• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

? on tipping

Mary Diehl

DIS Veteran
Our family hired a driver that was highly recommended here on the boards. I got an invoice the other day asking to pay the total it will cost him to transport us throughout that week. My question is, how do we tip him? Since we would have already paid him for the total week, how do you figure out how much to tip him for each individual pick up/drop off. Some days he'll only be picking up two people, some days 4 people, some days all 6 of us. Some of those days will only be a 20 min drive, others 40 min... I have no idea what each drop off/pick up monetary value is if I were to tip percentage wise. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Since you hired him as your driver for the week it doesn't matter how many trips, people or time.....the required tip is 20% of total bill less the tax. That is the standard industry for a hired driver....

When would we tip him that 20% based on the total bill? There is no place on the invoice to add that it.

I would tip after each trip based on how well the service for that ride was. You should know roughly what each ride was when you were quoted/sent an invoice.

Pay him At the end of your Vacation . .. The 20 per cent , as mentioned , may be a lot of money depending on

the Total Cost of the Weeks Rental ..... So maybe Reduce the percentage to what YOU think would be the

" Tip Value " ...... Will the driver Complain ? Will you see him/ her again ?

You can pay the tip at the end and like I stated before the standard industry is 20% whether subpar or fantastic. I realize some wont like my answer but those are the same people that tip 15% or less at Disney restaurants.

Pay him At the end of your Vacation . .. The 20 per cent , as mentioned , may be a lot of money depending on

the Total Cost of the Weeks Rental ..... So maybe Reduce the percentage to what YOU think would be the

" Tip Value " ...... Will the driver Complain ? Will you see him/ her again ?

Not sure the driver complaining or whether or not you will see him/her again has anything to do with an appropriate tip.

But I don't think the OP is asking about the amount of the tip, merely when to offer it and I agree, at the end of the trip.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! The driver is open to being paid the total tip at the end of our vacation :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter