• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

On the 1st Day of Christmas Walt Disney Gave to Me.....Final Chapter 5/14/10!

On the 2nd day of Christmas, Walt Disney gave to me.....

Two and a half hours of drive time
And a room at the Wilderness Lodge.

So we were up at 5:30am on Friday, Dec 11th and out the door by <ahem> 6:40. For some reason I could not get Jeff in the shower! My goal was to be out the door no later than 6:15 but he let me down. Men!

The dog was dropped off at the kennel on Thursday so all we had to do was toss two bags in the trunk and be off.

But nooooooo. Jeff wanted to relax that morning, which is unusual for him. He's usually the one who's up and anxious to get on the road to WDW.

So according to my calculations, if we left at 6:40, with a quick stop for breakfast, we should be checking in by 9am, and in a park by about 9:45.

And I was close.

When we got to WL, I made my way to checkin, half expecting.... okay, totally expecting..... to have our room ready for us. After all, EVERY time we've driven down first thing in the morning, our room as been ready for us!

Again, must be that sparkling personality thing..... ;)

But apparently Mr CM at WL didn't get the memo. I was told they would text me when our room was ready.

Not a problem. After all, all we'd do would be to toss a couple bags on the bed and be back out the door in 5 minutes anyway.

So we grabbed our pin lanyards, backpacks, and our Disney spirit, and we made our way to the bus stop to head to DHS.

The VERY nice thing about the villas at WL is the proximity to the bus stop. They are a bazillion miles closer than the lodge itself.

The bad thing about the villas is that you feel somewhat removed from the lodge. And WL is so beautiful! Especially at Christmas, which is why we chose this resort for this trip.

We have stayed at Pop, ASMu, ASSp, CSR, POR, YC, BWI, and AKL. And the Mahi Mahi, but that's another story.......

I didn't realize when I scored the great rate ($199/night) for WL that we were in the villas. Not that it really mattered, as we ran commando in the parks this trip. But I don't think I would choose the villas again. Nothing wrong. Just didn't feel like we were part of the lodge. And again, if it had been summertime, sunny, and we were using the pool or the facilities more, it might have been different.

This was the beautiful tree in the lobby of the villas:

VWL9.jpg

And the even more beautiful tree in the lobby of the lodge:

VWL98.jpg

Our room had a queen bed and a pull out sleeper, which shocked us at first. I had lost my senses apparently, as I KNEW that the studios were set up this way in DVC properties. But as you will find, I lost my senses, and my DIS knowledge, a couple of times on this trip.....

VWL1.jpg

Ally felt I should include a photo of the sofa pulled out into a bed - her bed for the two nights.....

VWL91.jpg

Actually one of the more comfy pull out beds I've been in. Not bad at all.

We took a stroll the next morning through the grounds on our way to the boat dock to MK, so I'll go ahead and add those pics now.

VWL95.jpg

VWL92.jpg

VWL93.jpg

VWL94.jpg

What I DID like about WL is it's a very "compact" resort. Everything is right there. The pool is just outside, the dining options are all down a short hallway. And of course the rooms shoot straight up.

Unlike the sprawling values, the even MORE sprawling CSR (which I love btw!), and the hallways that go on for mile and miles at YC and BW. Even all those resorts have the pool a good long walk away from the lodging areas.

Not that I'm complaining....at all. I love that all the resorts are so different, but WL is very convenient.

OK, so we're at the bus stop, waiting for a bus to DHS, right?

Bus for MK.

Bus for Epcot.

Bus for AK.

Bus for DTD.

Bus for AK.

Bus for AK.

Bus for DTD.

Bus for AK.

Now I KNOW this can happen at any resort. But IMHO the best bus transportation is at Pop and CSR. Because neither of those resorts have to share a bus with another resort. And that shortens the length of the trip by a TON!

We found out that the buses were in training that morning, and WL is on the training route. So all those AK buses were in training mode.

After about a 20 minute wait (which technically is how often they say they run), we were en route to DHS!!! AFTER a stop at Fort Wilderness.

VWL94.jpg

I do love WL, and I would stay here again. But it would not be my first choice. Not because of anything that is wrong with the resort, I just found that it is so far removed from every park except MK, that even AKL (which does not share a bus with other resorts) seemed more convenient to me.

But the theming was wonderful! To me, this resort would be great for a large family gathering, as there were wonderful little nooks where folks could gather at the end of the day to compare notes, make plans for the next day, etc.

I found that is is almost identical to AKL is many ways. Unique theming that is so warm and inviting. Fairly "compact" resort. Great dining options within the resort. Great little nooks for relaxing at the end of the day. Bus transportaion to most parks. The only "bad" thing that both resorts share is that they are quite a long distance to most of the parks (WL is close to DHS and MK, AKL is close to AK). Again, in the whole scheme of things, an extra 5-10 minutes is no big deal, but I know a lot of people like location, location, location!

Up next, our day at DHS and a review of HOllywood Brown Derby and the Osborne Family Lights!

Ooo yeah! I was reading your other TR and now I can read this one! Can't wait for the rest of the 12 days of x-mas!

Born Nuts !!!!The insults continue:rotfl2:I hveonly stayed at Popand have to agree their buses are great from th resort, however at MK you need to pack a bag for the LONG haul to the last bus stop !!!:lmao:I don't find POP spread out but then I've only been in 50's ad 60's!I almost styed at POFQ and that is still one want to try!:thumbsup2

Hi girlie!! I am very anxious to see all the Christmas stuff- I am dying to go at Christmas time, but Pods is just not into it- he says it won't be warm enough (this from the man who complained CONSTANTLY about the heat when we were there in September). Sheesh- he's freakin' Goldilocks, there's no pleasin' him!! :rotfl:

Can't wait to see what you did. And whether you were naughty or nice!:rolleyes:

I'm in! Visited Wilderness Lodge for the first time this year and thought it was beautiful. Looking forward to hearing about your trip.
Lx

ellen--my vote is naught. It sounds like the mcSparklsons were opening cans of whoop

Subbing, but please don't hate me as I am a Michigan fan. lol

Who are you and what are you doing on my TR? ;) Oh, funny story.... we have some great friends who are UM fans and I love to remind them of this.... two years ago Santa brought Ally a puppy for Christmas and we named him Buckeye. In honor of Bo Schembechler, when he goes potty outside we taught him to go BoBo. And to do #2? We taught him to.... are you ready? We taught him to.... this is good.... we taught him to..... "M Go Poo"!!!!!!! :rotfl2:

Ooo yeah! I was reading your other TR and now I can read this one! Can't wait for the rest of the 12 days of x-mas!

I've got the first 5 figured out, but I'm stuck on the rest - hopefully I'll be inspired and it will come to me!!!

The Wilderness Lodge is so pretty. I really want to stay there someday! :love:

It really was beautiful. Especially since it was very damp and chilly the first day, and the lodge was so warm and cozy.

Born Nuts !!!!The insults continue:rotfl2:I hveonly stayed at Popand have to agree their buses are great from th resort, however at MK you need to pack a bag for the LONG haul to the last bus stop !!!:lmao:I don't find POP spread out but then I've only been in 50's ad 60's!I almost styed at POFQ and that is still one want to try!:thumbsup2

Actually, I think CSR has the best bus stops. They are all so close to the entrance of the parks except for one (can't remember which one though). Insults? Who, me? :rolleyes1

Joining in. WL looks so beautiful.

It was! The tree in the lobby was HUGE!

Hi girlie!! I am very anxious to see all the Christmas stuff- I am dying to go at Christmas time, but Pods is just not into it- he says it won't be warm enough (this from the man who complained CONSTANTLY about the heat when we were there in September). Sheesh- he's freakin' Goldilocks, there's no pleasin' him!! :rotfl:

Can't wait to see what you did. And whether you were naughty or nice!:rolleyes:

Tell Pods it was 85 and sunny on our last day - it got HOT! December-Feb in Florida is a crap shoot. You just don't know what you're gonna get.

Oh Good Ellen you are here to defend me !!! Kara is spreading rumors about me:rotfl2::lmao:

I know you are but what am I???? ;)

I'm in! Visited Wilderness Lodge for the first time this year and thought it was beautiful. Looking forward to hearing about your trip.
Lx

Again, even MORE beautiful at Christmas! But think about it. Disney. Christmas. Two of the most beautiful things alone, and when you put them together it is pure BLISS!

Yay another TR!!

I think if I put this much effort into cleaning my house it would be spotless!

ellen--my vote is naught. It sounds like the mcSparklsons were opening cans of whoop

And you would be right! We were quite naughty a couple times this trip - but it was in response to REALLY naughty people and yes, we did have to open a can of whoop a$$ a couple of times! :rotfl2:

I am loving reading about your adventure! We went to WDW last Christmas (19th thru the 29th) and loved it! We stayed at the WL. They upgraded us from a room with a queen and a set of bunkbeds....we have a 16yr old son..his feet hung out the end of the bunk beds by almost a foot! lol...anyways we were on the side closest to the water and the GF and Polynesian. So a tree view. Well, they upgraded us to 2 queen beds and we had a view of the pool court area! it was awesome! The tree in the lodge was huge and beautiful! And the weather was perfect in December. I so want to go back in December again.

Loved the WL so much that this last July I took my best friend there after we went to the 4th of July Daytona race. Now that was a hot muggy week we were there! It thundershowered every afternoon. And we got there the afternoon after the monorail worker was killed. So no monorail for a day and a half. The buses were moving rather well and fast considering.

We must have been lucky...no issues with transportation for us. We got everywhere in great time...and no rude people.

Can't wait to hear more..... :)

WL looks beautiful! Can't wait to read more!

A four day weekend and no family in town until AFTER Christmas, means I should have more time to update my TR!

Ellen she is claiming innocense !!!:rotfl2::rotfl2:

What, is Ellen the mom now??? Rosie is telling on me!!!!

I am loving reading about your adventure! We went to WDW last Christmas (19th thru the 29th) and loved it! We stayed at the WL. They upgraded us from a room with a queen and a set of bunkbeds....we have a 16yr old son..his feet hung out the end of the bunk beds by almost a foot! lol...anyways we were on the side closest to the water and the GF and Polynesian. So a tree view. Well, they upgraded us to 2 queen beds and we had a view of the pool court area! it was awesome! The tree in the lodge was huge and beautiful! And the weather was perfect in December. I so want to go back in December again.

Loved the WL so much that this last July I took my best friend there after we went to the 4th of July Daytona race. Now that was a hot muggy week we were there! It thundershowered every afternoon. And we got there the afternoon after the monorail worker was killed. So no monorail for a day and a half. The buses were moving rather well and fast considering.

We must have been lucky...no issues with transportation for us. We got everywhere in great time...and no rude people.

Can't wait to hear more..... :)

Living in Florida, I know how hot and humid it can be in the summer. That's why we opted for the Florida resident season passes which have us blacked out from mid June through mid-August. I can't imagine fighting the crowds AND the heat then! And our weather was very cool and damp the first day. High in the upper 50's which isn't bad but it was so damp that it just chilled us to the bone! Then the next two days were Florida chamber of commerce days. 70's one day and then mid 80's the next but sunny and dry!!!

Living in Florida, I know how hot and humid it can be in the summer. That's why we opted for the Florida resident season passes which have us blacked out from mid June through mid-August. I can't imagine fighting the crowds AND the heat then! And our weather was very cool and damp the first day. High in the upper 50's which isn't bad but it was so damp that it just chilled us to the bone! Then the next two days were Florida chamber of commerce days. 70's one day and then mid 80's the next but sunny and dry!!![/QUOTE]

Actually the crowds weren't bad I was amazingly surprised! For July 5th thru the 12th. I mean even walking in Epcot the walkways were very bare! :yay: We knew that about 2pm the rain would hit so we started planning our days to do outside stuff until then. Around 2 we would do inside rides, a nice lunch or the shows. One day we even did a hotel tour! That is all we did...toured all the hotels! It was so fun! It rained off and on all that day tho'. We were never cold just usually wet, which after a while you get crabby especially when your wet and hot from the mugginess. Is that a word? If not it is now :rotfl2: Christmas week was definately busier with people, but you learn what parks to stay out of on christmas day. :santa: Mainly MK. AK wasn't too busy Christmas day...great day of fun and not bad on the crowds. We did have one day where the wind blew and I had to buy a sweatshirt it was so cold- upper 50's low 60's. Otherwise it stayed in the 74 to 82 degree range the whole time.

Nice update. WL is one of the few resorts I'd never stay at...the rooms are just not appealing to me at all for some reason. Of course, I also said that about the BoardWalk last year and I just got back from a trip there and loved it so I guess I should never say never!

Just dropping in to say that I'm subscribing! How nice to be able to just take a two hour drive to WDW for the weekend. I would LOVE that!! We were in WDW that same weekend. :-) That was the weekend it really warmed up and I was wishing I had packed more shorts & t-shirts! Look forward to reading more. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter