One day at Epcot, what would you do?

Mamarilu

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! I will be going on a Disney cruise and I have spared enough money to make a one-day trip to Disney World Epcot! It's my first time at Disney World actually. As a 24 year old going with my significant other, what would you recommend for a first timer? I'm a passholder at Disneyland so I don't mind skipping Soarin' (or any other similar attractions) since we have that back in California. Thank you! :)

First trip...I'd do MK or AK over EP myself.

That said, being over 21, World Showcase has a lot for you.

Soarin' isn't worth doing as you indicated as it's an exact clone of the one at DCA (aside from the queue).

There just aren't a lot of attractions to list. But, there is a lot to see.

I'd certainly grab a margarita or two from La Cava and try out the chips and guac in Mexico.
There's lots of great restaurants to try there. My favorites are Beirgarten, Le Cellier (get some Poutine!), and anything from the Kringla Bakery (Norway).

There are no rides in World Showcase. The only ride (Maelstrom) has been closed for a Frozen makeover, and won't open again for another year, give or take.

Illuminations (the nighttime show) is very unique, and worth seeing. You could look into doing a dessert party for it with reserved seating, or just snag a spot about 45 minutes before the show (you know the drill, it's that same as DLR in that respect).

Play the Phineus and Ferb minigame in World Showcase. It's a blast.

That's all I can think of at the moment!

Last edited:
They still have the boat ride El Rio del Tiempo in the Mexico pavilion in World Showcase.

Also watch the Voices of Liberty and the American Adventure show in World Showcase.

In Future World there are Spaceship Earth and Living with the Land rides.

Lots of restaurant choices! Coral Reef and Garden Grill have unique scenery.

They still have the boat ride El Rio del Tiempo in the Mexico pavilion in World Showcase.

Also watch the Voices of Liberty and the American Adventure show in World Showcase.

In Future World there are Spaceship Earth and Living with the Land rides.

Lots of restaurant choices! Coral Reef and Garden Grill have unique scenery.
Ah, yeah, I forgot that ride...because it is forgettable. It's like Donald Duck's version of Small World! <grin>

I'm curious why you choose epcot for a 1 day only trip?

Well, I didn't really get to chose, my boyfriend did haha. But according to our friends, they say that Magic Kingdom is a bigger version of Disneyland. And although there are more attractions in MK (compared to Disneyland), they say it's pretty similar to a certain point. So I guess what I'm trying to say is we want to see something we won't be able to see back here in California haha.

Last edited:
I've heard that Epcot doesn't have as many rides (which i'm okay with), but I've heard a lot to see! Thanks everyone! :)

Well, I didn't really get to chose, my boyfriend did haha. But according to out friends, they say that Magic Kingdom is a bigger version of Disneyland in California. And although there are more attractions in MK (compared to Disneyland), they say it's pretty similar to a certain point. So I guess what I'm trying to say is we want to see something we won't be able to see back here in California haha.

This is actually a difficult thread. What would you suggestion to someone that knows WDL who only has 1 day at WDW. Interesting challenge. Epcot is very different from WDL, So is Animal Kingdom. To a degree what you know as WDL little bits of hollywood studios and magic kingdom combined in 1 park but as you mentioned it, much smaller and less. If your disney fanatics, MK might be better but again this is an interesting situation to suggest something. I will mention though, my daughter has never liked epcot. Even last year (she was 19 at the time), hated epcot. It's a very love it or hate it park but knowing what your getting and picking it for good reasons I can see you enjoying the day.

Well, I didn't really get to chose, my boyfriend did haha. But according to our friends, they say that Magic Kingdom is a bigger version of Disneyland. And although there are more attractions in MK (compared to Disneyland), they say it's pretty similar to a certain point. So I guess what I'm trying to say is we want to see something we won't be able to see back here in California haha.
Just a general comment...Disneyland has more rides/attractions than MK.

51 at Disneyland (not including DCA).
41 at Magic Kingdom.

In fact, the entire DLR nearly has as many rides as the whole (all 4 parks) of WDW, really interesting when you consider that the whole of DLR without DTD (meaning, Disneyland and DCA only) could fit within the footprint of Epcot alone.

86 at DLR
112 at WDW

They are two different parks...so if you are into Disney, comparing and contrasting the two experiences is interesting. But, yeah, Epcot is like nothing you have in Southern California (and really unlike any place else on earth).

Epcot isn't a thrill park by any means (though they've tried to add it). It's worth checking out, but you'll spend most of the day just walking around and looking at the surroundings.

41 at Magic Kingdom.

In fact, the entire DLR nearly has as many rides as the whole (all 4 parks) of WDW, really interesting when you consider that the whole of DLR without DTD (meaning, Disneyland and DCA only) could fit within the footprint of Epcot alone.

86 at DLR
112 at WDW

They are two different parks...so if you are into Disney, comparing and contrasting the two experiences is interesting. But, yeah, Epcot is like nothing you have in Southern California (and really unlike any place else on earth).

Epcot isn't a thrill park by any means (though they've tried to add it). It's worth checking out, but you'll spend most of the day just walking around and looking at the surroundings.

41 at Magic Kingdom.

86 at DLR
112 at WDW

Wow what a great fact, I didn't know that! But yes. I'm not looking so much for the thrill of rides, but more sight seeing and uniqueness. I've noticed Epcot is very hit or miss... So I'm hoping I'll enjoy it

I would just go and enjoy some food and drinks in every country :) There is different entertainment in each country.

however, someone suggested the margaritas and chips and guac in mexico.... I can't tell you the name of the restaurant we ate at... but I believe it's the only QS restaurant in Mexico (outside ordering) and I had a mango margarita and the chips and guac and it was seriously the worse meal ever. The margarita was terrible and made my stomach sour the rest of the day so I couldn't enjoy any other food or drinks. I gave a majority of the margarita to my mom and she's a big fan of alcohol and she even said it was pretty bad, but she managed to finish it. i tried to drink as much as I could since it was like $9. The guac was ok but I've been eating a lot of guac recently so I was really disappointed in it and the chips were WAAYYYYYYY too salty (and I like salt).

We love Epcot! Definitely spend time in World Showcase. Lots of good food and drinks there! Plus just the different countries.
We do love Test Track, so if you can get a fastpass for that, I would.
Listen to the different music in each country.
We spend the majority of our trips in Epcot just wandering the countries and drinking around the world (over a few days)

check the guides at the park entrance to see any scheduled events (concerts, mini-tours, shows - concerts are usually listed on website in advance). try to eat at tangerine café (morocco CS), walk through each and every country & talk with CMs from the countries, take a ferry across the water, watch the amazing wood carving in Africa, stroll over to the BW (back entrance to EPCOT)

First you will need to know that Epcot is divided into 2 parts - the first part is future world: ride Spaceship Earth for a simple classic attraction. check out the Art of Disney Store in Epcot - I like looking in there. Ride Test Track for something different.

Also check out the Land Building if you are interested in the Living with the Land ride. If not check out the Seas Building. I enjoy looking for the turtles in the aquarium. They seem to love people and hanging out near the windows.

At 11am World Showcase opens - look at the times guide for time of the shows - I also like to stop in France and have a grand marnier slush at the kiosk.
Just wander World Showcase trying different foods and watching the shows. I also enjoy the shops. In Japan I usually buy a fan and have my name put on it in Japanese. I have a collection of those now.

Enjoy!

I personally love Epcot though I know many don't. It can be a slower paced day. One of things that I like is just taking time to explore the countries in world showcase, and trying out the restaurants and counter services in the World Showcase. I love the small details, from things like the fountains and architecture. Another I like is just to relax in the gardens as I walk through the countries. Some of the shops are a lot of fun as well, especially Japan and China. Rides - I always do spaceship earth, living seas, test track, mission space (light version). Depending on whether I need a nap or not, I might go on universe of energy.

I do love AK though and can spend all day there even though some people say it's a 1/2 day park. Of course, I walk the trails and spend time just looking around.

I like the feel of Epcot, just the little things like the light up path stones idk it is just one of those things as a kid I remember walking on, and it still makes me smile. Epcot is a lot of walking with little in the way of rides, if you are there to eat and drink and explore bits of other cultures then you will have a great time. I think nothing beats the magic and splendor of Magic Kingdom and if I only had one day I would spend it there, but hey to each their own.

One more thing abt EPCOT - if the line for test track is too long or if you want to ride a second time, hop in the single rider line. You'll probably get separated from your SO but you'll get to ride it and it is a fun ride to go on.

You've gotten a lot of good suggestions - I just wanted to add that you're smart to pick Epcot for just one day, since you're so familiar with Disneyland. I loved visiting Disneyland, but there are a ton of similarities between Disneyland/California Adventure and Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. Aside from Soarin' - Epcot is a completely different experience. Have fun!

As for the rides I would definitely try Test Track in Future World. Another thing is getting a Dinner Reservation at a Restaurant in World Showcase. I think you would like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter