Onboard placeholder booking questions

Ravenne

Queen is never late everyone else is simply early
What forms of payment are accepted for placeholder bookings? I've read several different answers on whether or not they can charge it to your room. Can/Will they charge it to your room? I'm planning on just fill out a form and drop it in their drop box so I don't have to wait in line. How do they charge you when you do that? Do they email me a confirmation number? From what I'm finding online, the form doesn't have payment info, which is good because I wouldn't want to leave that around in a drop box anyway. Though it does leave me wondering how they'll charge me. If they charge the room, couldn't you pre-arrange for DVA funds to pay for it? (I've read mixed results about that too.)

How do they calculate how long you have to use the placeholder? I know you have to sail within 24 months, but do they go by the date you put on the form? I'm hoping to stretch the time out as far as possible, so would I put the last date I'm on the ship/disembarkation date?

Please correct me if I'm wrong in this: listing a current TA on an onboard booking or placeholder does not count as booking directly with the TA for the purpose of obc or perks from the TA, correct? How does/is this affecting Costco Travel as a TA? Are they still doing gcs for onboard bookings, reduced gcs, or none at all? Anyone have any experience with onboard booking and Costco Travel lately?

Thanks

The will ask if you want to charge the credit card that you have linked to your account. So it is a separate charge, not really onto your existing account. I have not actually done one by just dropping off. I think you still have to stop by and ok the charge. The 24 months starts whatever day they do the charge. So if concerned about the difference of a few days and you are sailing on a 7 night, do it later in the week(although lines are longer) No idea what at Costco is doing since they changed the commission for rebooking onboard to same for all travel agents.

The will ask if you want to charge the credit card that you have linked to your account. So it is a separate charge, not really onto your existing account.

How would that work with a cash only account?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but there's no "box" to drop any sort of rebook form in on the Dream. You have to speak with someone. They can bill your "card on file" but as the previous poster said, it's a separate change from your onboard account. Can't answer on Costco but when you rebook they will ask you if you want to continue using your TA (if the trip you're on was booked with a TA). You have two years from the day you book your placeholder. So if you do it on the last night of your cruise it will be two years from that day.

Also of note for everyone that hasn't sailed the Dream since the dry dock, the rebooking desk has moved. It's now called the "Disney Vacation Planning Center" and is located next to the art gallery on Deck 4 midship. When you go in, there is a kiosk in the center of the room where you need to tap your key to the world card to "check-in" and get your name on the list to speak to someone. As usual, avoid the last night if possible as its usually very busy.

Last edited:
On the Wonder there was definitely a drop box, but not sure about any of the other ships. I have another question-- can a FCC be used for an IGT/OGT/VGT rate?

How would that work with a cash only account?

If you don't have a card on file for your onboard account, you will have to provide cash, gift card or a credit/debit card specifically for the OBB placeholder. Since we've always used a credit card, I'm not sure if a cash transaction is done at the Future Bookings desk or Guest Services.

Enjoy your cruise!

I have another question-- can a FCC be used for an IGT/OGT/VGT rate?
Ooh good question!

If you don't have a card on file for your onboard account, you will have to provide cash, gift card or a credit/debit card specifically for the OBB placeholder. Since we've always used a credit card, I'm not sure if a cash transaction is done at the Future Bookings desk or Guest Services.

Enjoy your cruise!

I can live with that. Thank you!

I have another question-- can a FCC be used for an IGT/OGT/VGT rate?

Ooh good question!

Sorry, an OBB or placeholder canNOT be used for a *GT rate. Most special offers require a fresh new booking (I believe FLR is the only exception) and DCL does not allow stacking of discounts or offers. You can get OBC or other incentives/perks from a TA; note that some may or may not reduce their offer for a transferred reservation.

On the Wonder there was definitely a drop box, but not sure about any of the other ships. I have another question-- can a FCC be used for an IGT/OGT/VGT rate?
According to this, no:
Travel must take place within 24 months of reservation to maintain booking benefits. Blackout dates apply to the Onboard Rebooking Offer, please inquire when booking a confirmed date or contact Disney Cruise Line or your travel agent for more details. Onboard credits, per stateroom, will vary based on sailing. $100 for sailing of 6-nights or less and $200 for sailings 7-nights and greater. Cannot be combined with any other offer or discount. Not valid on VGT, OGT, or IGT stateroom categories with restrictions or 2-night sailings.

What forms of payment are accepted for placeholder bookings? I've read several different answers on whether or not they can charge it to your room. Can/Will they charge it to your room? I'm planning on just fill out a form and drop it in their drop box so I don't have to wait in line. How do they charge you when you do that? Do they email me a confirmation number? From what I'm finding online, the form doesn't have payment info, which is good because I wouldn't want to leave that around in a drop box anyway. Though it does leave me wondering how they'll charge me. If they charge the room, couldn't you pre-arrange for DVA funds to pay for it? (I've read mixed results about that too.)

How do they calculate how long you have to use the placeholder? I know you have to sail within 24 months, but do they go by the date you put on the form? I'm hoping to stretch the time out as far as possible, so would I put the last date I'm on the ship/disembarkation date?

Please correct me if I'm wrong in this: listing a current TA on an onboard booking or placeholder does not count as booking directly with the TA for the purpose of obc or perks from the TA, correct? How does/is this affecting Costco Travel as a TA? Are they still doing gcs for onboard bookings, reduced gcs, or none at all? Anyone have any experience with onboard booking and Costco Travel lately?

Thanks
I still haven't found a way to use my DV account for booking a placeholder cruise and I've mentioned this every time. I was just on the Dream before Xmas and as mentioned, they have a new process and area where they handle the bookings (which I really liked). The c/m (David) mentioned if you are #3 or #4 (can't remember which one) you can get a message delivered when it's your turn and you don't have to stand around and wait. I've never dropped off the form as I'm one of those that I need to know it's done and not just assume as I've read too many people say they got home and never received any confirmation it was done and it's never taken me more than a few minutes to go to the desk and book a placeholder. I pay using my Disney gift cards and have never had problems and agree with the others if billed in another way it's to a credit card, not to the onboard account but I'm sure there others might chime in if they found a different way.

I've used Costco for all but one of my DCL cruises and again like the last several times, he asked if I wanted to use Costco as my TA and I confirmed yes and they were sent an email and I received a copy as well. Just an FYI I think it was addressed to Cassandra and he said that's the person at Costco who handles the DCL bookings.

The wording on my email states your cruise must commence by the date you book it so yes if a day or two will matter, book it toward the end of your sailing :) Here is the wording from my most recent booking:

Travel must take place within 24 months of reservation to maintain booking benefits. Blackout dates apply to the Onboard Rebooking Offer, please inquire when booking a confirmed date or contact Disney Cruise Line or your travel agent for more details. Onboard credits, per stateroom, will vary based on sailing. $100 for sailing of 6-nights or less and $200 for sailings 7-nights and greater. Cannot be combined with any other offer or discount. Not valid on VGT, OGT, or IGT stateroom categories with restrictions or 2-night sailings.

Today's Date: 22-Dec-2015
Deposit: $250.00
Money Received: $250.00 *
Travel By: 22-Dec-2017
This reservation must commence on or before the Travel By date listed above or the reservation will automatically cancel and deposit will be refunded.

Heather

Ps. Just realized I didn't answer one of your questions. Costco does not reduce the amount offered if you transfer it to them or list them as your TA (at least not currently). The Costco cash card is around 8% of the price of the cruise.

Last edited:

Thanks

They will not charge it to your room account, but you can charge the credit card you use to pay your room account, or any charge card, or a rewards card (from Disney Visa) if you have it with you and it has a balance on it (hasn't been applied to your room account). For DVA they may be able to charge your DVA directly if you bring the account number and it has funds in it. Or they may be able to set up a 3 day hold and then when you are shoreside you can call the DVA # to have payment applied. Hopefully someone has recent experience with this. I haven't tried that lately and the DVA process seems to have had some improvements over the last year.

It's 24 months from the day you make the placeholder reservation, so make it on the last day of your cruise if you want to stretch it as far as possible.

I can't speak for Costco, but my TA now does lower obc amounts due to this new DCL policy. The TA still makes some commission but not as much as other bookings.

if you need to transfer your placeholder reservation to a TA after the cruise, remember to do it within 30 days of paying for your placeholder. don't be like me--i got the placeholder in july with DCL as the booking agent, then waited for the spring 2017 itineraries to come out in october, thinking i would switch to costco then. alas, i learned from the DCL CM i spoke to on the phone that i could not do so, because i had to do it within the 30-day period. so i lost out on my costco cash card, boohoo...

For DVA they may be able to charge your DVA directly if you bring the account number and it has funds in it. Or they may be able to set up a 3 day hold and then when you are shoreside you can call the DVA # to have payment applied. Hopefully someone has recent experience with this. I haven't tried that lately and the DVA process seems to have had some improvements over the last year.

Ok, that would be an interesting approach to DVA since it's basically like a gift card anyway. If they'll accept a Disney gift card, why wouldn't they accept DVA? How would they know otherwise other than the fact that you won't have a plastic card for them to swipe, but a series of numbers for them to enter instead? I'd be curious to see if that would work.

Thank you all so much for your help and insight!

Is it a flat $250.00 deposit per room?

For a "placeholder" yes, the deposit is a flat $250 for one room. I believe you can book 2 placeholders to be used as 2 staterooms on the same future cruise date.

If you wish to book a specific cruise date, the deposit amount is based on cruise fare -- 10% for cruises of 7+ nights and 20% for shorter cruises.

Enjoy your cruise!

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but there's no "box" to drop any sort of rebook form in on the Dream. You have to speak with someone.

I haven't been on the Dream, but on the Magic and the Fantasy, there is a box on the future cruise sales desk and I would be surprised if that's not the case on the Dream as well. There is a pad full of forms sitting on the desk and you take one, fill it out, and place it in that box when the cm working the desk is busy or off-duty. In 12-24 hours you'll receive the card delivered back to your stateroom with the price of the cruise you requested and the room # available (or GTY status), and then you can call and tell them to book it and have your card on file charged. So if you are just booking a placeholder or if you know exactly what you want, it's available, and you're using your cc on file, it works very smoothly. We have done it that way in the past. However if you're like me and my husband on our last cruise - you need to compare prices and rooms available to make your decision - then this process is not going to be handled by a card in the box.

Having your rebooking cruise planned out before you go is highly recommended! We always regret it when we don't do this.

Ok, that would be an interesting approach to DVA since it's basically like a gift card anyway. If they'll accept a Disney gift card, why wouldn't they accept DVA? How would they know otherwise other than the fact that you won't have a plastic card for them to swipe, but a series of numbers for them to enter instead? I'd be curious to see if that would work.

Thank you all so much for your help and insight!

I think it definitely *should* be an option, and probably will be in the future, but I am not 100% sure that it's an option right now. I think we discussed it with Jelena when we were re-booking on the Magic last month but I honestly can't remember for sure, it's all such a blur! I know for sure they can charge a rewards card from Disney Visa as that is how we paid, and I know they take Disney gift cards too as we have done that as well. You just have to have the balance on the card, don't apply it to your stateroom account. I messed up once and did that and it was a hassle for them to refund the $ off the stateroom account back to the gift card and then charge the gift card for the deposit. We were still straightening that out as we left the ship on the final morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter