On-Ride Photography?

Here is one from POTC I took with no flash, night setting. The problem is, you have to hold the camera very still for these which is tricky to do on a boat. I also don't hold my camera up and out in front of people, I just keep it near me.

POTC2W.jpg

ohhhh, my DD and i had to move 3 times during the fireworks one show to get behind a group of people not ruining the fireworks show by extending their cameras and phones into our line of sight! Why can't people (not the OP of course, people in general) just enjoy the moment! Otherwise just two words people "you tube".

Here is one from POTC I took with no flash, night setting. The problem is, you have to hold the camera very still for these which is tricky to do on a boat. I also don't hold my camera up and out in front of people, I just keep it near me.

POTC2W.jpg

Looks good to me! Hopefully I'll be able to keep my arm still as well! :thumbsup2

ohhhh, my DD and i had to move 3 times during the fireworks one show to get behind a group of people not ruining the fireworks show by extending their cameras and phones into our line of sight! Why can't people (not the OP of course, people in general) just enjoy the moment! Otherwise just two words people "you tube".

I'd never try to take pictures of the fireworks. Well, maybe I'd TRY, but things like that always appear really strange and blurry on my camera. :confused3

I'd never try to take pictures of the fireworks. Well, maybe I'd TRY, but things like that always appear really strange and blurry on my camera. :confused3

I highly recommend getting a tripod for any fireworks shots :D The blurriness is because of the shutter speed needed to capture enough light so you get the "motion" of what you're trying to capture which includes any miniscule movement you make. Tripods greatly cut down on that ;) I took mine for the first time this past weekend and I am in love with the hundreds of photos I took.

The funniest thing I saw on my recent trip, was on our first ride in the new IASW. A mom and two daughters were in front of us. The mom took flash pictures of every scene, then would lean and show the picture to her DDs. So they spent a third of the ride looking at pictures of the ride!

That's funny. To want to see pics of the ride while you are still on it. I'd rather see the real thing.

I had just got a new camera and was testing out the different settings.

Here is one from Nemo. Again no flash, otherwise all you would see is the flash reflected in the window. The quality of the picture has been decreased for the web. It came out very clear. Can't remember if this was night setting or not. I think it might be.

Nemo.jpg

Thanks, magicallyDisney001! It means a lot to your fellow DL fans to have a flash-free ride. :flower3:

To those that still justify using your flash:

• The blinding white light is visually distracting. Camera flashes in dark, dimly lit rides are analogous to cell phone calls in a movie theatre. How would you like to be engrossed in a great movie and constantly interrupted by a shrill ringtone? Again and again?
  • It creates temporary blindness in the visual field for those who happen to see the flash.
  • The flash temporarily washes out the beautiful colors of the ride and removes the shadows and natural highlights which provides textural effects.
  • While your eyes are focused on the camera, you failed to notice your surroundings and that your flash filled the room with bright light, removing any sense of realism that the Imagineers worked so hard to create.

Be courteous. Turn off your flash. If you need pictures of the kiddos, take them outside. There are many GREAT outdoor picture sites to choose from!

*makes fresh batch of popcorn* popcorn::

Not to belabor the point, but here are a few pics that I took sans flash on our latest trip.....they were in a variety of places like.....

Nemo. Like the PP said, flashes are useless against the glare of the glass windows but no flash will give you a great back-lit image
DSCN6826.jpg

Playhouse Disney On Stage. There were lots of flashes going off but they were unnecessary as the stage was well lit.
DSCN6931.jpg

It's A Small World. All of the "dark" rides have lots of color and brightly lit images. If you time it right you can get a good image that is not "washed out" by a flash.
DSCN7069.jpg

The Enchanted Tiki Room. With all the seats facing center, imagine if flashes were going off all over the place! This was taken purely with the lights they provided for the show....
DSCN7105.jpg

Sure, some of the images blur in low light, and some things are just too dang dark to get to show up at all, but those are the things you just have to commit to memory....and heck, if you could take photos of everything you love then you couldn't use the excuse of needing to see them again to plan a return trip! :thumbsup2

You are NOT I repeat with much umph NOT allowed to take flash on ANY dark ride that's ANY no flash it ruins the ride for others its considered rude and against Disney polices.

Thanks again everyone! I managed to get some great pics of IASW WITHOUT flash. I did hear them say "no flash" on some of the rides, so I made sure my flash was off. I never would use flash when they explicitly tell me not to, just wanted to know for those rides that they don't say anything.

Funny story, we went on POTC (10 minute wait! Yes!!) and I heard them say at the beginning "Please no flash photography." (My camera batteries were nearly drained anyway, so I didn't try to use it) Well, halfway through the ride, what do you know, FLASH FLASH! :eek: A CM had to come on the intercom right in the middle of all the "Yo ho's" to say "Flash photography is not allowed on the ride. Please turn off your flash." Some lady in the front row of our boat was saying "I know that..." and put away her camera. :confused3

Just wanted to share that and to say, THANKS SO MUCH DISers! :thumbsup2

Very good! Would love to see some of your pics!

I've been on POTC many times with flashes everywhere but I have never heard anyone come on the intercom to remind them!

Awesome! Glad you got some great pics and def. share them w/ us! :)

That's great news that a CM got on the PA and reminded riders to not use their flash. *yay!!* :yay:

Here are a few of my pics from IASW. The problem with most of these, though, was not lack of light, but my lack of arm steadiness. So here are the better ones (Sorry for any fuzziness! And sorry the pictures are so big! I couldn't figure out how to make them smaller.)

The happiest cruise to sail 'round the world
2nte4qr.jpg

Sun
2yvox7n.jpg

I could never figure out what this guy is. A lizard? A dragon? A dinosaur? A crocodile?
5y7wxl.jpg

And finally....

Woody, Bullseye, and Jessie
155m2qw.jpg

Great pics! Glad you were able to get some good ones without a flash. We've been on POTC many times recently with flashes going off everywhere. I just realized that amazingly, when we went on Monday, there was no one on our boat taking flash pictures. DBIL took some pictures but without flash (he's a professional photographer and has a big fancy camera).

Sorry to anyone who was in our boat on IASW. DSIL was taking flash pictures like crazy. I could have said something except that I'm a big chicken and she's the type who would probably keep taking pictures anyway. Although I don't like it, flash pictures aren't as bad on IASW as they are on POTC since it is so bright in there anyway. It's not as blinding as it is on pirates.

That's the tricky part with using night settings, one little movement and it blurs. Very hard to stay steady on a boat. :) But you got some good ones. I can't wait to see the new IASW.

<<Yes to IASW, TSMM, Fantasyland Dark Rides, Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Monster's Inc. are the ones coming to mind right now.>>

The difference between these rides and rides such POC is that you are often in each "room" of the ride with just your party, so if you take a flash picture you aren't bothering others. (I know, IASW can get backed up, so then there would be others...)

As others have pointed out, though, many of these rides are lit up quite well and if you use a flash, you will wash out the picture. Better to turn off the flash in most cases.

HTH!

Huh, so I don't know. Maybe I'm just a little dumb, but I've been to disneyland 5 times, and have never ever been bothered (or for that matter even noticed!) people taking flash pictures on rides. Maybe I just don't notice details? Lol. Or maybe some people are more sensitive to it, idk. But I can't remember once being annoyed by flashes.

It depends on the situation. I was alone on Pirates so I was in the middle of the boat just a bit to the right. Behind me was a camera flashing. My position made it so that the flash was very obvious and the second time I said firmly, clearly and loudly "No flash, No flasho" then grumbled almost silent "or it goes in the water".:lmao:

Almost every trip through the diorama on the train has flashes blinding people. It depends on the ride but some like Pirates are dark and flash is rather obvioius.

Or it goes in the water. Lol. Hope they heard ;)

Yea, pirates seems like the one everyone says not to use flash on, but I've never noticed it there either. I think I'm blinded by the disney magic! I can't get annoyed at such a fantastic place!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter