• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OMG...we are moving to Orlando!

So excited for you! Wish I could talk my dh into moving to FL. Be sure to check out http://www.city-data.com/ forums under Orlando. There is a alot of info. on there and one member beckycat is from PA and has lived there for a few years and is very helpful!

Wait until you've had to mow the yard when the temperature is in the 90s and the humidity puts the heat index over 100. Then, you'll realize why not having a huge yard is a plus!

Not to mention having your water bill through the roof due to your sprinkler system!

It's called a landscaping company and sprinkler system with well. ;) There are about five other things I would give up before our mowing company if the need ever arised.

For the OP, do not go by what you are seeing online with regard to houses. They may look nice there but when you go they are dumps OR they are an ok home in a real dump of a neighborhood because of all the short sales/foreclosures. Also you need to look at years when they were built as there are a lot homes down here with chinese drywall.

HOAs can be good and bad. I like living in a deed restricted community. But the one we are living in isn't having any financial problems and it is pretty fair.

Schools area whole other matter as well. You cannot go by FCAT score alone. There is some weird formula involved that makes schools with the same grade actually NOT equal.

Good luck!

Have you thought about Deland? We have dear friends that are there with 2 kids and have spent lots of time there.
We actually looked at a few houses in the neighborhood. Were very happy with what we saw....

Me again! Looks like he will be working near where Orange Blossom Trail meets the Central Florida Parkway...so that seems farther from the towns we were originally looking at (Winter Park and Lake Mary) and closer to the Dr. Philips and Windermere area...am I looking at the map right? So now I need more advice! Can you guys give me some driving distances to towns in the area that we might want to look at?

Wow...going Google Map crazy...
It's way closer to Disney than the other places we were looking!

Just wanted to chime in and say I know exactly how you are feeling! My husband just got a transfer within his company to Melbourne, FL and my job is transferring me too! Only we're on our way down the first week in April :eek: We don't have kids though, so that's a little easier! We're looking at moving into an apartment first, then building a house. We just announced it to our family & friends last week. It's so hard to keep all that excitement inside!

Our original plan was to move to the Orlando area (it's closer to family) but then decided that it would be too much traffic and be too busy for us. But I have to agree with others on Windermere. Winter Garden was also on our radar.

I went down in January to look at houses (and to make sure we liked Melbourne before moving there!) and I have to agree with a PP that mentioned to not rely on photos. Make sure you hook up with a good Realtor and physically visit the neighborhoods. I was shocked at some of the houses where I said "that can't be the same house!"

Check out this blog that I stumbled across: http://therelocatedtourist.com/ It's someone who moved from the midwest to the Orlando area. I think it would be a good resource for you. It's not as helpful for me since I will be moving to outside the Orlando area.

Also, I grew up in Philly, so I think I know what chain you're talking about. If true, my parents will be excited!

Check out this blog that I stumbled across: http://therelocatedtourist.com/ It's someone who moved from the midwest to the Orlando area. I think it would be a good resource for you. It's not as helpful for me since I will be moving to outside the Orlando area.

Also, I grew up in Philly, so I think I know what chain you're talking about. If true, my parents will be excited!

Good luck with your move! And yes, it is the chain you are thinking of!
And thanks for the blog link!

Me again! Looks like he will be working near where Orange Blossom Trail meets the Central Florida Parkway...so that seems farther from the towns we were originally looking at (Winter Park and Lake Mary) and closer to the Dr. Philips and Windermere area...am I looking at the map right? So now I need more advice! Can you guys give me some driving distances to towns in the area that we might want to look at?

From where to where?

We would like to be within 20-25 minutes of the store (corner of Orange Blossom and Central Florida Parkway) -- can be any direction but I need a town with good schools. Right now the towns in the running are Windermere (probably the farthest I'd want to go), Dr. Phillips and Hunters Creek...are there any other towns in that area with good schools?

So the store starts with a W and ends with an A? If so, I am excited as well!

As far a schools, I've heard good things about Windermere, Dr. Phillips and Hunters Creek. Dr. Phillips always looks so nice.

Soooo...today was awesome! Joey met with the relocation assistance person and spoke to the moving people, the mortgage people...everyone except the real estate person from up here.
It's really happening!

We would like to be within 20-25 minutes of the store (corner of Orange Blossom and Central Florida Parkway) -- can be any direction but I need a town with good schools. Right now the towns in the running are Windermere (probably the farthest I'd want to go), Dr. Phillips and Hunters Creek...are there any other towns in that area with good schools?

WP and LM would be way on the other side of town and would make for a very long commute.

Does anyone know anything about Conway?

Some of it's nice some not so nice. Lots of lake front homes. Boone HS is considered to be ok. Oak Ridge and Colonial not so. I think those are the schools in that area.

Congratulations!

We may be following you down. In a year or two though, still working on getting the job. Hopefully you love it and I can use your move to convince Heather how good it is, she wants to go to California.

I think that Dr. Phillips, Windermere, or Winter Garden would be great choices based on where your husband will be working. The great part is that he would not have to get on I-4 to get to work. It is very easy to get to Central Florida Parkway without going on the highway from these locations. I'd be happy to help you with that.

If you get a chance to get down this way and you need someone to show you around the area, just let me know. I'd be happy to drive you around and give you some insights into the area. I'm retired so I have a pretty open schedule.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter