On-Site vs Off-Site

qman

DIS Veteran
I am in the pre-planning stages of our next trip to WDW, we've been twice before. We are a family of four (45, 44, 15 & 13).

During our first trip (in 2003) we stayed in one room at the CBR and were to close for comfort. For our last trip (2005) we got adjoining rooms at the CSR. It was much nicer but obviously much more expensive.

While we can afford to pay for two rooms I'm wondering if it's really worth the money. We can't go back to one room, it would not be worth the pain and suffering that would go along with it.

So what are my options?

I figured a two bedroom suite off-site would (even with the cost of rental car figured in) would save us at least $1,000 for a week's stay. We've loved being on-site so I hate to give that up.

So is being on-site worth the $1,000?

Pros of staying on-site: no fee for parking, early entry, guarenteed admission into the parks, Mickey Mouse soap/shampoo

Pros for staying off-site: CHEAPER!!!!! wider variety of food, acsess to PEPSI, down/quiet time

I could say the negative of on-site vs off-site, but I'll leave that to someone else. We usually stay off-site, but occassionally stay on-site.

That depends on how much $1000 is worth to you.

I stay off-site as much as I stay on-site. For me, money is the deciding factor - if I CAN afford to stay on-site, I do. If I CAN'T, then I stay off-site rather than not going at all or shortening my trip.

I'n not as picky on my hotel as some folks are, but I do like my comfort. I've found plenty of nice, clean, well-maintained hotels in the WDW area with lots of amenities and more space than the Disney Values for half the price, and all so close that the difference in travel time is completely inconsequential.

I would get something nice and big offsite, especially since this isn't a once-in-a-lifetime trip for you. We're staying in a 3/3 pool home this Christmas that costs $750 including tax. If you don't care for it you can go back to staying onsite.

We have done both. You can get a very nice, spacious 2 bedroom suite for about the same as 1 mod room during value season, or even less.

Our most recent trip, we did 5 nights in Fort Wilderness Cabins (at rack rate due to dining plan). This was 267/nt with tax, for our 1st 5 nts.

Then we switched for the last 8 nts to a 2bdrm timeshare (our own timeshare, cost at time of stay was zero).

I didn't have the budget to stay the entire time onsite. But if I could afford onsite the entire time, I would do it.

Difference in cost:
car rental - 150/wk add if offsite
parking - 10/day add if offsite
food - depends on whether or not you have a kitchen onsite, we did some cooking which probably saved us 500/wk for offisite

Difference in enjoyment, functionality:
easier for party to separate and meet back up at room if you are onsite. This is pretty difficult to do if you are offsite, regardless of ages, due to transportation.

Disney transportation can be easier to deal with than driving around - we got lost a lot.

I like Disney resorts in general, anyway. Timeshare is very nice, but not disney.

you might consider the cabins, they have 2 rooms and are cheaper than 2 mod rooms, if you don't get dining plan then you can probably get some kind of code also.

We had never stayed in them til this time, my family voted the cabins better than even OKW, our former favorite. We were a party of 6: myself, dh, dd21, dd12, ds17, plus gd1. kids slept in bedroom, we slept in murphy, we made great use of the kitchen & loved the resort.

We have a 2 bd executive suite at the Dolphin for 584.50/night with AAA. It's 1400 sq ft-so about the size of some pool houses. I consider the Dolphin onsite.This suite is regularly about 1400.00/night. It can't hurt to call with your dates and get a quote.

I have done both. Our first family trip, we stayed offsite because at the time we had a 5 year old and 2 year old, we thought that we could put the kids to bed at a decent hour and not have to go to bed when they did. Having the suite really helped in that respect. Plus you could not beat the price. Our second time we wanted to stay onsite. In fact we were offered free accomdations with relatives and turned it down to stay on site. I hands down know we made the right choice. Which was better? On site by far, because I loved the bus transporation and being wrapped in Disney 24 hours a day. However, I have to tell you that staying offsite was not that bad at all. If you do stay offsite, I have one recommendation stay somewhere close to the gates. We were 3 miles from the gates and it was great. If it menat saving $1000 and you had more space, I would go for offsite. It is not bad. Try it, if you hate it, don't do it again.

We just returned from the All Star Music family suite. We really enjoyed it. It was on-site, had plenty of room and not that expensive. It was our first time staying on site and we really enjoyed the transportation and the extra hours in the park.

We have done both. I have to say that I have enjoyed my trips just as much whether we were on or off site.

There is a certain "feeling" to staying onsite and we always use the transportation, so that is a bonus for us. The Disney resorts have such beautiful surroundings and it is easier to "just get out of the room for a bit" and explore the resort than at the offsite resorts we've stayed at.

We usually go for 2 weeks and we are thinking of splitting our next stay (1 week offsite and 1 week on). Offsite is easier for visiting other parks and it seems like we do get a little more rest.

I can see the advantages to both, but I'm like you...I always wonder if the extra $$$ involved is really worth it. At least for our next trip, it will only be DH, myself, and DS, so 1 room will be fine for us, but when we've needed the extra room, the suites we had offsite were well worth it for us!

There already are several differing opinions as there should be because each family's circumstances are different. And here is mine:

To me $1,000 to be on-site is very much worth it!!! And we are a family of very modest means. If staying on-site means fewer trips, fine. I'll wait. When I go to Florida, it is for a WDW trip - not a Florida vacation - and I want to be immersed in it all day, every day. I love the parks, but staying at a Disney resort and dining at Disney restaurants are also a big part of the enjoyment of the trip.

Last year I spent part of my week's vacation at a two bedroom timeshare at Orange Lake with my niece. She loves the space. I hated leaving WDW every night and parking in the parking lots and riding in a car. I'm a big fan of Disney transportation, too :)

On our first trip, our kids were two years older than yours are now. We, also, splurged for two rooms then and have done so ever since. It made for such a relaxing trip. We've had two rooms at POFQ, Pop and WL in value season with an AP rate. Naturally, we liked the four sink options the best. Our son and I liked Pop - DH and DD, not so much.

If some want to sleep in one day or go back to rest or swim, it's so convenient. I think it makes the days more stress-free.

Good luck deciding!!!

Are your children the same sex or are you and DH each willing to sleep with a child? The reason I ask is you could consider renting points for a 1 bedroom at a DVC resort.

Personally, I prefer onsite for many reasons but if it is offsite or no trip, you'll find me offsite

We've always stayed on site. Once we're in Disney World, we stay there. When I'm on vacation I don't want to have to deal with getting in the car, dealing with traffic...too much like our everyday lives. I'd rather wait longer inbetween trips, save up extra money and stay on site. I like to keep that magic as long as possible. I don't want to step back into reality until I'm on the way to the airport for our return flight. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter