• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

On RnR - could we get a rider switch pass at the chicken exit?

CarolynFH

DIS Veteran
We're bringing DS and his family to WDW next month. DGS 8 is hesitant about riding RnR but is willing to go through the line with everyone (we would have FP) and then decide at the loading dock whether to ride or not. My concern is that if he decides not to ride, the adult who goes through the "chicken exit" with him will in effect lose their FP. Would there be a possibility of getting a rider switch pass at the loading dock, so the adult who waits with him can ride afterwards? He definitely meets the height requirement, but only by an inch or so. And I'm not sure he or his mom would be comfortable with him waiting by himself in the gift shop - it will be their first trip to WDW and first day in the parks.

Anyone have experience with a similar situation?

:thanks:

Rider switch is only suppoes to be for children too short to ride. Some people have had success getting one outside of that but YMMV.

Have a great trip!

Last edited:
You certainly can ask nicely. I remember reading here that the CM let someone basically hand out near the chicken exit door with their kid until the next parent got finished and then that person rode, but that's definitely the exception and I wouldn't count on it.
For whatever its worth (which is exactly nothing) we just got back from a trip with DS, age 7. I'm totally confident he would have been fine sitting in the gift shop for a few minutes while the rest of us rode.

A few years ago we were able to do this at Test Track. DD, DH, and I had FP's. When we got near the front of the line, DD (who was about 5 at the time) got very scared and didn't want to ride. We told the CM at loading, and he let DH and me take turns riding. DD and I waited in the area of where guests walk out to exit while DH rode. Then he took DD out into the play area after the exit while I rode. So, I would say to try riding but if your DGS gets afraid to ride, just explain to a CM, and they may be able to help you out.

I personally would visit the gift shop first. Get everyone familiar with it. Perhaps choose a cash register area near the exit of the ride. That way if he doesn't ride everyone might be comfy with him leaving on his own.

The little excursions like that when ds was of single rider age (with Disney that starts at 7) have helped turn my kid into the confident dude he is imo. Between safe places like Disney and our Ymca he got little sips of freedom and responsibility. And it was baby steps for me too. At Disney you note the CMs and what they wear in each ride or shop or land and know that they are the people you go to if you get nervous.

If they still have the monitor in the shop where you can see ride pictures (not where you buy them) that would be a place my son would love to be. He thinks it's hilarious. It's also interesting because you can see prior in terror st the beginning of the ride when the pic is taken and compare them to the same people exiting the ride all joyous. That was actually how ds was his first time. I KNEW that the kid loved it, he was telling me so. But when I saw our ride pic with his look of terror I felt terrible even though he was grinning like crazy! He was scared and then he loved it. Could be good for your kidlet.

All that said....when I took the same scared kid out of the line at dinosaur, the CM was so pleased with me (I didn't just go backwards in the line; I waited until we got to a CM by a door) that she gave me a FP so I could ride later. Not a swap pass but a fast pass. So that's possible for you too.

I personally would visit the gift shop first. Get everyone familiar with it. Perhaps choose a cash register area near the exit of the ride. That way if he doesn't ride everyone might be comfy with him leaving on his own.

The little excursions like that when ds was of single rider age (with Disney that starts at 7) have helped turn my kid into the confident dude he is imo. Between safe places like Disney and our Ymca he got little sips of freedom and responsibility. And it was baby steps for me too. At Disney you note the CMs and what they wear in each ride or shop or land and know that they are the people you go to if you get nervous.

If they still have the monitor in the shop where you can see ride pictures (not where you buy them) that would be a place my son would love to be. He thinks it's hilarious. It's also interesting because you can see prior in terror st the beginning of the ride when the pic is taken and compare them to the same people exiting the ride all joyous. That was actually how ds was his first time. I KNEW that the kid loved it, he was telling me so. But when I saw our ride pic with his look of terror I felt terrible even though he was grinning like crazy! He was scared and then he loved it. Could be good for your kidlet.

All that said....when I took the same scared kid out of the line at dinosaur, the CM was so pleased with me (I didn't just go backwards in the line; I waited until we got to a CM by a door) that she gave me a FP so I could ride later. Not a swap pass but a fast pass. So that's possible for you too.

Yes, I'm thinking a pre-ride visit to the gift shop and exit area will definitely be in order. And thanks for pointing out the difference between the photo and the folks exiting! We have multiple photos of us riding, so we can make sure he sees them before the trip, and we can talk to him and his mom (he's a step-DGS) about him waiting alone. Hopefully we'll all be comfortable with what we do. Actually, I'm hoping he'll decide to ride and end up loving RnR!

Three years ago I took my son (age 3 almost 4) on Splash Mountain using FP+. He completely flipped out after we were in our log. He actually scrambled out just after the ride started moving. They stopped the ride for us and we got off. I asked the CM if there was anyway to get my FP back since I didn't get to ride and he handed me a ride swap ticket. I have no clue if that was just him being nice or if it is standard procedure in those circumstances.

Yes, it was pretty terrifying. I tried with all my stength to hold onto him but he had suddenly decided he was not going to do it and was insanely strong. Thankfully this was near the start of the ride and the CMs saw it as it happened and stopped the ride. I was shocked as he seemed ok with it in the line, a little nervous but also excited.

I just wanted to say, if he's hesitant, I would bet that he's not going to want to ride when he gets to the loading area. As someone who has only barely been convinced to ride RNR in the past, watching folks shoot into that tunnel at 60 miles per hour is not comforting!

But Test Track and Splash the load and unload are in the same position, allowing for hanging out. Not the case with RnR. I personally wouldn't push him, just split your group to each ride with their FP+ while he waits with the other.

I hope we encounter understanding CMs this summer if my 4-year-old balks at any of the bigger rides. She's over 40" now but as of last summer (the last time we went to an amusement park) she was very hesitant about rides in general. There's a big difference between 3 and 4 though, and we'll try to hit up some local parks or fairs before our Disney trip to see how she does. I also plan to start showing her ride videos a few months in advance and talk up how she's big enough now to go on these rides with us.

The need to be under the height requirement in order to use rider switch is absolutely not true. I just went up to as CM at AK last week and asked that very question. My daughter is clearly tall enough to ride Everest but was just too scared to ride. The CM said "absolutely!" we could do rider switch! All we had to do was get in line as a family, tell the CM at the entrance to the line that we wanted to do rider switch, and then he gave my husband a hang tag. My husband and two sons then went on the ride and the CM farther down the line took the hang tag and gave him a ticket instead. They then got off the ride and handed me the ticket. The ticket entitles three people to ride again using the fast pass line, so I got to go on it with my 2 sons, who ended up enjoying that bonus. Worked out easily for all - we did this again at other parks with no issues at all.

ETA: The CM did not act like she was doing us some sort of special "favor;" she acted as if this was the standard policy. Same with other CMs at other parks.

The need to be under the height requirement in order to use rider switch is absolutely not true. I just went up to as CM at AK last week and asked that very question. My daughter is clearly tall enough to ride Everest but was just too scared to ride. The CM said "absolutely!" we could do rider switch! All we had to do was get in line as a family, tell the CM at the entrance to the line that we wanted to do rider switch, and then he gave my husband a hang tag. My husband and two sons then went on the ride and the CM farther down the line took the hang tag and gave him a ticket instead. They then got off the ride and handed me the ticket. The ticket entitles three people to ride again using the fast pass line, so I got to go on it with my 2 sons, who ended up enjoying that bonus. Worked out easily for all - we did this again at other parks with no issues at all.

ETA: The CM did not act like she was doing us some sort of special "favor;" she acted as if this was the standard policy. Same with other CMs at other parks.

Before this thread spirals ............

I have been refused the Rider Switch for my disabled DS because he is an adult (and not too small to ride) even though he is obviously unable to stay alone. Many others have been refused as well. And honestly, they should as it allows folks to double their FP+ bookings.

The Disney website says only TWO folks can return on the pass. I think we all hear they have allowed three like yourself against published policy. Sadly there is no consistent policy based on the inaccuracy of the website and the variable training/implementation of the CMs. There is clearly NO Standard Policy especially since they don't even follow their own published policy.

I would plan well and be prepared for any kind of response if requesting a pass for a guest big enough to ride.

Last edited:
Before this thread spirals ............

I have been refused the Rider Switch for my disabled DS because he is an adult (and not too small to ride) even though he is obviously unable to stay alone. Many others have been refused as well. And honestly, they should as it allows folks to double their FP+ bookings.

The Disney website says only TWO folks can return on the pass. I think we all here they have allowed three like yourself against published policy. Sadly there is no consistent policy based on the inaccuracy of the website and the variable training/implementation of the CMs. There is clearly NO Standard Policy especially since they don't even follow their own published policy.

I would plan well and be prepared for any kind of response if requesting a pass for a guest big enough to ride.
I believe the paper passes themselves have "valid for up to 3 guests" or similar wording printed on them, so that's what is allowed even though the website says they are valid for only two guests. I think it would be difficult for Disney to deny boarding to three people when that's what is printed on the pass that the guest is holding.

The rest of the "rules" surrounding Rider Switch do seem to be subject to CM discretion. We were denied a pass at Splash because the standby wait when we approached was under 15 minutes. The CM said this was the policy, even though that was the only time on the whole trip it happened to us. Others have also reported being denied a pass at other rides when the standby wait was short.

I will definitely ask a CM if there is anything they can do for us - either a Rider Swap pass or being allowed to swap at the loading/unloading point - if my youngest is too scared to ride anything that she's tall enough for. I'll have a back up plan in place in case they say no, but I figure it never hurts to ask.

I'm curious if Disney is working on adding the Rider Swap passes to MDE, so they are linked to a guest's ticket/MagicBand and can be limited in some way (a return window like a FP, or only allowing one per attraction per day both seem reasonable). Or if not enough people use them to make it worth the money/time that would take.

I believe the paper passes themselves have "valid for up to 3 guests" or similar wording printed on them, so that's what is allowed even though the website says they are valid for only two guests. I think it would be difficult for Disney to deny boarding to three people when that's what is printed on the pass that the guest is holding.

The rest of the "rules" surrounding Rider Switch do seem to be subject to CM discretion. We were denied a pass at Splash because the standby wait when we approached was under 15 minutes. The CM said this was the policy, even though that was the only time on the whole trip it happened to us. Others have also reported being denied a pass at other rides when the standby wait was short.

I will definitely ask a CM if there is anything they can do for us - either a Rider Swap pass or being allowed to swap at the loading/unloading point - if my youngest is too scared to ride anything that she's tall enough for. I'll have a back up plan in place in case they say no, but I figure it never hurts to ask.

I'm curious if Disney is working on adding the Rider Swap passes to MDE, so they are linked to a guest's ticket/MagicBand and can be limited in some way (a return window like a FP, or only allowing one per attraction per day both seem reasonable). Or if not enough people use them to make it worth the money/time that would take.

The paper passes are printed often and don't all say the same thing so that could easily change any given day but yes, whatever it says you can do. My point was more Disney having no standard policy. That said I've seen where paper passes are not used so guests are at CM discretion.

I would love to see this policy fine tuned and adjusted. We see more and more discussions on how to use it to double FP+ and it can be implemented to stop that. And there are others, such as myself, with true need who are denied.

Print the information directly from the Disney website and carry it with you in case you have a problem with rider switch.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/rider-switch/

Unless the cm feels like it, that won't do any good. Whoever put that up in the site a few years back doesn't work onsite as a ride cm. It's not how they are trained. Ever since the page went up on the site people suggest what you suggest, but cms aren't going to go against their training because some IT intern put wrong info on the site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter