• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

One 17 Year Old and One 18 Year Old - Problems?

antmaril

DIS Veteran
We are thinking of taking my 18 year old son and his 17 year old girlfriend with us on a 4 day cruise for their "senior trip". She will be two months shy of her 18th birthday when we go. Do you think they will have a good time on this cruise? Obviously, he can't go into the teen club and she can't go anywhere that is "adults only". Will that be a problem? I see them hanging out by the pool, enjoying Castaway Cay, etc.

Any thoughts on our plan?

Thanks!

I think they will really enjoy themselves. Especially just the time to hang out and have fun. As for the 17 year old. They are not going to kick her out of any of the Adult palces if she doesn't act out (which I would think she wouldn't). They don't ID at any of those place unless you are drinking so I would not see a problem with her hanging out with him in the adult locations as long as she acts properly. I personally am 29 years old but I look like I am 12 (ok maybe not 12 but I do look under 18) and I have never had a problem, they never ask for ID or anything. Just go and enjoy :)

Thanks for your reply. She is a very nice girl (very shy) and she would definitely behave properly. It would be nice if we could all sit by the adult pool.

I think they will have fun. I would have loved to cruise with my boyfriend (now husband of 30 years) when we were their age. We went to Cedar Point for the day and thought that was a big deal!!!

Thanks again.

Hubby just reminded me when we sailed for our honeymoon (kind of) we had 14 people with us (it was more like the wedding reception vs a honeymoon) we had my mom and grandma, my sister and her husband, Hubbies parents and sister and our wedding party. Everyone was over 18 except his sister who at the time was 16. We had no problem with his sister. She is very tall and well behaved. She was able to hang out with us whenever she wanted to and we even were able to eat as a family at Palo. (We did let them know at Palo that she was 16...not 18 and they still allowed her in). Just go and have a good time. :)

I also wanted to add that it is very nice of you to allow your sons girlfriend to go along. :)

I brought my significant other's brother with us on a Disney Cruise, he was 16. He did not like it to much. We brought him to the adult beach and he used the adult pool section also. No one bothered us. He didn't want to do things on his own. Now this is the same brother that we took on RCCL megaship and we could never find him. He couldn't wait to get out the door in the morning.

You need to see if they would like a Disney Cruise. Sometimes at that age its not for them. You know the parent thing. :)
They will enjoy Castaway Cay and the adult pool section. It really depends on how well they like Disney.

Joe

Originally posted by antmaril
Thanks for your reply. She is a very nice girl (very shy) and she would definitely behave properly. It would be nice if we could all sit by the adult pool.

I think they will have fun. I would have loved to cruise with my boyfriend (now husband of 30 years) when we were their age. We went to Cedar Point for the day and thought that was a big deal!!!

Thanks again.

Lets just say I MISS CEDAR POINT!!!!!!!!!!! I need to get back there someday :)

Bosjoe:

I think since they have each other, they will be fine. That is one reason why we are taking her with us. Just the three of us wouldn't be much fun (I miss when he was a little boy -- we did the Big Red Boat when he was four years old and it is still the best vacation I've ever had!!)

They are both big Disney fans. Actually, I took her to WDW this year and it was her first time -- (she had never been on a plane!!) She has not traveled at all - this cruise will be BIG for her. Our son has traveled a lot, but he likes showing it all to her -makes it more fun for him.

Thanks for your replies!

Antmaril,
we took our 17 year old twins on the Magic in June to celebrate their graduation. Their 18th birthday was the end of July.
There was no problem taking them anywhere on the ship where adults were. They are very mature and did not act like giddy teenagers at all. They were not in the bars during adult hours, but they did visit the adult pool.
They both checked in at the Stack, but my son practically lived in the gym at the Spa whenever he wanted to.:)
They never got approached by any CM on their age. Maybe because they was never any reason to question them or no one could tell their age.

We all had a wonderful time.

Hey Bosjoe - me too Oh I loved cedar point when I was a kid went every summer - I grew up about an hour from Detroit on the Canadian side and we used to get up at 4am and drive to Sandusky for the day (boy was my dad nuts) ride all day until it closed and drove home again. I am not that crazy - I would have to stay overnight somewhere.

18 year olds are allowed to go to the teen club if they want to (it's a question of whether they want to or not)..

on our most recent cruise (last month), my son, who's 17, said there were a few 18 year olds who came to the club the entire cruise and had a great time....

Evidently, it's hit and miss. On the 7/3, my 18yo daughter's 17YO friend was carded after about 15 minutes at the adult pool, and she doesn't even drink. She was asked to leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter