• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Once again it pays to double check rental car prices...

Angela72181

Mouseketeer
Always nice to double check rental car prices and see that you're rental car went DOWN $70. Once again I lucked out checking Costco's website and saw that Enterprise went down, booked that sucker, and canceled the first reservation. Now if only the prices of rental cars at the Airport would do that...That's ok we're now saving over $200 taking a shuttle to the hotel and then getting a rental car .5 miles away from there that will pick us up / drop us back off at the hotel.

There's an extra $70 for a nice meal somewhere :)

Always nice to double check rental car prices and see that you're rental car went DOWN $70. Once again I lucked out checking Costco's website and saw that Enterprise went down, booked that sucker, and canceled the first reservation. Now if only the prices of rental cars at the Airport would do that...That's ok we're now saving over $200 taking a shuttle to the hotel and then getting a rental car .5 miles away from there that will pick us up / drop us back off at the hotel.

There's an extra $70 for a nice meal somewhere :)

This is true!
It seems rental costs go down about 10 to 14 days before your first rental date. Ours went down from $245 to $108 (Florida, but not WDW) when I checked 10 days or so before we left. :dance3:

I always book early so I know what my max cost will be and then check prices a couple times a week from that point until the trip arrives. We are going to Oahu (Aulani!) late June/early July. When I first booked the rental car it was around $350 for 9 days; in March I re-booked at $240; in early April I checked and now have reservations at 2 different rental agencies for $126/$133 (those rates have since gone back up to the $240 range).

I'm thrilled that I have a car in Hawaii for 9 days for around $130 total!

Our airport rental cars drop in price often, too. Most recent example is last weekend. I reserved a Dollar mid-size car (3 day rental) months in advance for around $165 including all those obnoxious airport fees and taxes. I check the prices every couple of days, as they go all over the place (up AND down). Ten days before our trip, the exact same Dollar reservation was going for $78 ($17 per day plus all that other rubbish). So I made the new reservation and canceled the old one.

For comparison, two weeks before, during spring break, our four-day rental from Dollar (smaller car) was around $200. That one only dropped thirty dollars from the original reservation I made, but still went down. It was high season, so the higher price didn't surprise me.

My usual plan is to reserve something the day I know our itinerary dates and times (so the price can't get any worse than that) and then check every few days at the same car rental company as well as others and just keep rebooking whenever there's a savings. It is rare I have to stick with the original reservation.

I always check my rental car ressies and off-site hotel reservations. As everyone has stated prices DO go up and down. For me it's a game. This technique has worked for every trip to the World we have taken. I am checking for Dec. 2-7 already. :surfweb:

Yesterday I checked reservations for our Summer Hawaii/Oahu/Maui trip. Was able to save around $500 with dropped prices.

Our 2 week minivan rental for Disneyland (using Avis out of the Burbank airport) dropped $75 since I originally booked it, so I cancelled the old one and rebooked. Thanks for the reminder to re-check! :)

Hi

We are renting a van to drive from ohio to Orlando in July .. With Budget I found a price,, it say pay now( cheaper) save about $200 if I book this and it goes down with I be able to get the difference.
Any tips or suggustion greatly appreciated:goodvibes
Thank you

Mine dropped over $100 thru Costco for mid-June going to Aulani. I rebooked yesterday and called to cancel the first resv this morning. The agent said to call next time if the rate lowers and they can do the price adjustment instead of rebooking online.

I always check rental prices at both Costco and American Express Travel. I have had really good luck getting great rates! American Express does not require payment in advance and I believe you can actually book and then pay with another credit card. Also no cancellation or reservation fees!

Good luck! This is also a game for me! I love getting the rental I want at the best price possible!

I'm looking at a non WDW trip this summer....the reates have been dropping steadily for a couple of weeks,and I've rebooked as they do... just looked right now, and they have doubled!:crazy2: course I'm still 2months out....but I like to check and recheck:thumbsup2 so far I've had the best luck with car rental savers site....

I tried to call and have them price adjust my reservation and they said I would have to cancel / rebook. No big deal took a whole maybe 5 minutes total. Completely worth the $120 we saved last year and the $70 this year so far.

I am already keeping an eye out for December as well. We will be in FL for 2 weeks. Last December we got an excellent rate and when we got down there was able to upgrade for a GREAT DEAL compared to what I was quoted online when I did the first reservation lol. We learned the hard way we have way too much stuff for 2 weeks and a Standard / Full Car.

Right now it's outrageous but I know it will come down in time.

I just re-booked my mini-van rental last night also. It only dropped $35 but now we are under $500. Hoping to get it closer to $400 by the end of June but I'm ok if it doesn't go any lower because I had budgeted $550 for the 10 day rental. :cheer2:

sounds like quite a few of us will be in Hawaii this summer! I just rebooked our rental through costco and saved over $200 as well for a 2 week rental. And we even got a better car! Love how easy it is to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter