On or off property

Tracy Savage

<font color=blue>I really don't know about needy,
I love staying at Disney resorts but money is tight and we are considering staying elsewhere. Is the money difference worth it?

i think that it is worth it, unless there are other situations that make the money very very important. I love EMHs and how easy it is to travel to and from the parks, as well as the airport service. However going to Disney either way is so much fun, im sure your trip will be great :)

We have enjoyed our on and off property trips. We have also mixed the two to balance cost reductions and still get a day or two of EMH benefit.

depends on what your budget is and the time of year and specials disney might have. I stayed at Holiday Inn downtown disney for less than a value and it was great! But sometimes there are great deals for on site to be found.

Whatever you decide you'll have a great time.

The simple answer is that if they have deals on like Free Dining or 30%-40% off rooms stay on-site. At the current full price rack rate for on-site stay off-site if money is tight.

We prefer on-site whenever possible. We use DME and rely on Disney transportation. If we stayed off site we would have to rent a car and possibly pay to park unless it was a year when we had annual passes. We also like the complete submersion in all things Disney. Staying off site ruins that for us.

Yes I definetely think the money is worth it! Staying on site just emerses you in the whole Disney experience. The atmosphere alone is worth all the extra money. Plus, you can go to extra magic hours and Disney transporation. I would never consider staying off property! However, if money is tight, maybe look into the Value resorts if you haven't already? :)

We stayed off property for 2 nights and 8 on property this past May/June.
We payed about the same rate for the Hampton Inn near Universal as we did POP Century.
Pros for offsite: for the same money the quality of the room was better. The beds, the linens, the 2 sink bathroom, fridge, TV, and the size of the room. The had a free breakfast that was great. The pool was sad...fine for the kids to cool off..but it was the size of the average backyard inground pool. We had a lot more food options and they were much more affordable. Obviously there is no theming or Disney Magic. Most morning we shared the dining space with a lot of business folks. The staff was fantastic and the location to Universal was great.
Cons: While we enjoyed our stay offisite for the Universal part of our stay, I honestly didn't feel like our *real* vacation started until we checked into POP. Maybe I have had too much Disney Kool Aid :confused3...but I couldn't wait until we drove onto Disney Property.

If my vacation was strictly Disney - then I would definately stay on Disney Property. BUT there are gazillions of people who have stayed off property and have had fabulous Disney Vacations.

Like a PP noted, time of year would be a huge factor for me. If during the winter holidays, staying on property would be a must. I'm not a huge fan of being away from the magic but given the choice between say one of the Allstar value hotels and a condo or nice Marriott off property, I'd be very tempted to stay off property.

It depends entirely on you and your budget.

I love staying on property, but I feel that going to Disney is better than not going to Disney. Others don't agree.

I've done both, and I prefer to spend the extra money now. However, in a few years, we will likely be staying off-property more. Basically, the switch point for us will be when we outgrow a standard room at Disney. I'm sure we'll still stay on-property sometimes, but it won't be an every trip thing. At that point, we'll probably end up driving to Disney, so the difference won't be as much as it is now, when we fly and rely on Disney transportation the whole time.

Overall, our Disney "budget" will likely remain fairly constant over the years. Right now, staying on property isn't stretching anything. In a few years, we would likely have to go longer between trips if we stay on property. Whereas if we stay off property sometimes, we could go more often.

but I have to say I'm getting very close to staying off property this December. I have reservations for off site, but I keep hoping for free dining and that would pursuade me to come back to Disney. There are rumors of a new promo for late July or early August; so, we wait and see how good the offer will be and if it includes December times and then I'll decide for sure.

I have stayed over 30 times on site and when I was younger I did stay off site, but it's been awhile, but I want value and I'm not seeing it right now at Disney. I got very use to getting value and when Disney would offer free dining I would jump at it and stay at a value to get more bang for my bucks.

My current off site resort gives a wonderful hot breakfast; so, I feel like that's free dining off site to a degree. I know breakfast is cheaper than the other meals, but I could load up enough not to eat until I leave the park most days and dine for cheaper elsewhere. Our room will be three times bigger than a moderate for less money even when I considered park parking. I'm about 6 minutes away form Disney. There is a hotel shuttle to Disney. There's even an evening reception three times a week that includes snacks and I think some liquor like wine and beer. Let me add we are in a 2 BR suite that includes 2 bathrooms and a full kitchen with dishwasher. Those amenities make up for any non-Disney theming for sure for us. If I stay off site Disney will be getting very little of any extra money of mine. I have even thought of bringing some food into the parks. I have an older mom in a wheelchair; so, believe me, I would like the convenience of staying on site, but not at the current prices. I can afford to stay on property, but I'm that fed up with Disney right now to make a move off property. Somehow, I feel I won't be going back any time soon to on site if I leave this time and stay off site.

I really don't feel our economy has recovered enough for Disney to expect you to pay full price or close to it. I need a good deal to stay on site and I'm determined not to cave in.

Thank you all for your input. We are planning a Easter trip and the on site rates are pricey. We will miss it thats for sure but I just can't justify spending $100 extra a night to sleep, really. We like the Mods and to stay at an All Stars during spring break would make me insane! So wish us luck off site! Sorry Disney, maybe next time......

We're staying offsite for the first time next May after several times staying on site. We are a family of 6 and have outgrown all regular rooms. The only places besides villas for us would be the All-Star Music suites or Wilderness Lodge Cabins... or two standard rooms. In the past, we've had free dining for every trip & the savings outweighed the room cost... not sure that will be happen next year.

I'm hoping that we'll still feel the Disney magic. :wizard: I know we're going to have a ton of room/laundry facilities - in our house - a full kitchen/3 bathrooms & a splash pool... and to a mom of 4 that is magical...especially the laundry facilities... :rotfl: On our last trip, we were a little crammed in our mod room and this place will cost less, even with paying for parking.

I really am looking forward to a "different" kind of vacation. (Compared to when we had the dining plan & stayed onsite). I may have a different opinion afterward, but really hope we all love it! Hopefully you'll have a great experience too and feel great about making changes to fit both your budget and desire to visit Disney more often! :)

also, on this thread you will find many "pro on-siters" and on the Orlando Hotels thread you will find many "pro off-siters."
For my family, it comes down to money and space. We cannot stay onsite for less than $1300 for the week (two rooms at a value). Instead, we are staying at Bonnet Creek for $745 for the same week. Bonnet Creek is not a Disney resort, but is on Disney property, right beside CBR. We will have two bedrooms, two baths, a full kitchen, washer/dryer, living room, and dining table. This was the best option for us. We do not attend EMH and we have a car. Bonnet Creek does have free shuttles to the parks, but I think we will drive.

Thank you all for your input. We are planning a Easter trip and the on site rates are pricey. We will miss it thats for sure but I just can't justify spending $100 extra a night to sleep, really. We like the Mods and to stay at an All Stars during spring break would make me insane! So wish us luck off site! Sorry Disney, maybe next time......

Have you considered buying points from a DVC member and then with the kitchen you can cook a few of your own meals at least breakfast and save money that way? Anyways have a great trip.

It's really up to each person. On prop you don't have to rent a car or pay for any transportation. Off you have to either rent a car and drive yourself or you're at the mercy of whatever shuttle you can use from wherever you stay.

On Prop you can use the dining plan to save money. Off you can't.

Lots of pros and cons either way.

Good luck.

We have stayed off resort twice, once in 1996 and said never again, it was a very nice hotel, we did spend a lot of money on it, but it was just not the same. Anyway this year in March we did it again (not sure why) and staying in the Wyndham Lake Buena Vista right outside Downtown Disney. All I can say is we should have remembered what we said on the 1996 trip! It wasn't bad but it just wasn't Disney. BUT I must admit I would rather stay off resort in a nice hotel then stay on resort at a Value one. Have never done the value resort but have visited them all and its def not for us. I love the magic of staying on resort, it just feels right being surrounded by cast members as opposed to just staff from the off resort hotels.:)

Hi OP. I just wanted to say I am sure you will have a great vacation off-site. Our family has been to Disney numerous times. We own a time share in Orlando and find times when we stay on property ONLY when the deals are great. In May, my husband and I stayed on property when they offered 40% off Deluxes. That was a wonderful anniversary trip. This September we are taking a mini-trip on property to take advantage of the free dining with our two teenage boys. It makes sense to us to stay on property when we can save substantially. On top of saving on the room or free dining, we factor in car rental, gas and parking fees.

When there aren't GREAT deals, we love staying at our time share. Larger space, save on food and seem to have a more relaxed pace as we tend not to leave and come back to parks later. I think the key to having a great trip is researching a good off site property that will offer amenities that you and your family enjoy AND your expectations for your trip. If you plan your trip with the mindset that it won't be magical because we are not on site, than it could influence the experience you have.

I think you will have a fabulous vacation!!

There is really nothing like being on Disney property! There is the extra magic hours, which, depending on when you travel can be the only way to ensure that you get on rides! Disney is always offering some type of discount or package deal. They usually come out every 6 months. Stay at a value resort if you are low on cash! Better to be on Disney property than off....and MOST CERTAINLY get the meal plan!!!!!

We like the Mods and to stay at an All Stars during spring break would make me insane! So wish us luck off site! Sorry Disney, maybe next time......
For about the price of a Value Resort in Peak Season (e.g. Easter) you can *easily* get a 2BR condo, or larger. Even after you throw in a rental car and theme park parking, it's still going to be a very competitive deal.

About half my stays are onsite (in DVC villas), and about half are off. Honestly, there isn't a huge difference between the two sorts of trips. You'll have a great time, especially if you go into it with an open mind.

There is the extra magic hours, which, depending on when you travel can be the only way to ensure that you get on rides!
I've been to WDW during President's Week and Peak July Summer. If you tour sensibly, it is trivial to see everything you want to see with minimal waits. Follow one of TouringPlans.com's guides, and you'll be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter