• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Onboard Booking Policy Change Unfair!!!!

I don't find it unfair to the point of stomping my feet and sitting in a corner holding my breath. I also am a middle class american who has to budget for a vacation. Now I do find some of the changes unfair to me because I just did an OBB 3 weeks ago. I said I wanted to see where DCL would go or out of in late 2015. I did not want to book 2014 because those dates have been out for awhile and prices have increased enough there is no longer a benefit to getting 10% off of those sailings. Plus financially it's better if we wait until fall of 2015. I was offered a dummy date in Dec. 14 and told I could switch it once the 2015 fall rates were out. 2 weeks later what I was told originally was not true. Of course in the fine print of my booking I'm sure it said DCL had the right to change the terms of my original agreement. If I don't like the new rules I can receive a 100% refund. Bummer for me, but it could be worse. The main part of the new rules I don't care for is simply the 18 month time frame. I don't see how this is going to stop the dummy bookings. It will stop moving a cruise out indefinitely, but not an actual dummy booking. 2015 dates weren't out at all when I did my OBB and still would have needed to have a dummy date that I would move to the cruise I wanted at a later time. So this really isn't solving that problem. It will limit how many times a person can move or how far out a person can move their cruise, but not eliminate dummy dates completely.

Either way it won't stop me from cruising DCL. It will stop me from booking onboard though. The reason is because we cruise about every other year and only during the fall and so we can't comply with the 18 month rule. I don't find it unfair though, nor do I find it as a way for DCL to stick it to me for not making more money a year. I have taken 2 DCL cruises, and have my OBB sitting and waiting. The 2 I have taken were not OBB. The first one was planned and paid for just by picking a date and saying let's give this a try. We loved it, but had not budgeted to do an OBB, so we didn't and I have kicked myself for not ever since we stepped off the boat. Then I sat and watched the Galveston dates from opening day until they went on sale. We booked an inside room for a 7 day cruise out of Galveston for 2 adults and 1 child for $2100 with $200 in OB credits and a 50% deposit. I could not have gotten a deal that good with an OBB or on opening day or the two combined. When you live on a tight budget and want to take big trips you have to be a little creative. No harm in it. Builds character. :thumbsup2 So you can't do an OBB now. Oh well. Neither can I. So now I will pick dates on opening day that appeal to me in the year I want to cruise. I will watch them like a hawk and wait and see if there's a sale of some sort before the PIF date. If not I will see if there's going to be any GT rates released. Since I will be watching more than 1 cruise the chances of one or the other are pretty good. Because of my tight budget I need to be a little more flexible. If I can't be flexible I need to for sure pick a date at full price as soon as I can and go with it. The only difference will be instead of making payments directly to DCL I will buy Disney gift cards and use those when I want to book. Same difference to me.

Where Disney has hurt themselves with me as a customer is the year I want to cruise if I had an OBB I would only be looking and planning for that cruise. DCL would for sure have my money that year. Instead I might be waiting for a sale and think oh this line has a good sale going on, maybe I'll try them, or maybe we should just go to the Grand Canyon instead? If that does happen then we'll have a great family vacation either way. If Disney is not hurt by my trip to the Grand Canyon instead of being on a DCL ship I would hope Disney would tell me to have a great time and maybe they'll see us in a few years. It's a bummer, but nothing I'm going to get my panties in a wad over. I don't feel Disney is only wanting the upper class or rich folk on their cruise. I'm pretty sure DCL would rather have every inside cabin filled and no suites, than all suites and only a handful of inside cabins filled on their ships.

Just finished my bowl of popcorn while reading the entire thread. Knew that it would be some great reading. Disney in general has been changing things for some time now that has gotten the "guests" unhappy--but many of you are right that they are running a business and have the right to make changes and close some of the loopholes. I am sure many remember when the platinum OBC was $375.00 for a 7 night cruise. We booked one and were looking forward to that OBC. My wife and I decided to change our stateroom from a category 11B to a 9A. Called - made the change - gave DCL about $300 more for our cruise. Boarded the ship and our OBC was now $200.00. We made a change to the reservation and they applied the new rules to us. Did we think it was fair to us - no - but we actually had no recourse. We have recourse now - we can cancel and get our deposits back. Not happy with the new 2015 pricing(and I am not) I just do not book and take a cruise then. It is all over Disney folks - they change things for their good. New soda machines in the hotels...if you want all the "perks and benefits" with the DVC you better buy your membership from Disney and not the open market. They will continue to change things to change their bottom line each and every time. Although I am a little tired of hearing from the Disney "stockholders" talk on these forums about the job Disney owes them about making profits for them--and I do feel that they are entitled a profit for buying Disney stock. Disney's job is to get as much money out of you each and every time. Wonder why you get "free" Disney magical express to your resort--cause then you are a captive audience and must buy all your food, drinks and t-shirts at the overpriced parks and resorts. I for one woke up to this one and now make sure I have my rental car each and every time I go down to the World. My DW and I pick up our water, beverages and anything we feel we can purchase and use. We make it a habit of trying to eat at Cracker Barrel a couple of meals--of which we feel are better quality. We do still eat in the parks but try to minimize it--and we are just two people. Don't know how the families of five or six do it. I feel people should make decisions that is best for their family and not the Disney bottom line. Just read all the reports of record profits and how DVC sold an amazing number of points in the last quarter but is so far behind in the new one. Maybe they will offer some special deals to sell more points. They will do whatever they have to do to get your money. And by the way - they have gotten quite a bit of mine over the last 35 years. And yes, they will continue to get more of it - just now it will be definately on my own terms.

This change will be beneficial to those people who have flexibility in their vacation times. More inventory will probably be available making the chances of GT rates higher especially during off periods. This is similar to what they did with the dining reservations at Disney World by not allowing more than one reservation on the same time period. I'm rethinking our vacation strategy by possibly booking a room only at Disney World (which you can cancel with no penalty) and then waiting to see if a GT becomes available during that same period. If one opens up then we go on the cruise if not we go to DW. For Disney people it could be a win win, either way you're going on a Disney vacation.

This change will be beneficial to those people who have flexibility in their vacation times. More inventory will probably be available making the chances of GT rates higher especially during off periods. This is similar to what they did with the dining reservations at Disney World by not allowing more than one reservation on the same time period. I'm rethinking our vacation strategy by possibly booking a room only at Disney World (which you can cancel with no penalty) and then waiting to see if a GT becomes available during that same period. If one opens up then we go on the cruise if not we go to DW. For Disney people it could be a win win, either way you're going on a Disney vacation.

Sounds like a great plan!! Can not loose either way!!

ScottJayhawk said:
If you can't afford the terms of the new policy then perhaps you should explore other cruise lines more suitable to your budget.
It is what it is, its not unfair at all.

I think it's unfair that Ferrari charges so much for their cars because I'd really like one. But instead I buy a less expensive car.

So, what if you went to a Ferrari dealership and the salesperson offered you a great deal on a car (50 % off). Within you budget, but not for 3 years. Just leave a deposit and pay it off when you want, as long as we ave your business (Disney's former policy).

You get excited about the deal, only to find out 2 weeks later that they say "never mind, we have decided to change our rules. Either you pay it in 2 years, or you lose the deal.

Yes, you don't lose anything, but I'm sure there would be major disappointment for you. I'm sure you would think it were unfair that they changed the terms of the deal after the fact.

I'm not opposed to changing the terms, just not after you made a deal originally and then change it.

So, what if you went to a Ferrari dealership and the salesperson offered you a great deal on a car (50 % off). Within you budget, but not for 3 years. Just leave a deposit and pay it off when you want, as long as we ave your business (Disney's former policy).

You get excited about the deal, only to find out 2 weeks later that they say "never mind, we have decided to change our rules. Either you pay it in 2 years, or you lose the deal.

Yes, you don't lose anything, but I'm sure there would be major disappointment for you. I'm sure you would think it were unfair that they changed the terms of the deal after the fact.

I'm not opposed to changing the terms, just not after you made a deal originally and then change it.

Yes 50% off would be a major change for a make and break, we're talking 10%. Sorry not wealthy but not sure if 10% would break my vacation plans when there are so many other discounts out there like sales, obc, disney CG.

I'm sorry some posters have taken things so personally, but as long as their has been disney their have been people priced out of going, would those families love to take their kids, I'm sure they would. Is it more unfair for them that a dcl cruise costs a few thousand or that you lost a discount.

Is it unfair that the cruise price is different for identical cabins? Or that your flight cost double what someone else paid?

Would those that think its unfair prefer that cruises were free for all but you could never book bc there was no space?

The change effected everyone equally, to some who sailed with a ocean view they may downsize to inside, but what part is unfair. Sorry but reading all of these 1st world problems about not bring able to book multiple vacations is frustrating

I don't find it unfair to the point of stomping my feet and sitting in a corner holding my breath. I also am a middle class american who has to budget for a vacation. Now I do find some of the changes unfair to me because I just did an OBB 3 weeks ago. I said I wanted to see where DCL would go or out of in late 2015. I did not want to book 2014 because those dates have been out for awhile and prices have increased enough there is no longer a benefit to getting 10% off of those sailings. Plus financially it's better if we wait until fall of 2015. I was offered a dummy date in Dec. 14 and told I could switch it once the 2015 fall rates were out. 2 weeks later what I was told originally was not true. Of course in the fine print of my booking I'm sure it said DCL had the right to change the terms of my original agreement. If I don't like the new rules I can receive a 100% refund. Bummer for me, but it could be worse. The main part of the new rules I don't care for is simply the 18 month time frame. I don't see how this is going to stop the dummy bookings. It will stop moving a cruise out indefinitely, but not an actual dummy booking. 2015 dates weren't out at all when I did my OBB and still would have needed to have a dummy date that I would move to the cruise I wanted at a later time. So this really isn't solving that problem. It will limit how many times a person can move or how far out a person can move their cruise, but not eliminate dummy dates completely.

Either way it won't stop me from cruising DCL. It will stop me from booking onboard though. The reason is because we cruise about every other year and only during the fall and so we can't comply with the 18 month rule. I don't find it unfair though, nor do I find it as a way for DCL to stick it to me for not making more money a year. I have taken 2 DCL cruises, and have my OBB sitting and waiting. The 2 I have taken were not OBB. The first one was planned and paid for just by picking a date and saying let's give this a try. We loved it, but had not budgeted to do an OBB, so we didn't and I have kicked myself for not ever since we stepped off the boat. Then I sat and watched the Galveston dates from opening day until they went on sale. We booked an inside room for a 7 day cruise out of Galveston for 2 adults and 1 child for $2100 with $200 in OB credits and a 50% deposit. I could not have gotten a deal that good with an OBB or on opening day or the two combined. When you live on a tight budget and want to take big trips you have to be a little creative. No harm in it. Builds character. :thumbsup2 So you can't do an OBB now. Oh well. Neither can I. So now I will pick dates on opening day that appeal to me in the year I want to cruise. I will watch them like a hawk and wait and see if there's a sale of some sort before the PIF date. If not I will see if there's going to be any GT rates released. Since I will be watching more than 1 cruise the chances of one or the other are pretty good. Because of my tight budget I need to be a little more flexible. If I can't be flexible I need to for sure pick a date at full price as soon as I can and go with it. The only difference will be instead of making payments directly to DCL I will buy Disney gift cards and use those when I want to book. Same difference to me.

Where Disney has hurt themselves with me as a customer is the year I want to cruise if I had an OBB I would only be looking and planning for that cruise. DCL would for sure have my money that year. Instead I might be waiting for a sale and think oh this line has a good sale going on, maybe I'll try them, or maybe we should just go to the Grand Canyon instead? If that does happen then we'll have a great family vacation either way. If Disney is not hurt by my trip to the Grand Canyon instead of being on a DCL ship I would hope Disney would tell me to have a great time and maybe they'll see us in a few years. It's a bummer, but nothing I'm going to get my panties in a wad over. I don't feel Disney is only wanting the upper class or rich folk on their cruise. I'm pretty sure DCL would rather have every inside cabin filled and no suites, than all suites and only a handful of inside cabins filled on their ships.

You and I must have the exact same travel planning book! I agree completely. Yes, it's a bummer. Yes, it's disappointing. But it's a business decision on their part and we'll just adapt to it and if it means doing something else besides cruising Disney that's okay too.

I understand the disappointment if they changed the rules on you mid-game. I think they should honor a commitment to those who already booked dummy dates. However, moving forward they are a business; be it family entertainment and not a charity group. Why are they held to a different standard? Do you see anyone blasting the Ritz Carlton for their room rates?:confused3

The OP calling out the people that he/she thinks is getting a discount that in the
his/her opinion don't need it to me is outrageous! Do you you know everyone's circumstances??

I'm sure I'm going to offend some with this, but boy there are a lot of people showing their ignorance of how businesses work. So many with the attitude laced with "me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me". This is a free country, if you don't like Disney's new policy - vote with your feet and spend your money elsewhere. If Disney turns enough people off and losses too much business, they'll adjust to win business back. That's how capitalism works.

I think the move makes a lot of sense. The whole point of the discount was likely to encourage frequent cruising - not give anyone/everyone/the middle class a discount. That would be kind of an absurd decision for a business as another poster mentioned - whose purpose is likely maximize shareholder value. They've determined that 18 months is considered frequent to them now.

I don't think Disney is turning anyone away from sailing with them. For people that can't afford to go within 18 months at 90%, but could within 24 months at 90%, you should be able to afford to go every 30 months at 100% under the new policy. Or, as I said above, vote with your feet and spend your discretional money elsewhere.

Off soapbox...

Sent from my SAMSUNG Note2 using DISBoards

Could not have said it better!!!! What a perfect statement!:thumbsup2

Just finished my bowl of popcorn while reading the entire thread. Knew that it would be some great reading. Disney in general has been changing things for some time now that has gotten the "guests" unhappy--but many of you are right that they are running a business and have the right to make changes and close some of the loopholes. I am sure many remember when the platinum OBC was $375.00 for a 7 night cruise. We booked one and were looking forward to that OBC. My wife and I decided to change our stateroom from a category 11B to a 9A. Called - made the change - gave DCL about $300 more for our cruise. Boarded the ship and our OBC was now $200.00. We made a change to the reservation and they applied the new rules to us. Did we think it was fair to us - no - but we actually had no recourse. We have recourse now - we can cancel and get our deposits back. Not happy with the new 2015 pricing(and I am not) I just do not book and take a cruise then. It is all over Disney folks - they change things for their good. New soda machines in the hotels...if you want all the "perks and benefits" with the DVC you better buy your membership from Disney and not the open market. They will continue to change things to change their bottom line each and every time. Although I am a little tired of hearing from the Disney "stockholders" talk on these forums about the job Disney owes them about making profits for them--and I do feel that they are entitled a profit for buying Disney stock. Disney's job is to get as much money out of you each and every time. Wonder why you get "free" Disney magical express to your resort--cause then you are a captive audience and must buy all your food, drinks and t-shirts at the overpriced parks and resorts. I for one woke up to this one and now make sure I have my rental car each and every time I go down to the World. My DW and I pick up our water, beverages and anything we feel we can purchase and use. We make it a habit of trying to eat at Cracker Barrel a couple of meals--of which we feel are better quality. We do still eat in the parks but try to minimize it--and we are just two people. Don't know how the families of five or six do it. I feel people should make decisions that is best for their family and not the Disney bottom line. Just read all the reports of record profits and how DVC sold an amazing number of points in the last quarter but is so far behind in the new one. Maybe they will offer some special deals to sell more points. They will do whatever they have to do to get your money. And by the way - they have gotten quite a bit of mine over the last 35 years. And yes, they will continue to get more of it - just now it will be definitely on my own terms.

Totally agree!! And yes, they will continue to get more of it - just now it will be definitely on my own terms.

I guess it's my turn to get flamed

The world changes, things change, you have to change with them. Not everyone can afford the same things that everyone else does, other people do more work and get paid less, it just goes on and on.

Growing up as a child we did not go on vacations because my parents thought it was more important to put food on the table and have lights in the house. I decided that I would grow up and get a job where I didn't have to make those kinds of choices. I think sometimes not having drives you to make better choices in life.

No things aren't fair and to be quite honest it is so annoying to see people write "I know Palo is for 18 adults but can my 17 year old go?" No! "I know the kids club age is from this to this, but can my fill in the blank go" No! "I know the adults pool is for adults only, but can my child just sit in the space and read a book?" No! "Can I board early because the other cabin with my family is?" No!

No wonder kids have a hard time with "no" their parents find every way around it!

i guess it's my turn to get flamed the world changes, things change, you have to change with them. Not everyone can afford the same things that everyone else does, other people do more work and get paid less, it just goes on and on. Growing up as a child we did not go on vacations because my parents thought it was more important to put food on the table and have lights in the house. I decided that i would grow up and get a job where i didn't have to make those kinds of choices. I think sometimes not having drives you to make better choices in life. No things aren't fair and to be quite honest it is so annoying to see people write "i know palo is for 18 adults but can my 17 year old go?" no! "i know the kids club age is from this to this, but can my fill in the blank go" no! "i know the adults pool is for adults only, but can my child just sit in the space and read a book?" no! "can i board early because the other cabin with my family is?" no! No wonder kids have a hard time with "no" their parents find every way around it!

standing ovation!!!!!

The world changes, things change, you have to change with them. Not everyone can afford the same things that everyone else does, other people do more work and get paid less, it just goes on and on.

Growing up as a child we did not go on vacations because my parents thought it was more important to put food on the table and have lights in the house. I decided that I would grow up and get a job where I didn't have to make those kinds of choices. I think sometimes not having drives you to make better choices in life.

No things aren't fair and to be quite honest it is so annoying to see people write "I know Palo is for 18 adults but can my 17 year old go?" No! "I know the kids club age is from this to this, but can my fill in the blank go" No! "I know the adults pool is for adults only, but can my child just sit in the space and read a book?" No! "Can I board early because the other cabin with my family is?" No!

No wonder kids have a hard time with "no" their parents find every way around it!

:woohoo: yeah for common sense!

For all those that are stating that 10% should not make or break your vacation, I will take 10% of each of your cruise fare. It doesn't matter how much I make, I still do my best to manage my money and save every dime that I can.

We have a dummy reservation that we booked from our April cruise this year, but will be cancelling and getting our refund after seeing the 2015 rates unless they drop rates dramatically. The same cruise for 2015 has increased 35% from this year! I will just move to another line. We have cruised on Celebrity, RCL and Holland and will gladly give them our money instead of Disney to save several thousand of dollars.

We have a dummy reservation that we booked from our April cruise this year, but will be cancelling and getting our refund after seeing the 2015 rates unless they drop rates dramatically. The same cruise for 2015 has increased 35% from this year! I will just move to another line. We have cruised on Celebrity, RCL and Holland and will gladly give them our money instead of Disney to save several thousand of dollars.

It was a bit of a wrench schedule a cruise on the Baltic with a cruise line other than DCL, but hey, once we got there, it was great. Nice, new ship, better food, and the $$$$ we saved paid for some great shore excursions. No regrets for "jumping ship" to Celebrity.

DCL is great, but they aren't the only ship afloat. If enough passengers take their cruise $$$$ elsewhere, DCL will have to lower their prices.

I don't mind the fact that the obb now expires, but 18 mths is too short. We do one big Disney trip per year, alternating with Wdw. Now we won't be able to make an obb for every opposite year. Not sure it matters if 2015 opening day prices are what we can expect though, as I won't pay that much to sail anyway. If I can't get us a *GT rate, then I guess we will just be doing Wdw in the future. It's a bummer, but I have my limits for what a week vacation should cost and they have exceeded it in 2015. Their right to do so, my right to vacation elsewhere.

:thumbsup2 :cheer2: :worship:

It was a bit of a wrench schedule a cruise on the Baltic with a cruise line other than DCL, but hey, once we got there, it was great. Nice, new ship, better food, and the $$$$ we saved paid for some great shore excursions. No regrets for "jumping ship" to Celebrity.

DCL is great, but they aren't the only ship afloat. If enough passengers take their cruise $$$$ elsewhere, DCL will have to lower their prices.
Agreed! The season DCL went to the Baltics, we jumped ship and went to the Baltics on RCI for one third the cost.

Woody

BRAVO!!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter