On Fence: Love Disney But Not Parks

mdmom2004

Earning My Ears
The family (DH and two daughters, 6 and 5) are just back from WDW. DH and I have decided we love the "Disney Magic" and want to buy a timeshare, but we've also decided we are not big park-goers. In other words, the best part of our vacation was just being together as a family in nice surroundings. Our best days were those where we slept in late, did miniature golf, arts and crafts, strolled DTD, Boardwalk, etc. etc. The park days just weren't as enjoyable.

My question: do any DVC'ers just go down to hang out in the nice resorts and soak up the sun, pools, general atmosphere, without doing marathons in the parks?

If we buy, we'd probably do a resale into HH (we're off-seasoners) - I'm thinking our travel pattern might be as follows: HH trip 1, Vero trip 2, Cruise trip 3, OKW (or BVC or WL, etc.) trip 4 (with only MK or Epcot for one or two days during that trip), Concierge trip 5, and then repeat the cycle.

I feel weird buying into DVC w/out planning to regularly "do" the parks. Anyone else in this boat? Since we're not "wedded" to the parks, should we look into Marriott etc. to give us more flexibility?

Help! Thanks!

- Cathie in Maryland

DVC are generally good for WDW lovers.

Now sometimes I don't go to a park (might change that with the new discount DVC member get on the annual pass) - or at the most one or two days - that is why I LOVE OKW....

you don't feel the pressure to go to the parks!

DVC is very expensive, so are the annual fees, for a non-WDW nut I am sure it would be worth it for you.

try renting points at HH or OKW and see how you like it. But the big draw of DVC is the WDW area - DD, the theme parks, water parks, etc.

The beauty of DVC is that you do not seem to get the earge to spend so much time in the parks. I totally agree with you, the parks are not as fun especially when you try to see everything in one day and it is very crowded and hot. We like to got to WDW for the enjoyable clean atmosphere and top notch resorts.What we usually do is buy an annual pass and what we manly do is lounge around the pool or play mini put or golf or what ever, during the day and maybe go to a park at night for maybe an hour or maybe even less. We treat the parks as a secondary attraction to the resorts.One of the best kept secrets about WDW is that during the day at the resort quiet pools, it is like a ghost town and it is one truly relaxing vacation. I usually pay more attention to my tan then what is going on at the themeparks. I am really excited about the new Extra magic hours at night though, it is gong to be alot of fun because the parks are the best at night time.

mdmom2004 said:
The family (DH and two daughters, 6 and 5) are just back from WDW. DH and I have decided we love the "Disney Magic" and want to buy a timeshare, but we've also decided we are not big park-goers. In other words, the best part of our vacation was just being together as a family in nice surroundings. Our best days were those where we slept in late, did miniature golf, arts and crafts, strolled DTD, Boardwalk, etc. etc. The park days just weren't as enjoyable.

My question: do any DVC'ers just go down to hang out in the nice resorts and soak up the sun, pools, general atmosphere, without doing marathons in the parks?

If we buy, we'd probably do a resale into HH (we're off-seasoners) - I'm thinking our travel pattern might be as follows: HH trip 1, Vero trip 2, Cruise trip 3, OKW (or BVC or WL, etc.) trip 4 (with only MK or Epcot for one or two days during that trip), Concierge trip 5, and then repeat the cycle.

I feel weird buying into DVC w/out planning to regularly "do" the parks. Anyone else in this boat? Since we're not "wedded" to the parks, should we look into Marriott etc. to give us more flexibility?

Help! Thanks!

- Cathie in Maryland

While we do love the parks, we love the things you mentioned as well. We usually go to the parks half a day and relax the rest or vice versa. We do not worry about getting "the max value" out of our PHP's. We do usually hit all the parks, but take days off to do DTD and laying at the pool. If you like the DVC condos, and think the price is worth the resort, then buy. I have not been to HH or VB, but those are on our list of places to go eventually.

I think many of us are just like you. There are a few attractions that we hit in every park but no way do we do the marathons any more. we still buy the AP passes but mostly to eat in the parks and do a few attractions and fireworks. We take lots of teenage extended family with us that do the marthons.

But the best parts are just staying in the World. Great resorts, great pools, great restaurants, great atmosphere, great rooms, great locations (orlando, HH, Vero). The resorts are attractions in themselves. I love the BW resorts.

I have a number of extended family members who are not crazy about the parks. They loll around the pool or take shopping trips to either the Marketplace or the outlets around the Orlando area. Many of them go to the water parks for a day. A few of them have visited Universal or SeaWorld or driven to Daytona. Some of them golf to their heart’s content.

I love the parks but don’t feel an overwhelming necessity to jump out of bed to get to one every morning. I usually hit the parks on at least two days and shop or take it easy on the others. It depends how long we are staying or if I am giving a “tour” to the novice visitor. :cool1: I am very fair, so visiting a water park for a day is not an option – too much sun for me!

I think owning without being park-crazy is very viable. I would not hesitate!
:flower:

We also don't spend alot of time in the parks. We consider our OKW DVC investment some of the best money we have ever spent. we have children 8,9,13 and they love hanging at the pools, and soaking up the sunshine. We always spend at least one day at the parks doing our favorites, but those days are the exception to the rule.

It's good to know other DVC'ers who are like us. When I hear of people who spend 15 days a year in the parks I just shiver and say " that's not for me ".

Our best friends sort of feel the same way as your family. They looked into DVC but decided the expense and the dues wasn't worth it for their family. They hate crowds and aren't wild about theme parks. Oh, they also hate to wait in lines :D . They have since bought 2 Marriot timeshares within 6 months of each other. One in some new resort in Mrytle Beach and one in a new resort in Aruba. They bought the best season/view etc. so they get excellent trade value and could stay at the Marriots in Orlando pretty easily. DH and I are really bummed they didn't do DVC with us but, we understand everyone isn't as crazy for Disney as we are! :D Our friends just got back from a trip to the Westin in St. John (using one of their timeshare trades). They are happy with their purchase. I would say if you are not 100% sure DVC is for you, explore all other options first. Good Luck! :flower:

mdmom2004 said:

Help! Thanks!

- Cathie in Maryland

Based on our experience, it sounds to me as if DVC would be perfect for you. Before DVC, DH was "Disney tolerant", he liked Disney, but not really the parks. Now that we've joined, and I've slowed down, it's given him the chance to learn to love the "Disney magic" and he does love it. Disney is now a true vacation for us-sitting on the balcony watching the golfers, lying around the pool, soaking up the atmosphere. And I never thought I'd say this, but if I don't spend every waking moment in the theme parks, it's still a great vacation.

You may want to be aware that cruise points aren't static - i.e. the cruise will probably cost you more points in three years than it does now. Same with the concierge collection. And neither feature is a guarenteed part of the DVC system - DVC could stop offering these things.

Vero Beach, in particularly - and to some extent HH - have been available for cash at some really deep discounts.

If you are talking about a WDW DVC trip once every five times you use points, you are better off renting for those trips.

We love WDW...........but with 2 DS's find the parks a bit expensive. So far, we have taken 3 trips via DVC..... one each to HH, VB, and VWL (may parents were also recently treated to 6 nights at VWL). The next time we go (2006), we will most likely stay at OKW. I told DW that we don't have to go to the parks each day............ that we should set aside some days for the DS's to do kid things like play in the pool and ride bikes.

IMO, DVC would be perfect for you.

Good luck!

Dave

While most of our trips have been spent in the parks, both WDW and others, we went down last May for a four day weekend. We did not go to any parks, we stayed at Saratoga Springs with the exception of a few shopping trips.
we found that we actually enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere because we were not constantly rushing from place to place. It may have been because Saratoga had just opened, but I sure am looking forward to a weekend like that again. I do not feel that you have to go to the parks to be a DVC owner/lover.

On our last trip down in Oct. for 9 days, we went to the parks only 3 days for a couple of hours. We went fishing, canoeing, golfing, pools, resorts, etc. We no longer do commando visits to the parks, but just enjoy and relax at the resorts.

I will stick to my opinion - if you aren't going to WDW parks then DVC is very expensive compared to other timeshares in the area.

the big reason to buy DVC is the WDW theme parks.

if I didn't love WDW parks and I wanted to stay in Orlando - just buy a fairly inexpensive timeshare somewhere else and trade to Orlando.

Orlando has a lot of timeshares - so trading to Orlando is not a problem.

Sounds on this thread like we are unusual! We have owned DVC since 1997, and we still visit the parks every day of our stays! This year, we were in the parks 28 days total! We don't do commando anymore, and we never "do it all", but we just love the atmosphere at the parks, and often might go just for dinner and a stroll or to watch one of the fireworks shows or take in a favorite ride or show. We move pretty slowly, and can "smell the roses" along the way. That is OUR idea of a perfect vacation.

We are very happy to do "resort days" especially if we're staying at VWL.

I agree with spiceycat, though, I wouldn't buy into DVC for just the resort experience.

Bobbi :D

I agree with spiceycat, too. Don't buy DVC unless you specifically want to use your points to stay at DVC resorts almost all of the time. There are many less expensive (but good qualifty) timeshares out there that will better suit your vacation plans. My advice is to do some more research before you make your decision.

Best wishes -

mdmom2004 said:

Help! Thanks!

- Cathie in Maryland

I guess we're somewhat like you...or at least I am. I could go to Disney for vacation and be completely happy without visiting the parks. Some of that is due to the fact that we generally go in May or June...and it's hot and somewhat crowded. I'd rather be sitting at the pool than standing in line for a ride. Don't get me wrong...I can enjoy the parks...but it's not always my first choice of entertainment. Of course, my kids love the parks...and DH is usually thrilled to go (roller coasters!).

During a 5 night stay...we might visit the parks 2-3 days (two theme park days and a water park day).

We still love DVC...because of the quality of the properties and the Disney magic of the resorts. If we want to go to the parks, we want to be on-site. With a family of 5...DVC is definitely the way to go.

As others have mentioned...I wouldn't buy DVC and count on using it for cruises or exchanges...it just doesn't make financial sense. You do have the option of renting out your points and paying cash for a cruise or exchange. Something to think about.

I don't think I'd go with DVC if what you like is being at a top-notch resort rather than being in close proximity to Disney. Not that Disney isn't top-notch but the low frequency with which you want to go combined with not being in the park...you'd be better off renting and buying "where you love"...which doesn't sound like it'll be WDW.

You'd be better off shopping around...by that I mean renting DVC points on the rare moment you want to go to WDW, pay cash for cruises (it'd be cheaper anyway) ...and go see the rest of the real World. Also before buying DVC HH visit some of the other timeshares on the island. DVC was relaxing but a bit short on resortiness in my book. I've only stayed at one other home away from home resort in SC...the Wild Dunes on the Isle of Palms.It totally blew away DVC-HHI as far as I was concerned. As far as I know it isn't a timeshare...just a resort where the owners had the option to rent and the corporation handled all the hotel aspects but it was just loverly...you could rent everything from an ocean front hotel room to four bedroom houses. The next time I want to go to the beach I'll only go to HH if I'm using points.

Well I have to say our family purchased DVC in the BWV because we just love the whole package. The parks,the resorts and dtd.We love staying on the property because we enjoy all the little things also.The late nite bus trips back to the resorts sharing your day with complete strangers and the nice feeling you get when everyone smiles when you see the parents carrying the sleeping kids in one arm the stroller in the other and the memories that come flooding back when you did this with your own kids.Disney is truly a magical experience for some and just a theme park to others. Right across the street is the Sheraton Vistana they have 7 pools,stores ,club houses and all kinds of fun things to do and you could buy a resale real cheap. We also rent a vacation home every year for three weeks in August,but nothing for us is the same as staying at the BWV.If you go to Disney for vacation you can stay anywhere but If you can't stop smiling when that first cast member says welcome home I say get the DVC.You either feel it or you don't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter