• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

On the cruise without another family ...

Main Street Matilda

Mouseketeer
We are due to take a 7-day cruise on the Fantasy. My sister and her family were supposed to join us, but unfortunately, she had to cancel. Do you find that most families are paired with other families/friends on the ship? I adore spending time with my family, but I don't want my kids to feel "left-out" if they don't have buddies on the ship for the teen and children's programs.

My last and only cruise so far was a family reunion and there was no lack of company, so I'm not sure what to expect.

We have only been able to talk single people into joining us for our cruises. Our kids either had to hang out with each other or make new friends. They have never had a problem.

We have cruised 4 times, only once with any one else, and that was my parents. Our son is an only child so has been on his own every time and has loved every minute of it. It's great for family time and he's happy to go to activities of his choice in the clubs. There is so much for kids to do I don't think they mind if they are with family or making new friends!

I would say that the majority of families do not cruise as part of a bigger group. In our 13 cruises we have sailed with another family three times. The other ten were just with our immediate family. My kids had no trouble making friends in the kids' clubs and having a great time.

That's good to know. I have a big family so it is rare that we go somewhere that there aren't others along. Thankfully, my kids enjoy each other's company, but I wanted something memorable for them.

If you join the cruise meet thread and/or Facebook group for your sailing, you can try to match your kids up to other kids their age before the cruise. We've done that for our last two family cruises and it's worked out really well. For our cruise last week on the Fantasy, we linked reservations with another family from our cruise meet group and shared a table in the MDRs. Our girls spent time together on the ship and in all three ports. It was great! The two girls started emailing a few months before the cruise so they could get to know each other.

We are a family of 3 and never felt odd or left out that it was just the 3 of us. Honestly I think cruises with their kids clubs are great vacations for only children and/or smaller families. He gets to interact with other children and not just hang out with adults the whole time and we get a break as well. I am sure your kids will have a fabulous trip.

We have the exact opposite problem: DD is an only child and we live without any close relatives near. If we did, they probably wouldn't have the money or inclination to vacation with us.

We did go on the cruise meet board here, found several little ones that are exactly DD's age and they started a pen pal group.

My DD doesn't know a stranger so I'm hoping the other girls are outgoing too!

:wave2:

If you join the cruise meet thread and/or Facebook group for your sailing, you can try to match your kids up to other kids their age before the cruise. We've done that for our last two family cruises and it's worked out really well. For our cruise last week on the Fantasy, we linked reservations with another family from our cruise meet group and shared a table in the MDRs. Our girls spent time together on the ship and in all three ports. It was great! The two girls started emailing a few months before the cruise so they could get to know each other.

I agree with this. I'm so pleased that my girls have found kids their own age (with parents' coordination) through our cruise Facebook page and have been messaging. Our cruise isn't until July, so they will feel comfortable around one another before the "meet." I'm excited for them that they will have friends waiting for them on the boat! Mine are teens, which might make it a little easier they use Facebook, Instagram, etc.)

How old are your kids? We are on the Fantasy 7 day in July! I have 2 boys 6 & 10 and are sailing alone as we'll!

I'm a single mom and we travel often just the two of us We make friends through the meet group and always have fun. He's an only too. We also have fun doing stuff just the two of us. Never traveled with family. He always has fun in the club also. Even if you don't find people to constantly spend time with there's so much to do that the 3 of you will still have a great time and make awesome memories.

That is so good to know. I feel silly that this is a concern for me. The kids are so excited for this trip, I'd hate for them to be let-down.

Also, encourage your kids to go to their perspective youth clubs the first night of the cruise. They can usually meet some kids their own age there to hang out with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter