On the aircraft... Car seat or not?

Can I add a question? We are flying next month with our 21 month old. We rearface until well over 2. But in a plane does it matter? Since it's not a collision they're being protected from? We are flying with a scenera, which direction would you do? Thanks!

Can I add a question? We are flying next month with our 21 month old. We rearface until well over 2. But in a plane does it matter? Since it's not a collision they're being protected from? We are flying with a scenera, which direction would you do? Thanks!

Someone else may be able to chime in for sure, but I think it's ok to forward face the child in the plane. My sister forward faced my nephew in the plane at 18 months. He is over 2 now and I think she still rear faces him in the car.

I have been told for the plane it is simply for turbulence. Unfortunately if you are in the type of accident where forward or rear facing might matter it wouldn't make much different as survival rates are very low to begin with.

I have been told for the plane it is simply for turbulence. Unfortunately if you are in the type of accident where forward or rear facing might matter it wouldn't make much different as survival rates are very low to begin with.

Thanks! That's (morbidly) what I figured.

A scenera next? If so, it is not legal to use that seat forward facing until 2 years old, car or plane. I would still rearface, as that will prevent the toddler from kicking the seat in front of them. It can be as upright as needed though.

A scenera next? If so, it is not legal to use that seat forward facing until 2 years old, car or plane. I would still rearface, as that will prevent the toddler from kicking the seat in front of them. It can be as upright as needed though.

Can you provide source on this? I thought legality of forward/rear facing was based on age only (not brand), and did not apply to aircraft. I'm fine with being wrong, but would like to look up my brand of seat and see what the law says about it.

Can you provide source on this? I thought legality of forward/rear facing was based on age only (not brand), and did not apply to aircraft. I'm fine with being wrong, but would like to look up my brand of seat and see what the law says about it.

I don't think there is any law on that for airplanes. The FFA only has a rule saying under 2 can be unbuckled on the lap but over 2 must be in their own seat and buckled when the fasten seatbelt sign is illuminated. They also have a rule that all carseats say FFA approved for air travel. The FAA actually has weight based guidelines for rear versus forward not age based like motor vehicles.

It's not a Next but I'll consider the kicking aspect when we install in!

Here's the car seat manual link. Right on the first page after forward facing it says the typical data and at least 2 years old. https://www.coscokids.com/amfilerating/file/download/file_id/5980/ Basically it's illegal to use this seat forward facing before 2 because that is what the manufacturer says is the requirement. A lot of states have a clause stating you must follow the guidelines in the car seat manual instead of doing age or weight laws. It was a bold move cosco did when redesigning this seat.

You still need to follow the rules of the seat on the plane. If you're using an infant bucket, they aren't able to force you to forward face it. If you're child is 20lbs and the seat says 22 to forward face, you can't forward face. Well you could, but it goes against the manufacturer guidelines. Sure, there are no police that are going to jump out and arrest you, but I am a fan of following the car seat guidelines. Plus, if it's a seat you have a to manually change the harness then it saves you from bothering with that.

Here's the car seat manual link. Right on the first page after forward facing it says the typical data and at least 2 years old. https://www.coscokids.com/amfilerating/file/download/file_id/5980/ Basically it's illegal to use this seat forward facing before 2 because that is what the manufacturer says is the requirement. A lot of states have a clause stating you must follow the guidelines in the car seat manual instead of doing age or weight laws. It was a bold move cosco did when redesigning this seat.

You still need to follow the rules of the seat on the plane. If you're using an infant bucket, they aren't able to force you to forward face it. If you're child is 20lbs and the seat says 22 to forward face, you can't forward face. Well you could, but it goes against the manufacturer guidelines. Sure, there are no police that are going to jump out and arrest you, but I am a fan of following the car seat guidelines. Plus, if it's a seat you have a to manually change the harness then it saves you from bothering with that.

It says not to forward face under age 2 because that's the installation instructions for a motor vehicle. It's not safe to forward face a child under age 2 in a motor vehicle because they aren't developmentally ready. As previously pointed out in this thread, forward and rear facing doesn't have the same implications on an airplane.

As long as the child meets the weight and height requirements to forward face the seat, it's fine to do so on the airplane. I think OP said the child is 21 months? If that's the case, the kid should be plenty big to forward face in this particular seat, and it's totally legal to do so.

It says not to forward face under age 2 because that's the installation instructions for a motor vehicle. It's not safe to forward face a child under age 2 in a motor vehicle because they aren't developmentally ready. As previously pointed out in this thread, forward and rear facing doesn't have the same implications on an airplane.

As long as the child meets the weight and height requirements to forward face the seat, it's fine to do so on the airplane. I think OP said the child is 21 months? If that's the case, the kid should be plenty big to forward face in this particular seat, and it's totally legal to do so.

Some seats have age requirements, and they must be met in addition to the weight and height requirements for the seat in order to use the seat correctly (regardless of car or plane). For the Next, it can be installed as upright as desired rear-facing for a child that can sit unassisted, so it will generally fit rear-facing on a plane. Also, many kids outgrow the Next forward facing while they still fit rear facing.

At 21 months, I would probably try to rear-face on the plane, especially if I hope the child will sleep, but if I had to forward face due to space restrictions, I would be ok with it. (I would never be ok with forward facing a 21 month old in a car).

Yes. DD was 3.5 on her first flight and about 35lbs. We rented a car on arrival so we needed the seat anyways. Air. Canada at that time REQUIRED all passengers under age 4 what had their own seat to be in an approved car seat. Next flight she was over 4 and we weren't renting a car so we left it at home. I'm in Canada as well be the Cosco Scenera is a good choice. A few year ago there was a plane crash of a smaller plane near in northern BC. There was some family on board and a little girl who was properly harnessed in her carseat on the plane. She was the sole survivor of the crash.http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/girl-3-lone-survivor-of-golden-plane-crash-1.678509

How should I know that they are approved for air travel? Or I can find this info in the car seat guidelines (I haven't found yet)?

There has to be a sticker on the car seat itself (usually at the base so the kids can't pick it off) that says it is approved for use on airplanes. It may even be on the back part that goes up against the seat.

Another vote here for the CARES harness. We had one and used it for a couple of years until our son grew out of it. It was fantastic, easy to carry around and easy to use.

IT IS NOT APPROVED AS A CAR SEAT, as a prior poster had suggested. If you are on Disney transportation you won't need a car seat anyways.

As for the rear versus forward facing debate - let's pause and be real here. In a motor vehicle the orientation of the car seat is meant to provide maximum protection in the event of impact. On an airplane the child restraint is really for severe turbulence. Impact? Not so much. None of us are likely walking away from a plane crash, no matter which way your seat was facing. From a practical standpoint, airplane seat belts are not the same as car seat belts. I would have had a hard time securing my sons car seat rear facing on an airplane, and also you may not have enough room between the seat and the seat in front of it to put it rear facing.

As long as they can in it go for it. Plus think about this.
Plus you have to lug the seat all over the place. To the airport, through security, in the airport, in the airplane, getting off the airplane, through the airport, the long walk to magical express and then repeat on the way home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter