On Board Photograpers

david a

Earning My Ears
Hi All - we have a family group of over 20 people cruising in June on the 4 day Wonder for our parents' 45th Anniversary. Our 4 families were considering having the ship's photographers do a family portrait. We were informed that we would need to arrange a time when onboard and that we can buy the rights to the photo ($199) to bring it home and have a large portrait (24" x 30" ish) produced for framing for my parents.

A local processing company has told us that in order for the photo to come out well, the photo must be more than 300dpi. My wife is fearful that the vendors that work the ship will just tell us what we want to hear.

Does anyone know if the photos that they take are at least 300 dpi?

Has anyone else done something like this? If so, how did the photo turn out?

Hi, David,

That seems a bit steep to me. Why not take a tripod and set it on timer?

TC:cool1:

TC - we will of course take our own pictures, but we want to make sure that we have it done professionally also - if the quality of photo is available.

It would be nearly impossible to get everyone together like this again if it fails, so we are willing to split the cost to get the pro job.

It will also depend on what they have their camera set on as to what size of print would come out good printed large. For example, if my camera was set on large, fine Jpg I could make a large print. If I had it set on small jpg I could maybe make a nice 8x10. I would talk to them before you do the photo explaining that since you are paying $199.00 you want to make sure that the file can be enlarged to a 24x30. They certainly can get that quality from the cameras that they use. I am sure that the main photographer could make sure that you were getting a file that works for your needs. I hope it all works out for you!

I have made a 20x30 that looks great from a 4368 x 2912 (7.9 MB file) from a Canon 5D so it is possible. I think they use Nikon cameras on board, but not sure. Today's digital cameras can do pretty amazing things. It is just a matter of making sure that they set their cameras correctly to make sure you end up with a good enough file.

Thanks for the feedback.

Anyone actually use the on board photogs files to make a large one?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter