Omg

I am sorry to hear about what happened. I think you should still take the trip. When you get your new job ( and you will ) it will be a while before you can take paid vacation leave. So seeing as it is paid already you may as well enjoy it

Just a question - in Canada we have government paid employment insurance for lay offs. It is only a percentage of the total company pay, but it helps while one is looking for a job. Does the USA have the same provision?

If you are planning on driving down and parking at the port - perhaps you should take a look at one of the Disney Resort rooms ( I think they are offering a discounted room only rate ).

Good luck in your job search

All I can say is wow, I can't thank everyone enough. I have worked on my resume and have it updated pretty one, tried to upload on monster but I guess I made an account with my email addy once a upon a time and now the forgot password link don't work. I am trying to update references right now. I am all for starting to look in the near future, what just stinks is that I had a lot of time off with my old job so I had alot planned in May/June not sure what to do about concert tickets. I think we are really going to go ahead with the trip, we have 2 weeks planned to do different things, all is paid in full and I have gas money/spending money already set back. I am trusting the man upstairs to help guide me in this whole process. If anyone has any further suggestions feel free to let me know, all advice is helpful. We had planned to parasail at castaway but we may be canceling that one. Now I need a cheaper option for the night before the cruise, right now at country inn and suites our room is over 200

I would go ahead with your trip. I have been laid off for nearly two years and haven't had one interview yet. I'm getting frantic about finding a job soon. The one thing that kept me sane was looking forward to vacations.

Good luck in your search and I hope something comes along soon for both of us.

I am so sorry! What terrible timing!

The good news is that from what I've heard - nursing is one of the industries that is totally hiring everywhere. I'm in Atlanta and I know that nurses are in high demand. I would just make finding a job your FT job, and an employer will understand that you are gone for a week unpaid right after you start, if you tell them that it has been planned, it is nonrefundable, etc.

Right now while you have some funds coming in, I would start to prepay whatever you can on the ship. You can prepay your tips, you can prepay a photo package. We just went on a cruise and expensive as it was, I couldn't believe the charges that we racked up ON the ship! It was crazy! So - to spare yourself of this type of surprise after the fact, I would do what you can to try to prepay things before you get carried away "in the moment."

If you drink, bring alcohol on board instead of buying. Scrape together pennies for a souvenier fund. Eliminate or downsize the excursions - those aren't prepaid.

If you don't have a job before you go, you will have one soon after you get back, I'm sure...

Good luck!

Just a question - in Canada we have government paid employment insurance for lay offs. It is only a percentage of the total company pay, but it helps while one is looking for a job. Does the USA have the same provision?

Yes, but it is (as I recall) a much smaller percentage, and it doesn't last as long as in Canada (as I remember).

The more serious problem in the US is that, unlike Canada, if you lose your job you lose your health insurance. So, when you are most likely to have health problems from the stress, you can afford your treatment the least.

Yes, but it is (as I recall) a much smaller percentage, and it doesn't last as long as in Canada (as I remember).

The more serious problem in the US is that, unlike Canada, if you lose your job you lose your health insurance. So, when you are most likely to have health problems from the stress, you can afford your treatment the least.

That is a terrible thing to lose one's health insurance on top of losing a job.

To the OP - I agree with a previous poster - get some sleep tonight and start anew tomorrow. Here's hoping good news comes your way sooner than later!

That is a terrible thing to lose one's health insurance on top of losing a job.

To the OP - I agree with a previous poster - get some sleep tonight and start anew tomorrow. Here's hoping good news comes your way sooner than later!

Yes, it is. You can keep what's called COBRA insurance, but it's usually over $300 a month just for ONE person! For a family, FORGET IT!!! And if you're on layoff and surviving on unemployment benefits, then you CANNOT afford COBRA!

Hopefully her DH has insurance for the family and that's not a problem.

I agree with all others have said, but just wanted to say I'm sorry. Yes, look for a job and yes, take the cruise. It is perfectly fine if you hit the job offer point before you leave to let them know you won't be available to start until after you return from your already planned trip. When you start your new job it will be awhile before you can take another trip, so enjoy this one now :)

PS..If you want to come to NM, my daughter is a labor/delivery nurse and nurses are still a shortage here.

I'm so sorry. First, please take a breath. It will be fine.

I was laid off in September, so I know how you feel.

Your cruise is probably all paid for and planned. If that is the case, then you should plan on going on your vacation.

When you are interviewing (I'd probably save it for the 2nd interview), just make it clear that you have a vacation planned and can start on xx/xx/xx. If you are honest and upfront, a company will not not hire you because of a planned vacation. Also, most companies have background checks, so after the interview and job offer and background checks, you will have time to go on your vacation!

I highly suggest working on your resume and making it shine. Then, post your resume and establish a complete profile on monster.com, careerbuilder.com and any local websites for jobs. I had recruiters reach out to me and that is how I got the two job offers I had. Also, network! Call anyone you know, send an e-mail, tell them in a good way that you are looking for opportunities and wanted to let them know.

Good luck to you!! Please remember, when one door closes another opens!

I don't think anyone can state it better. Good luck and don't panic. Usually all the offers start coming in at the same time and then you merely have to make a decision as to what is best for you.

sorry to hear about this. But you need to look at it this way. It was the best thing that could happen to you. When I was laid off from my last job in IT. My Dad was the one the told me it was the best thing for me and it was true now i have a better IT job and I love it. I make more money and its less stress. It will all work out in the end.

Come and relax now
Put your troubles down
No need to bear the weight of your worries

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFPobQ-ewiA

All I can say is wow, I can't thank everyone enough. ... Now I need a cheaper option for the night before the cruise, right now at country inn and suites our room is over 200

Have you priced the Radisson at Port Canaveral? Also what about priceline. I have stayed at WDW at the Gaylord Palms for $89, by limiting my bid to 4 stars and the Kissemmee area/Lake Buena Vista area only. I believe the only hotels that meet that are the Swan/Dolphin, Gaylord Palms and the Clebration Hotel.

Got blindsided like that once. Two weeks before I got married to DW. Now, we joke about how when she married me, I didn't even have a job.:rotfl2:

Best thing that ever happened to me. We never would have gotten everything done for the wedding if I had been working too, and it led to the best job I ever had!

Enjoy your cruise!

Be honest with your first available date when filling out the application. It wouldn't be unusual to have a date available to be a few weeks in the future.

Good luck!

So sorry to hear about your situation!
As someone mentioned above, you might consider a temp. agency since they are always looking for qualified people. (at least where I am) That way you could take assignments around the cruise and work on your search. I have hired employees in the same situation where they had something planned ahead of time and it did not affect my decision.
Best of luck in your search! Keep your head up and believe that everything happens for a purpose.
:hug:

GO on the CRUISE! take the time to take a breath and see what you want out of the next 5 years and maybe make a change in course you never would have done otherwise. I lost my full time job in May 1991 and was devistated. I spent the summer going to the beach each night when my DH1 got home from work. He had just been 5 yrs remission from Hodkins and we tried to celebrate that by picknicks on the beach. little did we know in August he would develop a complication from the treatment- lukemia. He was gone by september. The job loss was a HUGE BLESSING I spent all summer with my DH. It was ment to be.

As far as temp work I highly recomend it!:woohoo:I worked for 10 years for nursing temp agancies while earning my degree and continued when I needed extra cash once I was working in the mental health field. Once I did temp work I NEVER considered going back to full time for Hospital/nursing home again. Here is why

1. better pay. Back in the 1980's-1990's I was paid between $8-10hr when my co workers were getting $5-7.

2. When hospital politics made it difficult to do the job I would just ask to be placed somwhere else for awhile. I always went back and things were fine agian. Lets face it there is alot of petty stuff that goes on facility floors.

3. Control of your schedule. Unless you choose to be a primary caregiver on a long term case holidays etc are not required. Now the more flexable you are the more you are VALUED and so I always tried to do something on a holiday but I was able to say I"m available from ....to ....on Christmas etc. Because I didnt have kids at the time I usually said 7-12 on Christmas day etc. This gave some moms christmas morning with their kids. Hospitals are so greatful for the help they will take anything they can get. Was nvewr told you have to work whole shift. I worked alot of doubles so I had more days off. Without any compalints from managers and coworkers.

4. You can learn ALOT. I did mostly med/surg at big hospitals but I also worked burn units, hospice, home care etc it was never boring!

I joined 3 agencies with one being my primary and the other back ups. I was always up frount about this. Once I was established at one I would contact a few others and say if they ran out of staff they could contact me in a pich and see my availability.

Downside is that there can be downtimes when an agency doesnt have as many private clients and so you can get less than 40hr. depending on the state those weeks can count toward unemployment. Hence the need for back up agencies to call when its quiet.

I did this while being the main bread winner while my DH1 was going through chemo. It was much more stable than waitressing at a very good resteraunt. More predictable schedule.

Take the time to weigh your options. The medical feild is the one field that cant be outsourced and never runs out of clients. You wil be fine and most likely better off with a little planning.

Good luck!

First, hugs to the OP. We were in a similar situation when my DH, who is our major breadwinner, was laid off just as we were due to make our final cruise payment. We thought about "what if we can't go" :confused3but I could not even imagine disappointing my kids by cancelling a cruise that we had been planning forever and they had been talking about daily!! So, after some sleepless nights and alot of stress, we thought it out and came up with a few strategies to make our dream vacation happen. :yay:First, we thought about the fact that once we made our final payment the amount of money we spent onboard was in our control. We labeled different envelopes: hotel before cruise, tips, spending, gas, etc. We looked at every aspect of our spending to see where we could cut our budget. For example, the $5 per week ($1 per day) I would give each child to purchase concessions at school was dwindled down to $1 per week, and the remaining $4 would be placed in each child's cruise spending envelope. Our Friday night Pizza Hut order was discontinued and we baked store bought pizza instead. Those savings were put into the envelope. We decided not to take any excursions, and instead of the spa day I planned for me and my oldest daughter on the ship, we will go to the local nail shop before we leave. The money that I knew DH and I would spend on adult beverages will now be eliminated because we will bring that on the ship with us (we hadn't planned to do this before)! We now have our cruise tips envelope and our hotel envelope completed. Each child has about $50 they can use for onboard spending, and they understand that that is it! They're so proud because they saved it themselves, and I suspect they will think carefully about their purchases. I also visit the Disney store website, and catch every sale they have. I only purchased one new swimsuit per child (where I had planned to purchase 2 or 3) They will take one from last year. We will mix a few new items with some gently worn items for our cruise wardrobe. The people on the ship have never seen you in those outfits anyway!:rotfl2: We plan to go on our cruise, take advantage of what is free, and have a wonderful time!!!! I hope you'll do the same, and good luck on your job hunt!!!!!!

I do have to say that having this group has been amazing in this point in time in my life, thank you all so much.

I am waiting on one of my ref to update is title with me and then I can start sending applications/upload apps out. Yea!!

I did file for unemployment today, what a bummer....from what I was quoted I am getting about 55% of my pay. I really feel for those who have been here now, I always thought you got majority of your pay.

Good news, I have health insurance through my DH, whom actually had better insurance than me anyway.

If only I could just pick up and move to NM, I would love to do labor and delivery. The hospital here in town is so clicky if you don't know one of the nurses really good you don't get on, they do peer interviews. But I have to think that GOD has plans for me, I have been unhappy at my previous job for quite a while, just always thought I would leave on my terms, I guess I needed a little kick in the butt.

I never really thought about temp agencies, after reading the info I will have to see if there is one in my area. The one perk I am used to is control of my schedule, I am looking at a prn er job right now, never worked here but after doing home health for 3 years I figure whats the difference other than I won't have to worry about ankle biter dogs.

I am hoping that I am not pushing anyone away from me, but I have decided on my start date as June 13, my DH wants to keep our plans like they were and that will be the soonest Monday after we get back.

I will have to have our ta check on the room only discount, that would be cool to stay at Disney and save money. I have never done priceline, is there anyway it could backfire.

Thanks again, everyone has been wonderful

Both times I switched jobs I did it unexpectedly, on short notice, and just before I had trips planned. Both new employers had no problem with me taking time off....without pay of course.

Not sure what your licensing is, where you want to work, what kind of nursing you want to do or where you live but all I keep reading about is the shortage of nurses, and positions going unfilled. My mom is an RN and has been retired for 25 years and the recruting department hosptial she worked for for 40 years still calls about once a year to see if she would like to consider coming back part time.

I just have a general RN license with most of my background being in home health. This area goes in spurts, we have a lot of graduates of nursing in this area so there isn't much to pick from usually.

Well I checked with my TA and she couldn't offer me much help, she states that we have a good deal already. Our 200 a night has where we leave the car at the hotel for the 5 nights, but that still seems like a chunk. Does anyone think I can do any better, what stinks is that I need this for the sat before memorial day.

Also on the resume/application...what should I put for a start date? If I put something asap then I need May 26-June 13 off, but if I put june 13 on an application I am sending now are they going to think I am still interested?

I cant help with the resume question, but as a suggestion, do you have a preference on where you stay? If I remember correctly there are several hotels that are near Disney, that are in the 25-100 dollar range.Some are off 192, some are near Universal.Try this site, I put in for 2 adults, 2 kids for the 21st-25 of May, and Walt Disney World Fl, and looked at what came up. They are about an hours drive give or take from the port. If you have your heart set on staying at the port, go the CIS on the last night before you leave. That should save you about 700 or so based on the Idrive/I4 hotels, and still give you the park and ride option for CIS. Someone also just posted that there is a parking lot that offeres park and cruise, for about 7 dollars a day at Port Canaveral if you want to drive over the day of your cruise. If you need directions, PM me, and Ill point you in the right direction since I live local to WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter