on "adult" rides. If it gets hot (you never know with FL weather, right?) hit some of the indoor shows and attractions during that time of the day or if it isn't too bad, try for the afternoon parade (though you could probably ride a few things with less waits during it if you prefer). Then another break for an earlier dinner (another QS, or a TS if you did QS before). If the kids are still going strong in the evening but you've ridden what you want, you could do the Main Street Electrical Parade or Wishes...or again, ride with less waits during those things.
Is there anything you recommend to do first and early before it gets busy?

I second a lot of sound advice here. Double stroller, all day @ the park, focusing on the characters or themes they like best. Can't go wrong with that.

Really I think its up to you, as far as the attractions. Do you want to go Fantasyland heavy for your children? Then head straight there. That's probably the best idea. You could FP the adult rides for when you think the kids will rest/nap. Then later do the parades and fireworks or choose to ride some of the other rides in the other lands or re-ride some of your kids favorites from Fantasyland. Or check whatever is available for same day FP (after you use the initial 3) and let that be your guide.

Good luck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter