• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

On Board Booking

Cavs49

Earning My Ears
Just trying to get clarification. I have read SO many posts that my brain in scrambled.

We have a cruise scheduled for July 5. It is the Double Dip at Castaway Cay leaving from Port Canaveral. We booked this with a placeholder from a late summer cruise back in 2017. So we are at the end of our 2 year window to get the 10% OBB and $200 OBC.

If we call and change our cruise to next summer when it is more probable that cruises will be taking place (and hopefully safer) can we move the 10% OBB and OBC with us to the cruise? Or do we forfeit those perks since it is outside of the 2 year window to cruise again?

Thanks!!!!

I don't know if they'll move it if you cancel. *I* had an OBB from my last cruise, on the 2020 EBTA that Disney cancelled. I was allowed to move it to 2021 even though it technically should have expired by then.

We also were allowed to move our OBB from a canceled cruise to next May, after the 2 years was up. You might have to call and ask. Who knows what disney might allow to keep you from all out cancelling and asking for a refund!

Did you cancel or did DCL cancel on you?

We also were allowed to move our OBB from a canceled cruise to next May, after the 2 years was up. You might have to call and ask. Who knows what disney might allow to keep you from all out cancelling and asking for a refund!

Just trying to get clarification. I have read SO many posts that my brain in scrambled.

We have a cruise scheduled for July 5. It is the Double Dip at Castaway Cay leaving from Port Canaveral. We booked this with a placeholder from a late summer cruise back in 2017. So we are at the end of our 2 year window to get the 10% OBB and $200 OBC.

If we call and change our cruise to next summer when it is more probable that cruises will be taking place (and hopefully safer) can we move the 10% OBB and OBC with us to the cruise? Or do we forfeit those perks since it is outside of the 2 year window to cruise again?

Thanks!!!!
If you just do a "regular" cancel and rebook of an onboard (placeholder) booking, and the new cruise is after the 2 year booking window (from the original placeholder booking) you cannot apply it.

Currently, cruises that DCL cancels, that have a placeholder/onboard booking perks they will move the perks to the new cruise, regardless if it's still within the 2 year window or not.

If you just do a "regular" cancel and rebook of an onboard (placeholder) booking, and the new cruise is after the 2 year booking window (from the original placeholder booking) you cannot apply it.

Currently, cruises that DCL cancels, that have a placeholder/onboard booking perks they will move the perks to the new cruise, regardless if it's still within the 2 year window or not.
Right, this is what I was told as well. We had an Alaska cruise booked for August 2020 that was booked with an OBB discount back in May 2019. This cruise has not been cancelled (yet).

However, in just a few days we will go past the cancellation date (which is unchanged even though the PIF date has been extended by 30 days), so we needed to make a decision.

We decided to go ahead and cancel. (We didn't rebook because we had actually already booked a backup cruise for a year later in August 2021.) Because we are cancelling (not DCL), the OBB discount was not extended for us. I was told that the only people who are getting the OBB discount extended past the normal 24 months are people who had utilized the discount on cruises that DCL had then cancelled.

Thanks for the responses. Going to be hard to determine what to do. My wife and I were hoping the OBB and OBC would transfer ... and our decision would be easy.

Thanks for the responses. Going to be hard to determine what to do. My wife and I were hoping the OBB and OBC would transfer ... and our decision would be easy.
If it were me, I would really boils down to whether you would be comfortable cruising if the July 5 cruise goes ahead. If there is no way you would cruise, I think it is too risky to hold out for a cancellation. A July cruise to Castaway Cay may well go ahead and sail, especially since it is just to the Bahamas, which is less "messy" logistically than a Europe cruise where there are several countries on the itinerary that may all have different rules about cruise ships docking by July. If, hoever, you would prefer to cruise next year, but would still be willing to go on July 5, it may be worth hanging on to it.

The problem with waiting is that DCL is not announcing cancellations far enough in advance for people to hold out and avoid steep penalties if the cruise does sail. My summer cruise was cancelled when it was in 75% cancellation penalty phase--so if I had waited to cancel, I'd have been waiting around watching that deposit get higher and getting more and more nervous all the while. And if I'd had gone ahead and sailed, I'd have been stuck losing almost my entire fare.

If you don't mind my piggybacking on your post (because my brain is also scrambled)--- we have a cruise in Sept booked via OBB and the discount, for which our 2 years is up in March 2021. So, if we decide to not cruise in September, we shouldn't have to jump through too many hoops to keep our discount if we switch that booking to a cruise in Jan or Feb 2021, correct?
Ugh... I wish I had a crystal ball. I don't think the Sept sailing is going to happen, or not without significant changes to onboard fun, port adventure possibilities, etc. But our PIF date is approaching soon, so I'd almost rather make the change before we've paid it all down and risk losing some of our $.

If you don't mind my piggybacking on your post (because my brain is also scrambled)--- we have a cruise in Sept booked via OBB and the discount, for which our 2 years is up in March 2021. So, if we decide to not cruise in September, we shouldn't have to jump through too many hoops to keep our discount if we switch that booking to a cruise in Jan or Feb 2021, correct?
Ugh... I wish I had a crystal ball. I don't think the Sept sailing is going to happen, or not without significant changes to onboard fun, port adventure possibilities, etc. But our PIF date is approaching soon, so I'd almost rather make the change before we've paid it all down and risk losing some of our $.
If you want to change (CHANGE not CANCEL) the Sep cruise and move it at the same time to new cruise, as long as the new cruise is before your 2 years is up from the original booking date (Mar 2021) then. Now that's if you make the change from cruise to another.

I'm not sure what happens to an OBB if you cancel the cruise (if it returns to your account as a placeholder, or you just get the money back and it's canceled along with the reservation.

If you want to change (CHANGE not CANCEL) the Sep cruise and move it at the same time to new cruise, as long as the new cruise is before your 2 years is up from the original booking date (Mar 2021) then. Now that's if you make the change from cruise to another.

I'm not sure what happens to an OBB if you cancel the cruise (if it returns to your account as a placeholder, or you just get the money back and it's canceled along with the reservation.

Confirming that I have moved cruises with a placeholder several times and was always told it has to be a change rather than a cancellation (for example, one time I went from a more to less expensive cruise after I had paid it all but before the official PIF, and in that case I was refunded the difference, but it still had to be processed as a change). The placeholder is tied to your reservation number which you are assigned in that original email you get confirming your placeholder, so if you make a new reservation you'll get a new reservation number and it will no longer have the placeholder benefits.

if dcl cancels your cruise you can move your placeholder even if it expires.

if You decide to move your cruise with a placeholder beyond the expiration date you lose it.

im in this situation for my September cruise. I want to push it out, but the placeholder expires February 2021 and I wanted to book May 2021. I will cancel next month before PIF date but hoping dcl will change the rule.

If you cancel a cruise that has an OBB, you lose the OBB. The only way to keep it is to change the reservation to another date that is within the 2 year window.

The only exception is that DCL is currently allowing people to keep the OBB for cruises that DCL has cancelled regardless of whether the new cruise is outside the 2 year window. But you have to use the FCC option to keep the OBB. If you take the refund option, you lose the OBB.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter