On the Fantasy Now (My Observations)

TravelBugg

Earning My Ears
I know several of us are a little concerned about how DCL and others are going to handle the Ebola/other infectious disease issues so I thought I would share my observations so far. Mind you this is my first DCL cruise so all of this may be normal but I will tell you about it anyway.

First off, we all had to answer a travel/health questionnaire (1 per family/stateroom) that asked about any travel to essentially Ebola-stricken areas or if we've cared for anyone with Ebola.

They are also handing out hand wipes when you enter the ship and the eateries. The hand wipes are stationed at the entrances to the eateries so you can get them on your own too.

The other thing that I like it that they have someone (wearing gloves) positioned at not only all the buffets but at the drink stations too.

Again, some of this may be standard for Disney but I wanted to share anyway. So far I am impressed and feel like they are definitely trying to keep everything as clean as possible.

I know several of us are a little concerned about how DCL and others are going to handle the Ebola/other infectious disease issues so I thought I would share my observations so far. Mind you this is my first DCL cruise so all of this may be normal but I will tell you about it anyway.

First off, we all had to answer a travel/health questionnaire (1 per family/stateroom) that asked about any travel to essentially Ebola-stricken areas or if we've cared for anyone with Ebola.

They are also handing out hand wipes when you enter the ship and the eateries. The hand wipes are stationed at the entrances to the eateries so you can get them on your own too.

The other thing that I like it that they have someone (wearing gloves) positioned at not only all the buffets but at the drink stations too.

Again, some of this may be standard for Disney but I wanted to share anyway. So far I am impressed and feel like they are definitely trying to keep everything as clean as possible.
There has always been a health questionnaire, but it only asked about fever or flu symptoms. Thanks for sharing this information.

Hand wipes have always been handed out when boarding and before you go into the buffet or main dining rooms.

There are always CM's behind the buffets wearing gloves and occasionally at the drink stations, but not always.

Thanks for letting us know.

They only have someone at the drink station if they have someone sick on board so that is not normal. Or people handing out the food. It might make things a bit slower but I like this. Who knows what kid/adult put his fingers in there or put something back. :lmao:

The wipes before entering the food places are always there.

We do fill out a health sheet in the terminal but they don't ask about Ebola so that is new too.

Hope you have a great trip and stay healthy!

Looks like the regular health procedures when I boarded the Wonder looking for Norwalk in the Summer.

One question is whether they subject you to the same health assessment when you return from an excursion where you could be infected? Or is the procedure only to check you on Day 1. If you are good on Day 1, you are assumed to be good for the entire cruise. A shot of hand sanitizer is the only defence to keep the ship Ebola free.

Currently on the fantasy also. Standing in line for a cup of soda. So 2 CM's are making glasses of soda to hand out. They have no gloves on. And just high fives a kid. Returned to passing out drinks. If u are so worried, this is a massive failure in the system. During lunch everyone was shoved in close quarters in buffet. The servers were taking plates from customers, placing food on them and handing them back.

One question is whether they subject you to the same health assessment when you return from an excursion where you could be infected? Or is the procedure only to check you on Day 1. If you are good on Day 1, you are assumed to be good for the entire cruise.

That would not be very effective. The incubation period for Ebola is measured in days, not hours or minutes. If a passenger were to be infected by Ebola while on a shore excursion on a Disney ship, however unlikely that would be, they would not exhibit any symptoms upon reboarding. In fact, they'd probably be symptom-free and not contagious until after they returned home.

That makes no sense as far as CM's near the beverage station...if they are there, they should only be doing the beverages and not high 5ing anyone...

As long as the crew member isn't touching the drunk spout it should be fine. The problem comes in when people getting a drink put their hands on the drink spout or reuse their cups and their cups (along with their germs) touch the drink spout.

Thanks for the report. I am anxious to hear what others have to say on future sailings as well. Obviously they have a vested interest in keeping people healthy.

I am wondering how they will handle normal sea sickness.

In the past, the CMs only man the buffet & drink stations when there has been a certain percentage of guests ill on the ship. I guess we will hear from the returning cruisers if this went into place during the last cruise. Also, when these precautions are in effect, there is no pin trading onboard by CMs. If this continues during the entire cruise, it might be due to the new concerns about Ebola. If not, it is due to a previous outbreak of norovirus onboard while they try to get control of the spread of the virus.

ETA: Scott reports that the Magic has self-service at the buffet and drink stations today, but did have the new questionnaire when they went through check-in before reboarding.

Update: So, after a couple of days, they did have someone stationed at the drink areas handing out wipes but we started serving ourselves.

The only other odd thing I noticed/heard of was some kind of medical emergency that happened on Friday (yesterday) but I have no idea what that was about.

The Ebola thing is worrisome but if people are really that scared then stay home. It doesn't matter where you go, you might catch something. There is only so much they can do. Not sure how they even expect people to report illness when they might be kicked off the boat with no refund of money spent.

The Ebola thing is worrisome but if people are really that scared then stay home. It doesn't matter where you go, you might catch something. There is only so much they can do. Not sure how they even expect people to report illness when they might be kicked off the boat with no refund of money spent.

EXACTLY! People have admitted to lying on the forms about the initial questions so that they aren't denied boarding. CLEARLY they are not going to self-report they traveled to the affected countries.

Trust me - we are getting a primer on Ebola in NYC as we have one patient - a doctor who volunteered with MSF (Doctors Without Borders). He did exactly as the CDC recommends - he checked his temperature at least twice a day. When he spiked a fever, he called it in and was immediately taken to the hospital. We have had press conference after press conference about how it is spread.

A) IF THE INFECTED PERSON DOES NOT HAVE A TEMPERATURE, THEY ARE NOT CONTAGIOUS.

B) IF YOU HAVE NOT HAD DIRECT CONTACT WITH THE BODILY FLUIDS OF THE INFECTED PERSON, IT IS LIKE LESS THAN A 1% CHANCE OF CONTRACTING IT.

If B wasn't true, everyone in NYC who rode the 1, A or L train the same day he did would be under quarantine. As it is, the only people under quarantine besides the doctor is his fiancé and I believe 2 friends they were hanging out with.

The most plain-stated rule I've seen is this:

IF IT IT WET AND STICKY AND DID NOT COME OUT OF YOUR BODY, DO NOT TOUCH IT.

In the past, the CMs only man the buffet & drink stations when there has been a certain percentage of guests ill on the ship. I guess we will hear from the returning cruisers if this went into place during the last cruise. Also, when these precautions are in effect, there is no pin trading onboard by CMs. If this continues during the entire cruise, it might be due to the new concerns about Ebola. If not, it is due to a previous outbreak of norovirus onboard while they try to get control of the spread of the virus.

ETA: Scott reports that the Magic has self-service at the buffet and drink stations today, but did have the new questionnaire when they went through check-in before reboarding.

We got off the Fantasy yesterday. We figured the extra precautions were due to the recent heightened awareness and concern about Ebola. The pre-cruise questionnaire had the usual questions about fever/illness, and also asked if we had traveled to the 3 countries in west Africa that have been most affected (sorry, I can not recall the names of those countries), and the form stated that DCL does not have any crew members from those 3 countries. Also, we were told on embarkation day that the CDC was on board for a random inspection.

As you state above, there was no Crew Member pin trading (we were allowed to trade with the collections they had at cash registers in the stores).

10694471_10204721569148652_3179582122025181930_o.jpg

and I was on the cruise that ended this past Saturday morning. The handing out the wipe issue got to be ridiculous. You couldn't walk 10 feet without someone handing out the wipes...I more appreciated the guy that was wiping down the drink station after someone was there. While they were in the ultra vigilant mode they had cast members wiping down the bathrooms almost constantly - I more appreciated that since they can get nasty quickly. Palo was the worst. They had to serve you and it was impossible to see the food to be placed on your plate - if the ultra procedures, are in place again, I will skip Palo brunch. Other then that Castaway Cay day was a bust (unless you liked playing in the rain)...my grandson was tall enough for the AquaDuck so I got lots of exercise. Table team (Stefanos and Johnny) were great - and we will be going back next Thanksgiving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter